Foraging

SomeRandomGuy

Currently it seems like Foraging is just massively OP, there's not much point in leveling it because even with level 0 you can still scavenge enough berries to keep from starving, especially when you can eat 1/4 of a berry at a time and they never seem to go bad. Would it be possible to have a limit to the number of times you can forage in an area? The way it is right now you can just build a tiny wood hut in the middle of nowhere with a couple rain barrels and a firepit then put a log wall around it and just forage the same spot of ground endlessly to build up a stash of berries and survive nearly indefinitely.

What if some berries were poisonous and made you violently ill (pain, movement reduced, weakened melee, decreased perception, increased water intake to compensate for vomiting, maybe even drunken stumbling) or caused damage over time like Bleach and could actually kill you if you ate too many before noticing or were already sick/injured?

The only way to tell if it's safe to eat or not would be to have a higher level foraging skill (5+?) or a job like Park Ranger or Former Scout that come with foraging bonuses. Afterall it's true that anyone can just walk into the woods and gather berries or mushrooms or what have you, but that's a very dangerous thing to do unless you know what's safe to eat and what's not.

I like how foraging is disabled in towns and such, but why can we forage in an area that's had sand/gravel dumped on it or has a structure built over it? I've run into a few log houses where you can forage inside (though I suspect this may be a bug because there are grass and bushes that grow through the floor), and then there's the firepit areas that are 3x3 or larger patches of bare sand.

I don't use foraging much, but I'm pretty sure some of the berries are actually poisonous and do kill, plus I believe that you can't forage the same area for a period of time after excessive foraging. 

I always got the impression that foraging was intended mostly for online, where almost all of the loot has been scavenged, allowing people to literally forage for the bare essentials in the woods. 8-)  

Foraging definitely is very strong skill, its balanced by the fact you cant power-level it by reading books, but yes definitely it is the most efficient way to get food and basic materials if you dont use loot respawn and as someone who has gone through the pain to level it to the max gathering thousands of things, berries do go bad after about 2 weeks and there are poisonous berries that if you eat too many (3 or more) will actually kill you. Still the best way to get food is to combo farming cabbage into trapping rabits with it. Needless to say however the game is in early development and things are very much a subject to change.

I guess I never left them long enough to go bad, I generally forage for a couple days worth at a time then dump the stones on random zombie corpses and put the twigs/branches in the firewood pile then eat the berries as needed. It's odd that they last longer than other foods which I've seen go bad in 2-3 days without refrigeration, especially fruits and vegetables.

Poisonous berries must be really rare, or maybe I've just been really lucky. I have yet to run across any and I forage often in survival, it's usually about the only thing I do when I'm waiting for a broken bone to heal so I go through dozens of them while sitting around.....still it's nice to know someone on the dev team had thought of that, I just hope it gets more fleshed out as the game gets worked on.