Anybody play with infection off?

LeetgamerBoi

I myself have decided to disable the one bite mechanic entirely, because i just got sick of having to commit suicide and remake my character and go grab my stuff every time i got bit. 

And so first aid becomes useful.

It just seems too useless, counting on the fact most injuries in SP are bites and scratches, which have a high chance of infecting you, and killing you no matter how good at medicine you are.

Which i don't really like, because we get no way to protect ourselves.

I will only enable it if we get one of two things- a secondary form of infection mortality settings, which you can choose between Being infected guaranteeing death, to being infected being survivable if treated like any other serious virus,

Or we can get armor that is bite proof (perhaps dog bite training armor out of a police station.

Or at the VERY LEAST, LET DISINFECTANT KILL THE VIRUS LIKE PRACTICALLY ANY OTHER VIRUS, PARASITE, AND BACTERIA!

Have you ever turned it off?
And if so, why?

The zombie infection might not actually be from a pathogen, since antibiotics and stuff like that are never supposed to work. The devs have explicitly stated that they want the origin of the disease to be a mystery and never revealed to be a virus/bacteria/prion/parasite/fungus/space radiation/magic spell/curse/wrath of god to punish the sinful/robot parasite/alien/nanobot whatevery-do/satanic invasion.

And on-topic, I actually haven't done that yet! I may try that but it seems like it would make my games too easy.

I personally haven't. I like the game being unforgiving; however, I don't suicide when I get bit/scratched. I roleplay it out to the very end and fight it as long as I can, just like you'd do in real life. And hey- there's always a slight chance of not being infected, it could just be a normal, every day wound infection.

In your other thread you were arguing that you wanted the game to be more challenging, but setting your game on "no infection" is precisely removing all challenge from the game ^^

Also, as Rathlord said, there's a tiny chance (around 5% I think) that you can survive a bite. Never lose hope !

Nah, I'm too used to it being on. It's made me used to being extra cautious and I really like the tension that comes with knowing that one bite is pretty much death. Turning it off, for me at least, kind of defeats the purpose of zombies being a risk, but each to their own.

I agree with this, it's what makes PZ so good. After a hundred hours of play, zombies are still a genuine threat no matter the situation. Clearing/looting houses is still tense, sometimes frightening. Hordes will never be anything less than a huge threat. The permadeath/infection mechanic is the only thing that maintains that feeling and it's amazing that a game can maintain that tension. 

That being said, atm almost as soon as I get queasy post zed damage, I organize my gear for my next character and then go fight zeds till death or RP drink bleach.  I think there should be a mechanic where you can try to lower your chances of being infected once you get bit/scratched but it should be a huge resource drain to even attempt and not do very much anyway. I'm thinking things like disinfecting the wound lowers zombification chances by .5%, pouring a bottle of bleach on it lowers it another 1%, keeping it impeccably clean and staying very well fed for a straight week.

Basically if you get scratched, if you use all your food, all your medical supplies, sleep 12 hours a day for a week you can lower your scratch infection chance from 25% to 20%, or bite chance from 96% to 87%. I feel like it would be loads more immersive. If you get bit in an apocalypse, you would try everything you had to try and stop what you know is basically inevitable, even if it barely helps...

And if you miraculously avoid zombification? Suddenly you've taken a huge resource dent, you're still pretty sick and you have some sort of detrimental trait. 

If you've ever played with the hypochondriac trait, you can have some really intense mock-battles against infections. Virtually every time you get scratched, you get sick but you don't know if it's real or just the trait! Either way, you DO have to deal with the sickness and hole up in bed for a few days, eating big meals and taking meds. The first few times not knowing if the infection is "real" or not is exhilarating. You can even get to the point where you have a fever that's knocked out half your health, all the negative emotion moodles and then things turn around and it turns out you were just being a hypochondriac. The first time this happened I literally jumped off my couch and whooped (Roommate was gone thank god) in relief. 

That's what fighting a zombie infection should be like! An edge of your seat uphill battle that leaves you exhausted even you if you win :)

I'm not sure about the bite armor being planned, I know different clothes will have different "armor levels", but I don't think we'll have "duct-tape armors" and such. I personnaly wouldn't like it, unless it gives a harsh penalty to your movement speed, sneaking and exertion rate.

I'm not sure about the bite armor being planned, I know different clothes will have different "armor levels", but I don't think we'll have "duct-tape armors" and such. I personnaly wouldn't like it, unless it gives a harsh penalty to your movement speed, sneaking and exertion rate.

Bite proof armor would be ok if it made you slower and zombies can grab you more easily, and with each hit it gets less effective.

----

I've just never liked this mechanic, hey, i balance it out. I refuse to live anywhere but inside a city. and i only use firearms unless i am out of ammo.

But i have zombies set to fragile and weak so that i can break free from the grip of the horde and burn them.

i have it so zombies respawn every week.

It's also because my computer hates fullscreen, and just a few minutes ago went to a blackscreen because adobe fucking office made a popup that made the fullscreen go black...

This game needs an autopause feature.

Because while i fought with my computer to get back into the game, i got bit seven times, miraculously bandaged everything, but died anyway after eating all 45 cans of food...

Terminal damage is a bitch how it decreases without blood loss.

In your other thread you were arguing that you wanted the game to be more challenging, but setting your game on "no infection" is precisely removing all challenge from the game ^^

Also, as Rathlord said, there's a tiny chance (around 5% I think) that you can survive a bite. Never lose hope !

I want my base to not have to be a fortress of solitude as long as the curtains are down and i don't shoot a machine gun. 

I just got back into the game after buying it (used to play a while back with a freinds account) So i wanna get back into the swing of things.

But it'll take a while until i'm walling off half of muldraugh and becoming a farmer and get bored because no zombies come bang on the walls..

But i still notice the game does not move the zombies constantly.

In most games, their zombies at least wander around for no bloody reason.

Even in past versions they did that!

You'd think they would just randomly walk some random way...

How else would the zombies cause an outbreak?

they'd kill everyone who came outside, and then people would only have to wait around inside with curtains closed and be fine.

with sprinters on, upon setting foot outside you have at the most... 28 seconds to live. the only way to have a slight chance is if you turn off infection and go out and hide in the forest and take as much water as humanly possible from the first house. 

I want my base to not have to be a fortress of solitude as long as the curtains are down and i don't shoot a machine gun. 

I just got back into the game after buying it (used to play a while back with a freinds account) So i wanna get back into the swing of things.

But it'll take a while until i'm walling off half of muldraugh and becoming a farmer and get bored because no zombies come bang on the walls..

But i still notice the game does not move the zombies constantly.

In most games, their zombies at least wander around for no bloody reason.

Even in past versions they did that!

You'd think they would just randomly walk some random way...

How else would the zombies cause an outbreak?

they'd kill everyone who came outside, and then people would only have to wait around inside with curtains closed and be fine.

They do wander around, they do not migrate as they plan to have in the future, but I notice they wander around quite a bit more than they used to.

Didn't they used to pretty much never stay still? They always were walking- somewhere... 

I've actually never touched that option. While I can appreciate HAVING the option, the thought never seriously crossed my mind. To me, one of the most terrifying things about all zombies is entirely mathematical (and in the case of this game, moot, but still present for me mentally)...it boils down to the fact that when one of us humans dies, the zombies gain another soldier. It's not just -1 Humans, it's also +1 zombies. Our chances of a bounce back as a species lessens that much more.

Not that I hold anything against folks that turn infection off. However you enjoy playing is how you should.

I agree with this, it's what makes PZ so good. After a hundred hours of play, zombies are still a genuine threat no matter the situation. Clearing/looting houses is still tense, sometimes frightening. Hordes will never be anything less than a huge threat. The permadeath/infection mechanic is the only thing that maintains that feeling and it's amazing that a game can maintain that tension.

Wait, what? Hordes as they are a tiny, inconvenience at best. Just run around yelling then when they bunch up into a large mass just lead them away from what you want, and then break line of sight. Hell I actually find it difficult to get them all to follow me - its seems once 50 or some zed are following you, its hard to get more to join the group. I assume that either A: there is a mechanic to prevent slowdown, or B: the zed block line of sight for the new zed.

I think the most I've been able to get like this is about 150-200 or so (obviously they don't like standing still for a head count), but the mob was large enough to fill about half of the screen at max zoom.

The only single time i played with no infection on was when i was toying around with the sandbox with the ¨sprinter¨ zombies.

I did a run of

-Fragile

-Super strong

-No infection

-Usian Bolt speed

That was the only way i mange to live around 1 week before i saw a real horde of sprinters running down to the office building i was on and getting mauled to death.

Taking the infection off is something i would never do with normal zombies, i really cant see why anyone would do that at all.

The infection is the only thing that keeps us from becoming death incarnated again (Also the new endurance system thank you devs), the fear of losing everything because you went into combat, you are suppost to avoid combat, not embrace it.

The best moments i had in MP was trying to fight off the infection with a friend, we had so many hours spent in those characters, one of us got bitten and we went home, drink a sip of whisky each and start going at it with everything we had to fight it off. He died 1 day later.

Also, bite armor? I think it could work, but like a single chance only to cover the bite, after the single bite/scratch, you are good to go and can get infected.

I'm a glutton for punishment, therefore, I'd rather die in really ridiculously idiotic ways.  For instance, walking into a bathroom without properly being aware of what's in there and being bitten.

Yes it's annoying sometimes, but that's the point of the game.  You're going to die.  Every scratch or bite that kills you makes you that much better with the next character.  That much more aware.

I like to involve myself like I *am* the character, so it's devastating when I get bit, especially after working up my character.  It's also funny though, and intriguing.

A recent one, after my friend was walking away from 3 zombies with a ton of loot on him...  I run up to his pleads for assistance, knock the three zombies off of him, and end up with one lunging back toward me and biting me.

The group got a lot of loot, I got a lot of death.

God I love this game.