All books should function as skill books

Mrxbath

I was bored in my safehouse, and on the verge of depressed. I then read 4 books in about 1 minute, and my character was just fine.

Maybe all books should have a set amount of pages, and it takes a much longer time to read them (like skill books), but instead of boosting your XP multiplier, it reduces your boredom and unhappiness.

It would have a set amount of pages (i.e. Magazines have 30 pages, newspapers have 20, books have 200.) So for example you could have one book that you've been reading for awhile, but haven't had a chance to finish so you read it in your spare time instead of reading 4 books in one sit-down like in the current game. 

Just though this would add to the immersion factor a bit! Then maybe when you're done with a book it's benefits are cut in half for you because you've already read it, instead of just disappearing as if you burned it.

Already gave you a like yesterday. It would work as a great complement to traits like slow or fast reader.

It could be a good mod (or a modification of an existing one), although I can't do it myself in the foreseable future.

I don't know about de 0,5 factor for re-read, but trials should clear that out.

I would suggest that the re-read factor is influenced by passing time, maybe starting as a massive 90ish % reduction but going down (or the bonus going up) after time passes.  It could also be influenced by reading different material in between, altough that would be difficult to implement with only generic book-magazine-newspaper.  Maska_zgz has made a mod adding 1199 specific books-magazine-newspaper http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/11417-literature-mod/?hl=%2Bbook#entry166065.  I have not tried this mod nor any other mod at the moment.

I think the books should possibly boost a reading skill that speed up reading. then it should also be able to give little bits of random exp. to certain traits. Not much just like 2-5 xp to something like foraging. I mean if i read something like lord of the flies i would gain a little bit of survival knowledge. Possibly. Not all books do this but its a nice feature.

IMO books should never be consumed, maybe make them rereadable but with lowered reduction in boredom and unhappiness. 

I know I enjoy reading some books I've read before.

Maybe add a cool down to a previously read book for it to gain some level of reread value.

Great idea. I would love to read books again and it makes sense. I feel if you read a book to much you have the chance of causing boredom. If i read the same 2 books repeatedly i would get bored too.