Small revamp of smoking

MrZombifiedGamer

Okay, so this has been a gripe of mine for a long time. Why does smoking make you unhappy? It shouldn't, that makes absolutely *no* sense what so ever. lol

Instead, here's what I'm suggesting. We making a 'smoker' trait and when you don't have a cigarette it makes you angry (however it negates the sadness portion of the cigarette) in other words removes it entirely. 

The longer you go without cigarettes the more agitated you become now to avoid this you can optionally not take the smoker trait (however) then cigarettes would make you unhappy and even nauseous. 

This has been bothering me for some time and essentially makes smoking totally pointless. But I love my cigarettes so when it's fixed I'll have something else to stock pile! :D

Oh and the smoker trait should obviously be a negative not a positive. Since it's only partially severe on how it effects gameplay I suggest a negative 2 or 3 maybe 4 but no higher than that.

You could have a nicotine (invisible) stats who go up each time you smoke a cig and slowly decrease overtime if you don't. The highest this stats is, the bigger the debuff if you don't have a cig. Add to this a time-since-your-last-cigarette timer scaled in duration to this stats. This way your character can not only pick a cigarette habit, but loose it too.

Just my idea on the matter without introducing a new trait, great suggestion.

Also, "smoking" cigarettes shouldn't cure starvation...

Try it sometime. Wait until you are peckish / hungry, then smoke a few. You won't get the positive "fed" moodles, but the starving moodles will go away. This is because Cigarettes are classed as "food" to allow them to be consumable. I'd love if cigarettes could be made into a pill, but the devs have the code for pills locked away pretty well and don't seem to want to make them accessible for modders.

The longer you go without cigarettes the more agitated you become now to avoid this you can optionally not take the smoker trait (however) then cigarettes would make you unhappy and even nauseous. 

Completly agree with your suggestion, but may suggest also a weaning period, something like a month, after it the player addiction should sloooowly fade away day after days (and of course go back to 0 when they smoke again, even just one :twisted: ).

Anyway, I think smoker trait (+2 only considering you can get through it after one or two painfull months) is an awesome idea considering they are doing a trait revamp with build 31.

Love it! I like the idea of adding addictions to the game. Cigarettes, alcohol, painkillers, and anti-depressants could all have a chance to cause addiction.

Yeah I agree, the game definetly needs an addiction system, my girlfriend is a psychologist and she ALWAYS makes fun of me when she sees my character often reducing it's unhapiness of staying home two days eating not fresh food by swallowing a whole pack of anti-depressant and having no addiction side-effects what so ever  :-)

But still, I understand that the progressive skeaky addiction thing is hard to implement, on the other hand, being a smoker addicted character from start should be easier to add.

What you could do for now though is just go into the Project Zomboid game folder, media, scripts, and find the items.txt file and just change the value for cigarettes to whatever you want. Normally the happy change is 10, could make it -10 to give it a happyness bonus, or -100, who knows~ whatever you want, depends on how much your character would like to smoke. :)

But I do think you're right, Im not a smoker myself but i dont see why smoking would make people unhappy... doesnt make sense to me that eatting a tv dinner would make you unhappy either now that Im thinking about it. Maybe I should go change that too. Anyway I wish we could add a list of favorites that our characters liked. For instance, if your characters favorite food is hamburgers then eating one would give you a pretty big happyness bonus.

What you could do for now though is just go into the Project Zomboid game folder, media, scripts, and find the items.txt file and just change the value for cigarettes to whatever you want. Normally the happy change is 10, could make it -10 to give it a happyness bonus, or -100, who knows~ whatever you want, depends on how much your character would like to smoke. :)

I did not know that. Thank you very much. 

I personally think this is a great idea. Would make for a really nice 2 point drawback.

I have a server I've been playing on for a ferw months that's just for me and my  friends, and it's low loot with no respawn, so eventually there would be no smokes left... however, it would be cool to see (much further down the road, i know theres much bigger fish to fry) the ability to grow tobacco, and roll your own cigarettes, as a self generating way of fueling your addiction in late game

I like it but here's some of my thoughts

• The smoker trait should also let you start with a pack of smokes and a lighter.
  • Reduced endurance, or more difficulty increasing it.
  • would mess with your smell, making it easier for zombies to detect you