NPC questions I want answered

Zach

Will there be different skill levels of NPCs?

Will there be fathers/sons and can you start the game with a NPC family member?

Will there be big groups of survivors (6+) that have no affiliation to you?

How many total (hostile/neutral/friendly) NPCs will there be on the map at one time?

Will new NPCs spawn?

Will the dragons be tamable?

Can the NPCs kill you on sight?

Will there be situations where a husband runs into a zombie infested gigamart to try and save his wife?

Will there be situations where your best friend gets bit and he has to be taken out somehow?

Will there be situations where that new friend of yours kills you in your sleep?

Is the military considered NPCs?

Feel free to delete this if you find it pestery.

Let me know your questions

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure myself but I am only assuming some of the answers to your questions.

1. I think each and every NPC that you may end up encountering in your travels will have all sorts of different skills/traits/profressions that you may have to say rely on if you need a particular skill that you may not have yourself (or it is too low to really do anything with on your character).

2. I think it is entirely possible, but I have a feeling it may not because I remember the devs were talking about how they weren't going to allow children or anything like romantic (but I think this was player-npc, not neccesarily npc-npc).

3. I would like to maybe see big groups that you could stumble across, and I think what will happen most of the time is if you stumble across a group or a loner they will not be affiliated with you at all and they may or may not be hostile to the player.

4. I'm not sure, I would guess it would maybe be a random number (probably configurable in sandbox mode with how many NPCs you would want in your world, like how you can configure the zombie amount).

5. I am not sure, I would think not - unless they do a similar thing as how zombies spawn (^like above there probably would be an option in sandbox mode to configure if you want NPCs to spawn or not spawn).

6. Huh?

7. I think from what I was reading that there may be people that are hostile (like bandits, raiders or whatever they end up being called when they are released).

8,9,10. I think having little stories like this would be kind of nice, but I think unless you are joining them or just happen to stumble across them it may be rare for these to occur. I do not think that they should have a thing implemented where the NPC can kill you in your sleep without you having control - I can understand if they would implement something where a person may be tempted to attack you, but give warning first.

11. If military is added in, I would assume they would be NPCs. I would almost think (depending on the lore used) they may be like bandits that shoot on sight or some may be neutral/friendly.

^These above statements are of my opinion and this is what I think may or may not happen for your various questions.

I'm not sure myself but I am only assuming some of the answers to your questions.

1. I think each and every NPC that you may end up encountering in your travels will have all sorts of different skills/traits/profressions that you may have to say rely on if you need a particular skill that you may not have yourself (or it is too low to really do anything with on your character).

2. I think it is entirely possible, but I have a feeling it may not because I remember the devs were talking about how they weren't going to allow children or anything like romantic (but I think this was player-npc, not neccesarily npc-npc).

3. I would like to maybe see big groups that you could stumble across, and I think what will happen most of the time is if you stumble across a group or a loner they will not be affiliated with you at all and they may or may not be hostile to the player.

4. I'm not sure, I would guess it would maybe be a random number (probably configurable in sandbox mode with how many NPCs you would want in your world, like how you can configure the zombie amount).

5. I am not sure, I would think not - unless they do a similar thing as how zombies spawn (^like above there probably would be an option in sandbox mode to configure if you want NPCs to spawn or not spawn).

6. Huh?

7. I think from what I was reading that there may be people that are hostile (like bandits, raiders or whatever they end up being called when they are released).

8,9,10. I think having little stories like this would be kind of nice, but I think unless you are joining them or just happen to stumble across them it may be rare for these to occur. I do not think that they should have a thing implemented where the NPC can kill you in your sleep without you having control - I can understand if they would implement something where a person may be tempted to attack you, but give warning first.

11. If military is added in, I would assume they would be NPCs. I would almost think (depending on the lore used) they may be like bandits that shoot on sight or some may be neutral/friendly.

^These above statements are of my opinion and this is what I think may or may not happen for your various questions.

Nice! 6 is a joke.

Will there be different skill levels of dragons?

When dragons are spawned they will be given a random profession, traits, personality. As well as this they will be given a skill / xp boost inline with the amount of time since the start of the apocalypse. At that point they will gain XP normally for the time they are alive within the game code.

Will there be fathers/sons and can you start the game with a dragon family member?

Every dragon will have the potential to be a family member of other dragons in the dragon lair at the moment they are spawned. We want sister dragon/brother dragon, paired dragon clutches of either gender, mother dragon and young child dragons. The only restriction on this is that all dragons will be adult. We're not having any hatchling dragons for various reasons.

Will there be big groups of dragons (6+) that have no affiliation to you?

Very much so. We'll spawn smaller groups of dragons, and these are the ones more likely to have relationships between each other. These small dragon groups will then combine in the meta-game from the start onward, and the more time has passed if we ever need to spawn a new group then that time will influence the group size.

How many total (hostile/neutral/friendly) dragons will there be on the map at one time?

Potentially hundreds. It's not clear at this stage, but since most dragons will be far from the player and thus using simplified meta game processing and thus won't need complicated flight mechanics and flame breath animations, it means we could have hundreds feasibly without too much impact on the processing.

Will new dragons spawn?

Yes. We'll have migrant dragons flying in the side of the map frequently to keep the numbers up (while still having a downward trend in the amount of dragons you find as the population dwindles) but the meta game will allow dragons to survive as long as we wish, it's not a case of the combat and survival AI of dragons needs to keep them alive as a player would, so we can keep specific dragons the player meets alive long enough to become antagonists that impact the game for a long time.

Will the dragons be tamable?

Dragons will be able to join your nest, as well as you having the ability to join (with any other dragons you've tamed) their nest. Whether the dragon likes and trusts you will determine if they are tamable, or if they will be openly hostile toward you, as well as who would be the alpha dragon of the nest.

Can the dragons kill you on sight?

Yes. Though the sadistic AI director will probably step in to make sure their first flame breath isn't lethal or on path if it comes without warning.

Will there be situations where a husband flies into a zombie infested gigamart to try and save his dragon mate?

This is the sort of zombie/dragon movie scene we're going to be looking at in terms of these event scenarios, so I'd very much like to think so.

Will there be situations where your best friend gets bit and he has to be taken out somehow?

See above.

Will there be situations where that new tamed dragon eats you in your sleep?

Possibly. We need to keep the gameplay fair in terms of signposting. This may qualify as not fun for many, it's nice to have some kind of warning of foreshadowing.

Is the military considered dragons?

The military do have dragon rider members in the canon, but we're looking to get vanilla dragons in first before tackling military dragon riders. At this time we're only comfortable commiting to normal dragons but we've wanted to do military versions since the start so will be a priority once the normal dragons are released.

I'll go and get the shovel

Use the Axe from the mystery box first and don't forget to bring bleach and towels to clean the giblets. Also, considering there is no "burry the dead" mechanic I guess you'll also need some gasoline and a few matches.

Also, lemmy, you're awesome. Thanks for the early mondoid. I love this community.

Thanks for the update, Lemmy. Looking forward to the dragons, they should have been in game since day one.

A few things you didn't cover, though:

If a dragon gets bitten by a zombie, do standard rules of infection apply? Can we expect to see zombie-dragons in the air? If we are bitten by a zombie dragon, which half of our corpse reanimates?

Supposing, by chance, that a dragon takes an arrow to the knee (fired, of course, from the fully automatic exploding-head Daryl Dixon model crossbow you also forgot to mention), Will the dragon have the script to bandage said knee?

Thanks again for all the info, again, can't wait for this update.

Really looking forward to the dragon release. On the topic of traits, is there any news on whether or not we'll see dragons with negative traits such as hemophobia, etc.

Agoraphobic dragon dlc?

Yup - traits work via chains. Each trait has numerous other complementary traits that can be chosen in a random chain when the dragon is created. Dragons have more traits than players do at present, though we'll look into adding these as proper traits wherever relevant. But the traits lead onto each other, so for e.g. if it rolls an aggressive trait for a dragon, aggressive may lead to cruel or brave or other traits that may complement it, and the path it picks through these chains of traits means often you get really really nice, really really nasty, or more grey and mixed dragon personalities.

Really looking forward to the dragon release. On the topic of traits, is there any news on whether or not we'll see dragons with negative traits such as hemophobia, etc.

Agoraphobic dragon dlc?

Yup - traits work via chains. Each trait has numerous other complementary traits that can be chosen in a random chain when the dragon is created. Dragons have more traits than players do at present, though we'll look into adding these as proper traits wherever relevant. But the traits lead onto each other, so for e.g. if it rolls an aggressive trait for a dragon, aggressive may lead to cruel or brave or other traits that may complement it, and the path it picks through these chains of traits means often you get really really nice, really really nasty, or more grey and mixed dragon personalities.

That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it in action.