How To Install / Uninstall Mods

RoboMat

Since version 2.9.9.17 introduced a nifty modloader to the game, mods have now their own folder. This means no more cluttered folders aswell as easy installing and uninstalling of mods!!! (clyde)

Windows (please correct me you windows folks^^)

• Go to your Zomboid folder C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Zomboid\
  • Find the /mods folder (it should contain an examplemod folder already).
  • Drag and drop the unzipped mod into this folder.
  • Start the game and select the mod in the Mod-Options screen.
  • Reboot and have fun
Mac OS
  • Go to your Zomboid folder /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Zomboid
  • Find the /mods folder (it should contain an examplemod folder already).
  • Drag and drop the unzipped mod into this folder.
  • Start the game and select the mod in the Mod-Options screen.
  • Reboot and have fun
Linux

Coming soon ...

Uninstalling mods

Simply remove the respective mods from the /mods folder or remove them from the ingame mod-options screen.

Windows (please correct me you windows folks^^)

1. Go to your Zomboid folder C:/Users/<username>/Zomboid
  2. Find the /mods folder (it should contain an examplemod folder already).
  3. Drag and drop the unzipped mod into this folder.
  4. Start the game and select the mod in the Mod-Options screen.
  5. Reboot and have fun ;)

Hey 2 Robomat and all of the Windows-using-Zomboiders out there!

first of all Sry for my - I think overall more than horrible - english grammar and stuff like this ;D

But I think you will be able to follow and understand me at the end... more or less I guess^^

Kay, here´s why I´m writing:

With the Windows path direction you will only open your current savegame folder. I don´t know yet if the Steam Version will use this path for its savegamefiles too... I will have a look at this later maybe^^

The following path shouldt guide you to your Steam-Version  Zomboid--Mod-Folder... Of course only  if iinstalled steam with the common path etc pp^^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\mods

here you will find the examplemodfolder Robo talked about... Now, have fun ;D

Greetz, by Fabz

• 1 month later...

Here's what I did, I'm a mac user, I went to my USER folder>Zomboid>mods>paste the unzipped files. Is this correct? Cause during the mod menu I don't see anything except the example mod

Afaik there are no mods that work with the current interim build ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the latest Desura stable build download and I'm trying to use mods, I have found the mod folder, place the zip files in the folder (not in the script and stories folder inside the mod folder), and nothing happens. I start the game and I don't see a mod options menu.

I love the mods but they (probably more of my own problem) are not working for me.

I have the latest Desura stable build download and I'm trying to use mods, I have found the mod folder, place the zip files in the folder (not in the script and stories folder inside the mod folder), and nothing happens. I start the game and I don't see a mod options menu.

Make sure that the mods are actually for the current version of Project Zomboid. You can easily tell by looking at the title of the threads and checking if the version number (for example [2.9.9.17]) matches the version you are playing. Some mods haven't been updated yet.

Besides that the current modloader of the Steam Interim Build 64 Bit has some issues with loading certain mods -  this will be fixed in the upcoming release of PZ though  :)

Turns out I have 2.9.9.10. I'm tempted to get my Steam key and go for 2.9.9.17. Maybe that will fix some mod issues. I tried unzipping the files into the mod folder, leaving the zip files in the mod folder, repeating the first 2 in Mod/Script folder, and the list goes on. I won't give up.

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

very new to the modding scene but huge fan of PZ and all that goes into it. Recently downloaded it from Steam, however all methods i've seen explain that the game folder should come with a preexisting mod folder. In my Zomboid Download this folder does not exist, and i'm at a loss to figure out how i can mod without it. Any sort of help with this or explanation would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks to all,

Jack

Hey guys (tophat) , 
I found a pretty annoying bug with the installation of mods, sometimes you would install the mod properly and it would even show on the in-game menu tab, however the mod wouldn't work at all.

With the newest steam build mod loader all the mods are required to have a mod.info file this one needs to consist of 5 basic elements,
these are listed in here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2011-how-to-use-the-modloader/ "name, id, poster, description and url" .

For some reason some of the mod developers do not add the id element, this brings(at least for me) an annoying problem:
The game tries to find the id for the mod and fails in doing so, therefore it adds the address of where the mod is located (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Zomboid\mods\MODNAME) then the game lists the game in the "loaded.txt file in the mods folder with this "default" id.
The game then recognizes the mod and lists it as loaded, but when you load a world and the mod doesn't work at all.
I came with a solution for this(it's really simple you should have figured it out by now):
Simply edit the mod.info file and add the id element to it, use the name of the mod, preferably.
It should look something like this: "id=NameOfTheMod" 
To do this i used Notepad++, but i'm sure it works without it, simply right click the mod.info file, click Edit from the drop-down list and add the id element.

Well i hope this is help full to some one (clyde) , good luck and continue the zombie slaughter!

• 1 month later...
Guest koscherno

i use PZ in desura and no mod is working. i've them all in my mod folder. but ingame i can'T see them in the mode menue.
does anyone knows how i can fix it? the mods are all compatible with my version (: 2.9.9.17)

Hello, 

very new to the modding scene but huge fan of PZ and all that goes into it. Recently downloaded it from Steam, however all methods i've seen explain that the game folder should come with a preexisting mod folder. In my Zomboid Download this folder does not exist, and i'm at a loss to figure out how i can mod without it. Any sort of help with this or explanation would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks to all,

Jack

Are you saying you don't have the "mods" folder in you PZ steam directory?

If so, simply create one! Use these exact terms: "mods" with out the speech marks.

Hope I helped!

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded a few mods and they show up in the mod menu, but when I check them on and restart the game, they turn off....
I put them in the Users\username\zomboid\mods folder and they all have mod.info files, which include the important stuff, and the name which is what it needs to work. So I know the mods themselves aren't broken, just not turning on for some reason.
Thanks,
Sok.

It's still doing the same thing, but before I deleted it, it said C:users\username that stuff instead of just the mod name by itself, is that a problem? Also, now the nonworking mods don't show up at all, probably because they're not loaded in the game and they won't load.

Ok so I used to have a few mods and since the new build non of them worked. So I deleted the mods and tried to reinstall them, for instance the Craft Helper mod just doesn't work

When you say "a few mods" it really doesn't help, since it is typically a question of individual mods being out of date. Crafthelper for example hasn't been updated for the new mod system as far as I know. You'd need to list the mods you're using. Scratch that, a wizard told me Crafthelper's been updated. It just don't work for some other reason. Anyway, listing the mods you use would still be useful.