Let's Talk About Tainted Water...

BayCon

I agree with you about the rain water, if it was 5 years after the Infection spread I can understand how the rain water can be somewhat contaminated. What I found annoying and quite hillarious is when it rains it waters your garden well but when I try using the same rain water from the barrel to water the garden it says it's tainted and cannot use... lol I hope they fix this.

I agree with you about the rain water, if it was 5 years after the Infection spread I can understand how the rain water can be somewhat contaminated. What I found annoying and quite hillarious is when it rains it waters your garden well but when I try using the same rain water from the barrel to water the garden it says it's tainted and cannot use... lol I hope they fix this.

That sounds like a bug. I remember seeing somewhere they said tainted water was fine for watering crops.

Toilet tanks wouldn't be my first pick tbh, if the toilets haven't been freshly flushed and the water stood there for a few hours, with all the nasty sidements inside those tanks, I'm pretty sure it would taste funny ;o It's a closed container, but that's a container people probably never bother to clean, I sure wouldn't.

Just to back up what I said :

I just had to quick-fix my toilet flush button and had to put my hands in the tank to do so, when I was finished I had some black and dark green-ish sediments on my hands. I wouldn't drink water who stayed in there for too long.

Rainwater isn't considered potable in reality, for a number of reasons . . . http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/rainwater-collection.html

I'm sorry, this is a little off-topic, but following that link says "rainwater [may be] considered property of the state..." A-wju-vudsa-how?????

Okay, on topic: I haven't played PZ in a while, so it's pretty much like I'm starting fresh-- it will be interesting to see how this "tainted water" mechanic affects an (essentially) first-timer's playthrough. I don't expect it to be a MASSIVE problem, as it's fairly guaranteed I won't last the first week, but whatever.

I think everyone is making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be........simply collect pots, and whenever your fixing to cook some food, toss 4 or 5 pots full of water on the fire.

The only annoying part is filling water bottles with pots afterwards. If they make this QoL change to quickly fill all water bottles, then its honestly a moot issue.

Rainwater isn't considered potable in reality, for a number of reasons . . . http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/rainwater-collection.html

i cant belive what i just read ...

"Some statesicon_out.png consider rainwater the property of the state and prohibit its collection"

what the actual fsck...

Yea, some places actually depend on underground water to strive and if people collect it then there isn't enough. I didn't believe it at first but i guess alot of places are like this.

Toilet tanks wouldn't be my first pick tbh, if the toilets haven't been freshly flushed and the water stood there for a few hours, with all the nasty sidements inside those tanks, I'm pretty sure it would taste funny ;o It's a closed container, but that's a container people probably never bother to clean, I sure wouldn't.

I just had to quick-fix my toilet flush button and had to put my hands in the tank to do so, when I was finished I had some black and dark green-ish sediments on my hands. I wouldn't drink water who stayed in there for too long.

I just lifted the lids on the backs of the two toilets in my house, and while there is a little sediment at the bottom of the tank, the water is clear and the tank is clean.  As far as I know, there should not be black or green sediment inside your tank.  I think your experience might be outside the norm.  I would not drink water out of the bowl, but if I had to the water in the tank could be boiled and then I would drink it.

I just lifted the lids on the backs of the two toilets in my house, and while there is a little sediment at the bottom of the tank, the water is clear and the tank is clean.  As far as I know, there should not be black or green sediment inside your tank.  I think your experience might be outside the norm.  I would not drink water out of the bowl, but if I had to the water in the tank could be boiled and then I would drink it.

Yeah the water is probably clean because it's been flushed recently, but some water that stayedd there for a few days must be nasty. The water in the tank was clear as well, just don't rub the sides :D

I don't think rain water should be tainted is my only thing.

It's stored in the open air, who knows what bugs & contaminants it's picked up along the way, let alone being a mosquito breeding ground during the summer :)

A true rain collector, sealed and limited so only water can get in, sure, but that still doesn't mean nasty things aren't growing inside. And, you don't have the materials for more than a waterbarrel, so all of the PZ rain collectors are are glorified water barrels. I mean, the tech1 ones are basically garbage bags in a box ;)

I like having to boil water.  It's another obstacle to think about for the future along with farming, and stockpiling can goods.

It gives a better use to stockpiling water before the water runs out...  Which is something that was needed for awhile.  If you were able to get a rain barrel up before the water ran out, you'd be fine before.  Now getting every little bit of fresh clean water before the stopping point is just that much more important.

I wouldn't believe everything the government says.

The fill the water with a deadly chemical known as flouride too but they claim that isn't bad.

wxtirKR.pngModerator Warning

This is not the place for conspiracy theories.

Flouride in selective water supplies has done a shit-tonn of good, and there's very little evidence of a large downside.

If you wish to discuss that, or other sensitive topics, at best the other discussions -> general discussion section of the forums would be the only place, but don't be surprised if you're not given a warm response ;)

Also, yeah how come we cant use Bleach to purify water? If you just add a couple of drops of it to a few liters and then let it sit for a few hours its pretty much clean to drink (kills everything - might still want to filter it through a shirt or something to get rid of any litter)