I Shall Remain - zombie topdown RPG

Skinnyman

Hi guys!

Been a while since I was active, but RL is taking it's toll! Fortunately I found I Shall Remain (ISR) on Steam and was able to play it quite a bit. Yes, I have abandoned PZ as it's to addictive for me and disables my real life.

About this game, even if it's an early access, the team does a great job, constant updates and fixes, are very active and a guide has been posted.

As a zombie, post-apocalyptic , RPG fan, I Shall Remain caught my attention, but I was a bit skeptical about it being early access. There are very good examples (wonder :P), but also very bad examples (releasing "final" game just to catch a holiday sale), but I gave it a try! I wasn't disappointed at all! You got zombies (d'oh!), progressive skill gain, great story, weapons from bare fists to sniper rifles, you can play solo or pick up teammates as you advance and even the graphics are really good. As for the mechanics of the game, those are pretty complex and get even more complex if you choose harder difficulty setting and/or to play alone as there's a lot of micromanagement involved.

As for the story, some people may get offended as it's about the end of WW II and the Germans managed to release a deadly virus (z0m81e) in the US, but I'm not giving any extra spoilers. There's some balancing to be done, but they are constantly working on that; if you get the grip of the mechanics it may become easy, but some people admit that even normal difficulty is to hard.

PZ did a great job and has a great community; I still remember the first time I played it on that tiny map and dying to much. But, from that tiny map, we ended up having multi player! From my opinion, I Shall Remain has great potential, but lacks the awareness and I really want to see this project thrive and, maybe, just maybe, evolve to a state where we'll have multi player as well!

So, if I got your attention, at least take a look at this game and share some thoughts about it! If you have doubts or questions, feel free to ask; I managed to finish the game and I have some knowledge of the game's mechanics!

Cheers and, together, we can survive the apocalypse!

So, anyone gave it a shoot?

The last update seems that intended to increase the difficulty as it becomes easier in the second half; if you're lucky to get a nice unique, you'll end up using it through all the game. All uniques have a fix stat that you'll always get and few more, but, being an unique, the bonuses have higher value. I myself was lucky on my impossible play through w/o any teammates and got critical hit chance and instant kill chance bonuses, but also ended up finishing the game with level 63 which was a pretty high.

The devs intend to "force" the player to use all of the game aspects to progress. I like the challenge aspect of a game as you can increase your weapon's level (but lowers maximum durability), you can add enhancers to it, upgrade its rarity so you'll have some planning to do. Upgrade this item, dismantle that, sell that for serum (ingame currency and you'll constantly need it to lower your infection), kill a few more zombies for extra experience, train that skill so I can unlock that doctrine, buy few more land mines, conserve this ammo for harder bosses, finish this quest, increase heavy weapons rank to unlock enhanced attack, buy 3-4 more medpacks and the examples can continue, but you get the ideea.

Cheers to y'all!

• 2 months later...

Just a small update, folks!

Found out they are working on the animations which seems to take a lot; that's the reason why it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Btw, any of you tried it? I'm really curious about opinions!

Cheers!

Hi there, Ghosk!

No, it's not a survival like PZ and the only scavenging will be the predefined junk piles. It's a top down zombie shooter, but if you go on impossible difficulty it may become a survival game. :-D Didn't have time to check the latest update, but the difficulty should be increased so you'll have some micromanagement depending on your skills and difficulty.

Hi there, Ghosk!

No, it's not a survival like PZ and the only scavenging will be the predefined junk piles. It's a top down zombie shooter, but if you go on impossible difficulty it may become a survival game. :-D Didn't have time to check the latest update, but the difficulty should be increased so you'll have some micromanagement depending on your skills and difficulty.

Ah well, I love the zombie apocalypse only for scavenging and surviving, I'm not really in the shooting genre, but will check it out. Thanks.

Hahaha, same here, mate!

But sometimes I feel the urge of rushing in a pile of zombies on killing them all with "brutal mode" w/o needing to worry about scratches, resources and so on. ISR was good for me as I don't have that much free time, but gets the job done when I do.

KF/2 is good and so are other types, but I forgot to mention that I prefer games with some advanced RPG elements.

There were no zombies, but, to give a clear example, I loved Oblivion with OOO installed; some bad ass vampires, but there were times when I could enjoy a killing spree in a low level vampire den. :D