Who Has Been Bitten and Survived

fluffe9911

I've had a character survive a bite and a scratch.

It was on the multiplayer server I host for my son and I. No mods and no admin stuff.

My guy had the hypochondriac trait (bad idea, wouldn't pick that one again).. We were pretty well established; had a farm, guns, a good set of walls, and were out on a supply run at the shops along the Muldrough freeway. Everything was going good until my guy got tired while clearing a pack of zombs with the trusty fire axe.. I got grabbed, pulled into a big herd of zombs, and bitten. My son had been staying at range, picking off stragglers with his pistol. I told him over the teamspeak to just leave me and get back to base, thinking I was going to die immediately.

I managed to fight my way out of them somehow.. Thinking "what have I got to lose now?", I opted to try and kill off rest of the herd, getting scratched in the process. Once it was all over, I headed back to base to drop off my stuff. After getting everything put away, I told my son to come with me outside the walls and give my guy a merciful end with his pistol. He refused though, pointing out how much excess food and meds we had laying around. "Just try and live daddy!" he told me. I laughed and pointed out the chances of surviving both the bite and the scratch (good opportunity to teach some statistics!) but he insisted I not suicide. "Oh, alright" I conceded. :oops:

I figured I'd just patch my guy up, eat good for a few days, and see what happened. I told him to keep his gun ready, just in case I died and turned (is that mechanic in the game yet?). After day two or so, my son was mentioning that he had the 'anxious' moodle when I stood too close to him. "Well that's a bad sign" I thought.. My guys health was really starting to be a problem and I was hammering through our pain pills and food like crazy trying to keep him pain-free and well-fed. After day 3 or so, with a 'Fever' moodle staring me down, I decided it was a dumb idea to waste so many resources on such a hopeless endeavor and headed out of the base to go die on my own. He tagged along, I guess out of morbid curiosity. :???:

Here's where it gets weird:

I made my way down the street looking for some bleach to drink. Not finding anything in the nearby houses, I opted for the rotten food in the neighbors fridges. "Ummm.. Are you eating all that?" he said when he noticed the empty fridges.. "Hahaha.. Yeap!". I ate all sorts of stuff; moldy steaks, old cheese, putrid chicken, rotten fruit and veggies.. I thought for sure my guy would just drop dead after all that but he didn't! After cleaning out the fridge in the 3rd or 4th house, his fever moodle and pain went away!! After staring, bewildered, at the screen for a minute, I asked my son if I was still causing the 'anxous' moodle when I stood close to him. He told me I wasn't! I thought for sure my guy would get sick and die after a couple days from all the spoiled food but it never happened! We just sorta went about our regular routine after that and the character lived on with no issues what-so-ever!

He'd prod every once in a while about the incident though; "Hey daddy, there's a rotten steak in here.. Is your guy hungry?"

I'm betting it was some kind of bug, or it had something to do with that hypochondriac trait I had picked. I guess it could have been incredible luck; didn't get infected by the bite or the scratch, and managed to have no ill effects from all the spoiled food, and the 3 days of sickness was all in his head..? I have no idea.

I severely question the people saying they've survived bites more than 90% of the time.  Either you've been bitten like 2x, are the luckiest bastards to ever live, or are not being entirely truthful.  Last I checked chance of infection from a bite was 95%.  That makes your odds incredible.

I don't think I've ever survived a bite, though last time I tried was B29 or maybe 30.  Before such medicinal possibilities as now.  Game I just finished, as soon as I got the bleeding bite, I went suicidal attacking.  I've often had just as bad luck with scratches, except said game.  2 scratches before, both not infected.

What I'd like to know is how much, in terms of a stat kinda thing, a single use of disinfectant and then a bandage does, as opposed to an entire bottle in one go, then a bandage....  And also how much more effective a sterilised bandage is against a rag from a sheet...  I suppose knowing the numbers would spoil the mystery a bit!!!

To put context on this in the game Unreal World, a wound can only be treated once per kind of treatment, once a day. i.e. clean it once, bandage once...  PS great game, check it out.