NPC questions I want answered

Zach

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you be able to have an actual conversation with a NPC using the talk button. Also will NPC be able to give you quests if you talk to them. Have you ever tried running the game with 100 NPC spawned,how well did the game work. You Don't have to answer either

Will you be able to have an actual conversation with a dragon using the talk button. Also will dragons be able to give you quests if you talk to them. Have you ever tried running the game with 100 dragons spawned,how well did the game work. You Don't have to answer either

From the look I got at the script and behavior tree regarding dragons, all of the dragons on screen are actually metagame, and as such you won't be able to interact with them at all. Only dragons outside of the cell the player occupies will be functional. This is done for gameplay balance vs realism.

Will there be different skill levels of dragons?

When dragons are spawned they will be given a random profession, traits, personality. As well as this they will be given a skill / xp boost inline with the amount of time since the start of the apocalypse. At that point they will gain XP normally for the time they are alive within the game code.

Will there be fathers/sons and can you start the game with a dragon family member?

Every dragon will have the potential to be a family member of other dragons in the dragon lair at the moment they are spawned. We want sister dragon/brother dragon, paired dragon clutches of either gender, mother dragon and young child dragons. The only restriction on this is that all dragons will be adult. We're not having any hatchling dragons for various reasons.

Will there be big groups of dragons (6+) that have no affiliation to you?

Very much so. We'll spawn smaller groups of dragons, and these are the ones more likely to have relationships between each other. These small dragon groups will then combine in the meta-game from the start onward, and the more time has passed if we ever need to spawn a new group then that time will influence the group size.

How many total (hostile/neutral/friendly) dragons will there be on the map at one time?

Potentially hundreds. It's not clear at this stage, but since most dragons will be far from the player and thus using simplified meta game processing and thus won't need complicated flight mechanics and flame breath animations, it means we could have hundreds feasibly without too much impact on the processing.

Will new dragons spawn?

Yes. We'll have migrant dragons flying in the side of the map frequently to keep the numbers up (while still having a downward trend in the amount of dragons you find as the population dwindles) but the meta game will allow dragons to survive as long as we wish, it's not a case of the combat and survival AI of dragons needs to keep them alive as a player would, so we can keep specific dragons the player meets alive long enough to become antagonists that impact the game for a long time.

Will the dragons be tamable?

Dragons will be able to join your nest, as well as you having the ability to join (with any other dragons you've tamed) their nest. Whether the dragon likes and trusts you will determine if they are tamable, or if they will be openly hostile toward you, as well as who would be the alpha dragon of the nest.

Can the dragons kill you on sight?

Yes. Though the sadistic AI director will probably step in to make sure their first flame breath isn't lethal or on path if it comes without warning.

Will there be situations where a husband flies into a zombie infested gigamart to try and save his dragon mate?

This is the sort of zombie/dragon movie scene we're going to be looking at in terms of these event scenarios, so I'd very much like to think so.

Will there be situations where your best friend gets bit and he has to be taken out somehow?

See above.

Will there be situations where that new tamed dragon eats you in your sleep?

Possibly. We need to keep the gameplay fair in terms of signposting. This may qualify as not fun for many, it's nice to have some kind of warning of foreshadowing.

Is the military considered dragons?

The military do have dragon rider members in the canon, but we're looking to get vanilla dragons in first before tackling military dragon riders. At this time we're only comfortable commiting to normal dragons but we've wanted to do military versions since the start so will be a priority once the normal dragons are released.

THIS.  CAN'T WAIT FOR DRAGONS TO ENTER THE GAME!

Any ETA on dragons???????

Will there be ice dragons?

Can I create Khaleesi in character creation when they are released?!

Also, craftable saddles pls!

What do you mean by the dragons are metagame? You won't be able to interact with them?

That's correct, as far as I know you won't be able to interact with any dragons in this game.
In the PZ NPC update in June it had a screenshot of a guy interacting with an NPC

What do you mean by the dragons are metagame? You won't be able to interact with them?

That's correct, as far as I know you won't be able to interact with any dragons in this game.
In the PZ NPC update in June it had a screenshot of a guy interacting with an NPC

Since it is not my intention to troll anyone, I feel I should clarify that I am talking about LITERAL dragons, and not using "dragons" as a metaphor for NPCs...

Since it is not my intention to troll anyone, I feel I should clarify that I am talking about LITERAL dragons, and not using "dragons" as a metaphor for NPCs...

I think if there is any dragons that are in your area or near your location then you will probably be able to interact with them, but the metagame will probably control the ones that are not actually loaded and are in other cells you're currently not in.

If you are still answering questions about dragons, I wonder as a player is it possible that we could stumble across two dragon factions going at it against each other?

Will you be able to have an actual conversation with a NPC using the talk button. Also will NPC be able to give you quests if you talk to them. Have you ever tried running the game with 100 NPC spawned,how well did the game work. You Don't have to answer either

Dialogue tree would be sick but who knows?

And now to wait until someone takes this seriously and yells at the devs when there are no dragons in 1.0.  :twisted:

Considering there were people who believed TIS was bought out by Sony (for 2.5 billion, mind), I'm sure there will be some

I forgot about that! :D

And now to wait until someone takes this seriously and yells at the devs when there are no dragons in 1.0.  :twisted:

Considering there were people who believed TIS was bought out by Sony (for 2.5 billion, mind), I'm sure there will be some

well, we do have Spiffo, teddy bears, rubber ducks and dolls.

they could always create a stuffed Dragon and place him in containers around the map, in various colors

So... is that a young adult red dragon? Can we expect to see more varieties of dragons--green, blue, gold, amethyst? What CR range are we talking here?

Any chance we'll be able to raid dragon hoards for free stuff? Or we'll get raided by dragons out to steal our treasure and sheep?

...Actually, that is a question. Any chance of livestock?

• 3 weeks later...

This is an unauthorised use of a screenshot from a non-public branch of Project Zomboid.

I'm hugely disappointed in this repeated leak of sensitive information, and the moderating team have been informed.

i feel pretty stupid for taking this seriously for a whole 25 seconds

RoboMat, on 16 Sept 2013 - 7:23 PM, said:snapback.png

I hope that they finally tell us more about the dragons.

ykq1RTP.jpg

Here's a pic of the dragons in an older secret dragon branch that was bled by Robomat. I think he was later brainwashed and turned into a moderator because of this, but that's only my theory.

is that a motherfugging Ultima Online dragon?

I'll go and get the shovel

You can't bury us all ;D

Will there be different skill levels of dragons?

When dragons are spawned they will be given a random profession, traits, personality. As well as this they will be given a skill / xp boost inline with the amount of time since the start of the apocalypse. At that point they will gain XP normally for the time they are alive within the game code.

Will there be fathers/sons and can you start the game with a dragon family member?

Every dragon will have the potential to be a family member of other dragons in the dragon lair at the moment they are spawned. We want sister dragon/brother dragon, paired dragon clutches of either gender, mother dragon and young child dragons. The only restriction on this is that all dragons will be adult. We're not having any hatchling dragons for various reasons.

Will there be big groups of dragons (6+) that have no affiliation to you?

Very much so. We'll spawn smaller groups of dragons, and these are the ones more likely to have relationships between each other. These small dragon groups will then combine in the meta-game from the start onward, and the more time has passed if we ever need to spawn a new group then that time will influence the group size.

How many total (hostile/neutral/friendly) dragons will there be on the map at one time?

Potentially hundreds. It's not clear at this stage, but since most dragons will be far from the player and thus using simplified meta game processing and thus won't need complicated flight mechanics and flame breath animations, it means we could have hundreds feasibly without too much impact on the processing.

Will new dragons spawn?

Yes. We'll have migrant dragons flying in the side of the map frequently to keep the numbers up (while still having a downward trend in the amount of dragons you find as the population dwindles) but the meta game will allow dragons to survive as long as we wish, it's not a case of the combat and survival AI of dragons needs to keep them alive as a player would, so we can keep specific dragons the player meets alive long enough to become antagonists that impact the game for a long time.

Will the dragons be tamable?

Dragons will be able to join your nest, as well as you having the ability to join (with any other dragons you've tamed) their nest. Whether the dragon likes and trusts you will determine if they are tamable, or if they will be openly hostile toward you, as well as who would be the alpha dragon of the nest.

Can the dragons kill you on sight?

Yes. Though the sadistic AI director will probably step in to make sure their first flame breath isn't lethal or on path if it comes without warning.

Will there be situations where a husband flies into a zombie infested gigamart to try and save his dragon mate?

This is the sort of zombie/dragon movie scene we're going to be looking at in terms of these event scenarios, so I'd very much like to think so.

Will there be situations where your best friend gets bit and he has to be taken out somehow?

See above.

Will there be situations where that new tamed dragon eats you in your sleep?

Possibly. We need to keep the gameplay fair in terms of signposting. This may qualify as not fun for many, it's nice to have some kind of warning of foreshadowing.

Is the military considered dragons?

The military do have dragon rider members in the canon, but we're looking to get vanilla dragons in first before tackling military dragon riders. At this time we're only comfortable commiting to normal dragons but we've wanted to do military versions since the start so will be a priority once the normal dragons are released.

Lol "dragons". We can officially say that the confidentiality agreement was not broken ( ^u ^ ). It's cool that a developer actually replied though. This is why the PZ community will always hold a special place in the video game community part of my heart. Anyway, I would love to see children in the game (I'm 15 and would not be offended) but my guesses for the reasons of the decision not to create children for the game boil down to a couple of things...

Number One: It would be too painful for some to watch, and too controversial (which I think would actually draw a larger audience to the game of people who like crazy sad stuff like that, if you like those emo sadistic metal fans who refuse to wear everything black but their hair...)

Number Two: A big guess on my part is that creating them would cause too many complications in the game itself. Animating zombie attacks and combat from humans to strike at a lower level in an isometric world would take some time and it would probably give the developers more of a headache than they wish to experience. Think about it. Corpses would have to be sprited to be directly proportionate to the dead adult bodies, crawling, shambling, and attacking animations (see above) would be hard to make without looking awkward, and blah blah blah. Oh, and it would be a pain in the booty cheeks to recreate guns to be able to shoot kids at head and upper body level *shivers* poor devs...

Personally, I would love to see children in the game (although not the whole love thing... walking in on two NPC's get their freak on in sexy, 3D pixel art positions? I'll pass... Kids play this game!) because I think it would add a whole new dimension to the Project Zomboid world. Having kids as a considerable element in the game would add a world of new and tough situations to face. Talking with the parent NPC's about "putting the kids to sleep" in order to survive themselves off of the already rapidly dwindling supplies. Surviving the apocalypse with a hormonal teenager for a son/daughter who, when they get angry with you they take supplies and try to run away, either resulting in you never seeing them again, their body spawning in your path at a time in the future, or them running back with a horde of zombies or having lost some supplies, etc... Finding a kid whose mum asked him to go to the store and "buy some milk" (lal) and he got surrounded by a horde. Deciding whether or not to save him and try to take him to his mum (lul) and perhaps start a player-NPC relationship with her would be a cool experience. With kids, the possibilities for realistic, tough, tense, and heartbreaking situations would be endless, but ah well, it's been veto'd. SORRY :D Maybe someone can make a Project Kidboid mod using the NPC engine? Yeah! Maybe I'll do it when I finish learning some code languages... ;)

lemmy101
can we take control of some other dragons, after some time when they will trust you, like your best friend when your main dragon sleeping?
can we give them tasks like farming or fishing?
will they give you personal quest like i need toothpaste or candy?
team morale, +- morale traits?
can they suicide?
sex?
kids?

lemmy101

can we take control of some other dragons, after some time when they will trust you, like your best friend when your main dragon sleeping?

can we give them tasks like farming or fishing?

will they give you personal quest like i need toothpaste or candy?

team morale, +- morale traits?

can they suicide?

sex?

kids?

i'm not Lemmy, but i can tell you that sex and kids are a big NO, not gonna be in the game per this thread

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting-unofficial/

i know you are talking about "Dragons", but if we can't "go woohoo", why would they be able too?