VASH581

With the vihecles on the way, I think it will be pretty cool if we add some abandoned boats in the docks. Obviously you're still trapped in the map and can't escape but at least boats will provide some fun experience especially for fishermans.

Right now I have 3 ideas: paddling boats, motor boats and houseboats.

Paddling boat is pretty straight forward. You need 2 paddles in both hands, sit in the boat, and paddle them. You'll exaust pretty quick, but it requires no gasoline.

Motor boat and houseboat require gasoline, but it's faster and require no paddle. There are beds in the houseboat so you can sleep on it without worry about zombies since zombies can't swim.

The disadvantages are that you may get seasick on the boat and since not everyone is a sailer, the boat will occasionally not go to the designed direction or lose control. Sometimes boats will even leak water and you'll sink in the bottom of the lake if you don't return to the shore.

I hope you like it!

First, the sinking thing would be hard considering it's an isometric world and there are "underground" levels to the map. This would first have to be added, which would make people want basements, which the devs would have to add. Second, having boats with beds and stuff would make for easy ways for players to exploit and use it as a cheap zombie safe-haven, similar to the floating bases that plague multiplayer as of today. These aren't bad ideas, it's just that there's a lot of work to be done on the road leading up to the creation of boats IF it were to be added. I think a mod would be in order (and a good one) before suggesting it to the developers so they can get a good idea of how it would be done fairly and realistically. 

My opinion (summarized): boats would be good, but only small travelling paddle boats that have been carefully made with balance between usage and limitations, so as to keep it from being exploited.

Why can't zombies swim?

They don't have required level of movement coordination to swim.

They would float in water and nothing more really.

First, the sinking thing would be hard considering it's an isometric world and there are "underground" levels to the map. This would first have to be added, which would make people want basements, which the devs would have to add. Second, having boats with beds and stuff would make for easy ways for players to exploit and use it as a cheap zombie safe-haven, similar to the floating bases that plague multiplayer as of today. These aren't bad ideas, it's just that there's a lot of work to be done on the road leading up to the creation of boats IF it were to be added. I think a mod would be in order (and a good one) before suggesting it to the developers so they can get a good idea of how it would be done fairly and realistically. 

My opinion (summarized): boats would be good, but only small travelling paddle boats that have been carefully made with balance between usage and limitations, so as to keep it from being exploited.

You can't compare floating base which is just a exploit and nothing else to realistic idea of boats.

I think a little larger boats could be in game. You could sleep and storage things in there but you will still need to go out to loot food etc.

So large boats would not be heaven, you will have to get food and other things to survive in long term.

Also NPCs would be huge threat to someone with a huge boat.

Boats are just good idea in zombie apocalypse scenario like being in forests is more safe than in center of city.

Why can't zombies swim?

You can't compare floating base which is just a exploit and nothing else to realistic idea of boats.

I think a little larger boats could be in game. You could sleep and storage things in there but you will still need to go out to loot food etc.

So large boats would not be heaven, you will have to get food and other things to survive in long term.

Boats are just good idea in zombie apocalypse scenario like being in forests is more safe than in center of city.

Why can't zombies swim?

If you want realism then why not let Zombies swim?

as hrot already said, they would lack the coordination to swim.

realistically, they would be more likely to walk into the water and just keep walking.

they would not know how to tread water, no doggy paddling, not even the basic lay on the back and float.

Corpses have a tendency to float due to buildup of decomposition gases. Depending on the exact mechanics of the zombies coming back to life, they may or may not have a natural buoyancy which could conceivably allow them to float on top of the water tiles.

They definitely wouldn't be able to swim, though, and would just sort of float around aimlessly. This, of course, is completely dependent on whether or not the mechanism of zombification allows for decomposition gases in the first place.

Sorry, I should have make it clear. First, when I say sink in the botton I mean you will drown, you just simply die so there's no need to make some "underwater" map. Second, if you ever have an experience you will know that climbing on the boat without any help is much more difficult than climbing through the fence. So I think even if zombies can float near your boat, they can never climb up and bite you.

As for the floating base, don't forget about water. You can only collet tainted water from the lake and you can't start a campfire on the boat! Just this along will force you to leave your boat quiet frequently. And there's a chance that a boat will leak and sink, killing you on the bed.