How To Install / Uninstall Mods

RoboMat

I'm also getting this problem, Just FYI, I'm using steam and am using the proper mod file. the C\ users etc path, several mods (such as the pickle+spice mod set, Zspawn and crafting helper) and a few others, they all list on the mods selection page on the main menu, yet some (namely the ones I just listed) are unticked when I reboot.

Checking the Loaded.txt I see that the names are listed as C:\User(blah blah)\[CraftingHelper] (for example) wheras the mods that remain ticked are simply listed as

CraftingHelper (Once again just an example)

I'm doing a full re-installation as I type this, I mean uninstalling the game from steam AND deleting the actual files from C:\User\(Etc)

I'll post to see how it goes after installing just ONE of the mods that kept unselecting, and see how it goes.

I've just done a 100% fresh install of Pro. Zomb. and Nope, it still doesn't work with just ZSpawn installed, quite strange.

If I use the Mods folder in the steam directory the mod doesn't even show up in the mod menu,

While I'm in game I hit the ~ key and nothing happens, so the mod definitely isn't installed or working. 

Solved, it turns out that mods with the mod.info files lacking a line stating

id=xxxxx

failed to load and stay selected on re-boot, I also swapped around the order to match the layout of another mod that did seem to work,

An example of a mod layout which wouldn't stay selected to load:

name=xxxx

poster=xxxx.png

description=xxxxx

How the new layout looks that actually lets the mod work:

id=xxxx

name=xxxx

decription=xxxxxxx

poster=xxxxx.png

I'm not sure if the order is important, but all I know is that this simple change makes it so that mods stay selected, and work properly in game too :D

Hope this helps some folks :)

Well in theory you could add an empty folder to the modloader by adding a mod.info file to it.

What I want to say is, that forcing an outdated mod to be loaded is not the best idea unless you check the rest of the mod for issues too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :D

I just got into PZ and love the game, but after awhile of playing I wanted to see what the game had to offer.  So I took a stroll around the forums and found "Milk's Too Many Items Mod."  I downloaded it and followed your instructions on how to install.  I went into the PZ menu, clicked the mod tab and all that showed up was the example mod.  I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what, but I'm 90% the mod was up-to-date with the game.  Help please :D

• 2 weeks later...

Windows (please correct me you windows folks^^)

• Go to your Zomboid folder C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Zomboid\
  • Find the /mods folder (it should contain an examplemod folder already).
  • Drag and drop the unzipped mod into this folder.
  • Start the game and select the mod in the Mod-Options screen.
  • Reboot and have fun

I installed a MOD, but entered the game menu load MOD, entering the game has not change. 
My game is not complete or computer problem?

Hello!
So im getting the same problem as Soklay. I also installed all my mods the right spot and they should all be compatible, yet they uncheck themselves after i restart it. Any help? 

The mods that unchecks and seemslessly dosent work are 

Craft Helper

Starter Kit

Trapping Mod

Any help? :roll:

trust Harakka, he knows things.

if the mod creator has not updated to the new build 25 3D system, then it is an out of date mod.

hopefully we see some mod creators returning soon to make their stuff work with the new 3D system

Well the Trapping Mod supposedly isnt, i dont know why that isnt working though

And the Kit is all about pressing TAB and recieve some basic stuff. I dont see why that wouldn't work either :roll:

Because the way scripts are organized was changed just now. Every single mod will have to be updated.

It'd be rather nice if the game could somehow notify the user that they're running an out-of-date mod, seeing as it's a very common issue.

So I've done everything I could to get ANY updated mod to work on my computer. Nothing works at all. I've followed every single step precisely as stated, the mods are where they should be and they show up in the mods list along side the example mod. I make sure it's selected and activated with the green check, I reboot PZ and yet none of the mods I try installing work at all. What am I doing wrong?

I am back after a long time(almost a year and a half) and I am very impressed with how far the game has come. I have been trying to learn how to install mods on here and while most are straight forward following the OP's file path a few are not. One I am trying to get work is the corpse remover I am unsure if it works for the build I use (Steam 23) I would like to try nonetheless. It says to put it in the "root folder" what/where is that? I have been sticking files everywhere(lol) in hopes that I can get it to work (Steam local files and my user files). By dumb luck it actually worked and so far doesn't appear to be breaking anything or causing errors. 

Mods that I got to work: Necroforge, Canning, Dried Fruits/Juices, Craft Helper and Apocalyspe+ <------which is effin AWESOME! :D Board games supposedly works its in the modloader yet I have yet to find a game with loot set on "abundant" sandbox mode.

One I can't get to work along with corpse removal is the pickling mod.I have noticed that both of these files are different than the other ones meaning they are a "media" folder with lua/scripts but there isn't a "mod" file included in the folder (the one with the id=).When I try to get both of these into the mod folder they end up combining into one media file.I am not sure if that is ok or if I need to change the name on one to keep the files separate or if its why they both don't work.The reason the other mods didn't work at first for me was because there wasn't a id=insert mod name. Once I did that they worked. Any help to explain where to put these media files would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally speaking, place the mods folder like 'Necroforge'

in the (Your User Name)/Zomboid/mods

and activate in game in the mods screen. (Also at the bottom of this screen it will tell you the path to the mods folder)

I don't know what mods work with what versions.

I am currently on a mega mod binge, I am combining virtually everything from the mods sections I can get my hands on, then trying to work out what is wrong with them (for build 25b).

I have got one of the corpse remover mods working, called corpsemod, it required quite a bit of fiddling, moving and changing distribution file, removing some code that I think is out dated, adding a recipe so that you bridge from regular bleach to the corpsemod bleach.

I want to get apocalypse+ merged in eventually too, but I already use tommy guns and there is some overlap that I would want to smooth out, but I am currently bogged down with many other jobs, fixing errors, updating distribution files, and adding SO MANY of the new items to necro forge.

I haven't looked at the pickling mod yet, just canning, drying, food and spices, and abandoned food.

But crafthelper and necroforge are pretty cool!

The other trick I use for making mods work, is find a mod folder that is working, and then stick everything from your 'new mods'/media folder inside the 'media' folder of the working mod, generally speaking they will merge without issue, it is rare to find two mods with a file with the same name.

So just drag and drop your 'media' folder from your new mod, to the window with your 'working mod' media folder, and click yes when it asks if you want to merge the two media folders.

I currently have everything in one mod folder, the great thing is if one mod is broken, it doesn't break the rest.

you can also get a file from the drip irrigation mod (the mod itself does not work currently which I will soon attempt to explore) BUT it comes with a file called 'necroforgesupport' this basically gives you a 'template' for adding in new items to necroforge, so you would no longer have to hunt for your boardgames. You just have to change four or five words, for each new item!

Another thing I found out about the new 3d version, is if a mod has an item with:

WeaponSprite        =    null,

it will usually make the game freeze up when you try to equip it (if you have the swap weapons mod, you can press tab to make it switch the weapon to secondary and the game continues to work), if you add an existing weapon sprite to this like shotgun (for guns) or axe(i think) or Knife for melee weapons it works fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since version 2.9.9.17 introduced a nifty modloader to the game, mods have now their own folder. This means no more cluttered folders aswell as easy installing and uninstalling of mods!!! (clyde)

Windows (please correct me you windows folks^^)

• Go to your Zomboid folder C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Zomboid\
  • Reboot and have fun
Mac OS
  • Go to your Zomboid folder /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Zomboid
  • Reboot and have fun
Linux

Coming soon ...

Uninstalling mods

Simply remove the respective mods from the /mods folder or remove them from the ingame mod-options screen.

So i have been playing for a while now but havent really gotten online and worked with mods......in my mod screen i have nothing, also i have downloaded a mod for build 27 im not sure if its for #1 but my build is 27 #1 so anyhelp is welcomed would love to start a online group to build with and also like to play with some extra guns

I've not installed a mod manually before, I mostly use launchers as I'm always afraid that I'll break something and someone will scream at me but I feel adventurous today (Yes I did spell it right). I've installed your lock-picking mod, but it isn't showing up in the mods list in-game. Im not sure whether it was unzipped and im not sure how to unzip it but If this is a problem is it compatible with the current build? Ik it may be build 28 by the time you read this in which case same applies. 

Thanks a bunch, 

Ickle.  (tophat)

Hello!

Could I use mod in a multiplayer game?

I'm trying put the Craft Helper 1.2 mod files in this following folders (Server side), but all the cliente players get error to connect on the server.

C:\Users\XXXX\Zomboid\mods

D:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\ProjectZomboid\media\lua\cliente\mods

Thank You

• 4 weeks later...

I've not installed a mod manually before, I mostly use launchers as I'm always afraid that I'll break something and someone will scream at me but I feel adventurous today (Yes I did spell it right). I've installed your lock-picking mod, but it isn't showing up in the mods list in-game. Im not sure whether it was unzipped and im not sure how to unzip it but If this is a problem is it compatible with the current build? Ik it may be build 28 by the time you read this in which case same applies. 

Thanks a bunch, 

Ickle.  (tophat)

Someone recently posted up a build 27 version of lockpicker, you can find the link 'currently' at the end of the lockpicker thread.

to unzip it, you will need a program, google something like winrar, or 'unzipping .rar files' and you should find free software for doing this.

The other thing to check is that you put the folders/files in the right place.

At the bottom of the mods screen in game it should show you the file path to where your mods need to be, so make sure you put them in there.