Infected clothing

UnmotivatedZombie

I know that it isn't really in the game, but I never make bandages out of zombie clothes because of the risk of infection. You'd think that the clothing on a zombie would be both exposed to infected blood from the injury that infected the individual in the first place as well as infected blood splatter that may have happened while the individual was still alive and defending themselves before succumbing.

what I mean is, for realism and lore, making bandages out of a zombie's clothes is asking to be infected unless the bandages are sterilized. And in situations when you are bleeding, and do not have any disinfectant or alcohol, you would be forced to chose between possible infection, bleeding out, or using your own clothes and risking illness from the environment.

Yes, i agree and if you put the zed clothes on and get injured there is a chance that you maybe infect you. Thats with the bandages, i dont think that alcahol kills the bakteria,virus whatever.

Yes, i agree and if you put the zed clothes on and get injured there is a chance that you maybe infect you. Thats with the bandages, i dont think that alcahol kills the bakteria,virus whatever.

the problem with this particular assumption is that the lore the game follows makes it so we don't know just what started the outbreak in the first place. so we cannot actually say that it is a virus, bacterial infection, food poisoning like in Zombieland, radioactive contamination from a space probe returning from venus, which was deliberately exploded in the Earth's atmosphere ......we don't know and never will know. therefore we cannot say that this, that or the other will prevent us from being zombified. the only 2 ways we know of that will keep us from being a zombie is not getting bitten or scratched.

• 3 weeks later...

the problem with this particular assumption is that the lore the game follows makes it so we don't know just what started the outbreak in the first place.

yeah, but you'd assume that the clothes would have infected blood on it from the wounds/bites that infected the person in the first place. even if the flesh itself isn't directly an infection risk, the dried/congealed blood on the clothes would make putting them on an open wound a bad idea.

the problem with this particular assumption is that the lore the game follows makes it so we don't know just what started the outbreak in the first place.

yeah, but you'd assume that the clothes would have infected blood on it from the wounds/bites that infected the person in the first place. even if the flesh itself isn't directly an infection risk, the dried/congealed blood on the clothes would make putting them on an open wound a bad idea.

It seems logical even if there was no background knowledge.

the problem with this particular assumption is that the lore the game follows makes it so we don't know just what started the outbreak in the first place. so we cannot actually say that it is a virus, bacterial infection, food poisoning like in Zombieland, radioactive contamination from a space probe returning from venus, which was deliberately exploded in the Earth's atmosphere ......we don't know and never will know. therefore we cannot say that this, that or the other will prevent us from being zombified. the only 2 ways we know of that will keep us from being a zombie is not getting bitten or scratched.

Yes, i agree that we don`t know how the outbreak started, but, if a zombie scratch/bite you you get zombified. So we know that it`s some kind of virus/bacteria that it`s transmited from blood/saliva, i don`t think the thread it`s too wrong, i mean if the zombie cloth is full of fresh infected blood, don`t you think?

I agree. We get scratched-bitten - we get ..problems. 

Its a virus which can't transmit by air, but is present in body liquids (blood, saliva)

You put this shit on your open wound? WOA WOA EASY THERE I d never do this irl 

As far as I know, food has several stages - fresh, ok, rotten. I believe, same can be done with clothes - clean - dirty - zombie clothes (they may be clean but IDC, zombie wears them!!).

You get dirty clothes - you wash them. You get infected clothes - boiling water plz. I pity sweaters, but no way around. No way I d wear that off zombie without boiling water and maybe disenfectant JUST TO BE SURE

• 9 months later...

Similar contradictions happen all the time. Take TWD comic as an example - they were wearing zombie guts on their clothes to mask themselves but dipping say an arrow or knife in the zombie guts and sticking someone with it infects them basically 100%? Then later on you have people wearing the zombie skins LOL. So just forget consistency in something like this, seriously, it isn't worth the effort haha

It's hard to disagree with bandages made form zombie clothing. While it could be argued about wearing them, bandaging should pose a risk of zombie infection. That would actually made clothing in containers worthwhile (especially in multiplayer!), and force player to carry more bandages/clothes on them, instead of salvaging zombie clothing.

Actually, I'll make the game harder for me, as I usually skim on clothing to maximize my carrying capability :)

That goes on the assumption that whatever causes the infection is transmitted by blood. Since you don't risk infection when you bash a zombie's brains in with a bat (and believe me, you'd get splattered) and instead when you're scratched or bitten, that to me rules out blood alone as a source of transmission.

We also don't know how long the infection can survive outside (if it even can) another organism, so the clothes might be perfectly safe (I could see this as an option for sandbox or mods though, but not necessarily standard to the game).