kaizokuroof

Giralang - A map loosely based off of my home town/ suburb

Hiya - Ever since the modding tools came out, I dreamed, as I'm sure many of you Project Zomboid fans dreamed, of surviving in my home town!

I saw that someone else created their hometown of Denver in Canada, and dedicated it to the memory of his or her friends and successfully recreated, to scale and replicas of each building. I however, don't wish to go through that much effort and as such, will only be basing it loosely - the only things that I will replicate is probably my own home and a few select buildings/homes of friends and landmarks of my childhood - the rest is simply a scaled down version. Now you're probably wondering where the hell I come from and without further ado! Australia! ACT, Canberra to be exact.

I wanted the map to be highly urbanised, with lots and lots of houses, as well as focusing on open spanses of wilderness. I also wanted to incorporate more water into the map, allowing fishing to be a viable source for food once water and power shut off. My home town is already like this, suburbs and a few centralised city areas. I scaled back the city, but placed it relative to my suburb.

There are lots of path ways that I plan on fencing to create bottlenecks, meaning it's risky to take too many shortcuts. I want to focus zombies in the city areas, as well as certain areas in the residential sections.

Currently the map is 8x8 cells but in the future I may expand it out and include a few more suburbs as well as expand the city areas out further, this is only once I complete the current 8x8 cells.

I plan on creating as many unique houses as possible, I estimate about 500+ houses will be on the map, but there could be more or less depending on the size of each house. Not all houses will be unique, but more or less it will be very rare to find the same house in the same area.

Without further ado, here is a screen of the PNG file, it still needs some slight touch-ups and details, this is probably my 5th version - I'm still working on the vegetation map and will post up more pictures shortly in the next couple days. Just wanted to get any feedback you guys might have regarding logistics of the map (before it's set in stone)

yK5jePK.png

Main city areas are bottom right and top right.

Giralang is the suburb just right of the small lake on the left of the map.

Crace is the suburb up from the highway.

Kalleen is the suburb right of Giralang.

Each suburb will have a select few shops/schools/unique to that suburb.

More screenshots later.

Oh cool - Is that confirmed about animals? Either way, that's all the more excitement for the wooded areas.

Slight update, I've mapped out the vegetation today, pretty happy with the results, but I'm not sure how to display the full map with vegetation, so any help would be appreciated. ^^

Here is a picture of the map in world ed, for scale (cell scale) for streets and the like, once again thoughts and comments appreciated!

x2CB67v.png

You don't need to make a veg map, just make it black and the vegetation by hand in Tilezed. Much easier in my opinion.

Thanks for your tip :) That's what I plan on doing - I've mapped out the basic veg for forests and the like, but left all the streets/surrounding suburb black, so that I could manual control the amount of foliage around those areas.

I've been working hard on making houses! I now have 20 unique houses in total, 10 facing south and 10 facing north. Still a long way to go, but progress is progress! but because I've been making houses so much, I thought I might take a small break and start a practice apartment complex.

I've seen one in the WIP section a while ago, so I took heavy inspiration from it (from memory) and began mapping it out. I don't think it's really any good, the spacing is a little out of whack, but I think I'll finish it. There are 5 units on each floor, I plan on making it a 5 story complex and adding in stairs to the North East corner, but I need to edit that section to allow the space for stairs.

Here's a WIP screen so far: 

BWWmcud.png

Awesome! I've always wanted to make a post apocalyptic Canberra! Once I've played around with the map tools a bit I might start work on Civic or Woden. Are you still working on this? Let me know if I can lend a hand.

Awesome! I've always wanted to make a post apocalyptic Canberra! Once I've played around with the map tools a bit I might start work on Civic or Woden. Are you still working on this? Let me know if I can lend a hand.

I am, but progress is pretty slow - I lost a lot of work about a month ago, about 80 unique houses went up in flames and as such motivation has been at a lul. I might dial back my aspirations a little as I think I'm getting too far ahead of myself.