Permanent effects after heavy injuries, cosmetic scarring, over-time survival perks

KyousukeAzai

Hi, so recently there has been a topic regarding permanent scars on your health panel, which was quite interesting to watch and  read, lot of people liked the idea, myself included and it got me thinking a little, why not take it a little bit further, now there is way more ways about doing this, but here is the core idea.

So, as a long time survivalist and an absolute idiot at times I tend to break my face over a lot of objects (jumping out of windows on a second floor and shattering my legs into million pieces is my absolute favourite or setting my rear end on fire while cooking that one's good too) and honestly, if you were to break your leg in a zombie apocalypse, thats a pretty heavy injury to sustain and without a doctor around, even splinted there is real possibility you would suffer some sort of permanent damage or psychological impact of some sort.

So, the idea is to have a character after such a heavy injury gain some sort of a "stat penalty" or affection to them say you break your leg and there would be a chance your character would not recover to 100% movement speed after that, rather maybe 80% max, not so much to make it a pain moving about, but still enough for you to notice and to not consider these kind of injuries just like any other scratch. But physical injuries also often incur some psychological impact as well, someone who has had pretty heavy burn happen to them probably isnt going to be all that comfortable around a fire, or someone who slit their arm open and bled all over the floor when crawling through a broken window would be more conscious about it the next time. As far as the cosmetic side of things the most obvious things would be the scars or slightly "missaligned" limbs from having a bone grow back a bit crooked, maybe a limp and stuff like that, it would add a little bit of flavour and more realism, it would also encourage the player to again be more wary about heavy injuries.

Another thing was that not only bad things would come from this say, which is another thing I want to mention, over-time perks. We all know there are traits at the start when you create your character, but when you begin you are still just your regular Joe who just found out there are a lot of deaders roaming outside, the only thing to you is just your natural talents. These perks I had in mind would be more alongside the experience through surviving. Say you use the fire axe to chop of zombie bits all over the place, after a few hundred kills(or levels in blade profficiency) you would learn where and how to cut them better and with a little bit less effort, making you tire slightly less when swinging your weapon of choice. Or say you like to keep your distance and shoot them suckers from a far, after some time you would have enough guns gone through your hands you would learn to understand them a bit better, increasing the maximum and decreasing the minimum range or maybe learning how to stuff a few extra bullets into a mag for maximum efficiency.

Now you could argue that these improvements is what the levels are there for, however I mean them as lets call them milestones in your progression, since experience right now is a steady line, it would be nice to have a little bonus for reaching the higher levels, by making them a little bit more impactful that way.

All in all I would imagine some people would find permanent penalties for such things annoying so probably have this be an option/feature that could be checked in a sandbox or the options menu (similar to reloading) would probably be required.

Anyway I'm sure this was suggested before in bits and pieces, so I just had thrown it all together in my brain and if not an official feature, it would make a cool mod at least.

So, the idea is to have a character after such a heavy injury gain some sort of a "stat penalty" or affection to them say you break your leg and there would be a chance your character would not recover to 100% movement speed after that, rather maybe 80% max, not so much to make it a pain moving about, but still enough for you to notice and to not consider these kind of injuries just like any other scratch

As far as I understood, basically you want to have "a scar" in a health panel, because you won't see anything visually on your buddy, as he is too small and minecrafty  :P

I can say to you, that in other way you mean to make longer recovery time. Psychological impacts are the moodles of your character. Personally, I think that person with broken bones and recovering, should kinda get depressed or unhappy. Or he should recieve unhappiness immediately when injury occurs, which is more fair and life-like. 

I don't like your idea with permanent penalties, because after some time this would reduce you to dust. Basically - it means longer recovery time, but permanent penalties.. well, you are no doctor, but this is way too severe even in RL and permanent something is very, very rare. Way too rare to be considered seriously in such a game. 

Well, no I dont necessarily want to make the recovery times longer (for that we have the slow healer trait) I just meant to have some assortments of cosmetic touches for their long-time survivors, since you cant really tell the difference today between someone who just started and someone who survived for months and cleared thousands of zeds. And the actual impact on your character would be a one time thing so what I meant if you mutilated your leg you would have a CHANCE to suffer from a small penalty, but that penalty would not add up again if you did suffer the same injury again later on (for the sake of playability) so it would be more of a one time thing, that is all. And as far as the moodles, the psyche changes I had meant were somewhat a bit different, so say normally if you make a campfire normally your character is completely calm and normal, but say if you were to suffer a reasonable burn injury, after that your character would maybe become a bit shifty around open fire (say over a certain distance your character would very slowly build the "stressed" moodle) it would not be that big of a deal if any at all, but it would help immersion and people would be able to feel a bit of empathy for their characters (those that enjoy that sort of thing anyway).

Again as I said it would probably have to be a feature that could be turned off in the options menu for people that are not that much into the idea and hell there is a lot of ways this could be implemented in a purely cosmetic way only.