Screws are Alternative to Nails

Panicsferd

Lately on both singleplayer/multiplayer when looting the hardware store I noticed that it seems they have more boxes of screws verses the boxes of nails and I am thinking (if this isn't already going to be implemented in the future) is to have it where you can use nails or screws for your various carpentry needs and in order to screw stuff you will need a screwdriver (which already is in game).

I think if you would make stuff using screws it should maybe last longer or be harder to take down verses say nails and for other people to break the barricades down they would need a screwdriver themselves. I think if this is added it will help you use those boxes of screws and it will make it a bit more realistic where you could use screws yourself if you had them instead of nails to screw boards and make stuff.

I can see how it might making it stronger, but having to undo the screws to get through? I think that should be an option for saving the materials, but they should be able to be busted down still in my opinion.

Yeah they should be able to be busted down, I do like your idea how if you unscrew them (providing you don't strip them, maybe have it be like a chance - have that chance determined by your carpentry level) you will be able to save the screws to use for another time or a future project.

edit: I think what could happen to is if you are using screws it should be a bit slower then using nails since with nails you just have to hammer it several times before it goes in where with screwing (and we don't have any electric screwdrivers) it does take quite a bit of time to do it.

I think nails are for carpentry and screws are going to be for mechanical things in build 32 IDK just an idea

Carpentry also uses screws.

Here in Brazil we use them more often than nails because they allow for a more robust build in carpentry

Same here in Antarctica.  We can't use nails for our bunker because the weight would crush them into tiny bits.   In other news my pet penguin wants a fish.

What if screws were like nails with a few differences.

1) they would take longer to barricade and unbarricade.

2) They could be used in mechanical things.

3) Barricades with screws return the screws 75% of the time

4) They require screwdrivers (Duh)

5) They are used to make furniture that can be disassembled without being destroyed

Just an idea

I can see how it might making it stronger, but having to undo the screws to get through? I think that should be an option for saving the materials, but they should be able to be busted down still in my opinion.

Yeah they should be able to be busted down, I do like your idea how if you unscrew them (providing you don't strip them, maybe have it be like a chance - have that chance determined by your carpentry level) you will be able to save the screws to use for another time or a future project.

edit: I think what could happen to is if you are using screws it should be a bit slower then using nails since with nails you just have to hammer it several times before it goes in where with screwing (and we don't have any electric screwdrivers) it does take quite a bit of time to do it.

It would also be nice to be able to find those mechanical screwdrivers that can screw and unscrew things more quickly but do not require a battery. Basically they have a shaft with indents and a spring and you push it straight into the screw and then pull it out and do it again. My dad has one and it works pretty well for a non-electric. Power tools are still faster though.

That could be helpful and maybe what they can do is implement power tools at the various hardware shops, they may have no power left, but maybe you can replace their batteries like a flashlight. If they would then add power tools I think what they should do is maybe make it the same speed as hammering so it is not too overpowered.

5) They are used to make furniture that can be disassembled without being destroyed

Just an idea

Realistically that return rate should probably be more like 90%, if not more. As long as you dont break it and beat on it.

Just an idea

Realistically that return rate should probably be more like 90%, if not more. As long as you dont break it and beat on it.

Realistically it should be, but I think having it at 75% would be better for balancing purposes so that the screws are not viewed as too overpowered over the nails and etc.

Just an idea

Realistically it should be, but I think having it at 75% would be better for balancing purposes so that the screws are not viewed as too overpowered over the nails and etc.

Id worry more about balancing and "OP" stuff after the hurdle if it gets implemented or not. I think too many people worry about "nerfing" things to "balance it" in fear if they dont that it wont get implemented. I dunno, like I said Im the kind to suggest ideas get implemented first before worrying about sacrificing realism for balance sakes. If something is unbalanced it could easily be balanced later.

Give it the chance to "be" first before taking a swing at it with the nerfbat. It isnt even out of beta yet so~

Just an idea

Id worry more about balancing and "OP" stuff after the hurdle if it gets implemented or not. I think too many people worry about "nerfing" things to "balance it" in fear if they dont that it wont get implemented. I dunno, like I said Im the kind to suggest ideas get implemented first before worrying about sacrificing realism for balance sakes. If something is unbalanced it could easily be balanced later.

Give it the chance to "be" first before taking a swing at it with the nerfbat. It isnt even out of beta yet so~

I understand that, and I guess even without nerfing the return amount you get there is still a trade-off with using screws versus nails is that anything you create with screws will be a tad slower.

[auto-promo]

Dowels are Alternative to Nails ! :3

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1091-handmade-wooden-dowels-realistic-nails-alternative/

[/auto-promo]

More seriously, I think screwing a baricade should be faster than with nails if you use a electric screwdriver but painfully long / impossible otherwise.

I mean, have you ever tryed to pierce a wooden plank with a screw using a common screwdriver ? Now try to picture you trying to pierce the plank and the wall behind to baricade a window with the PZ screwdriver...

As a counter part, using an electric screwdriver should make a lot of noise and use battery.

But I'm only talking about baricading here, I think screws are more apropriate in furnitures crafts like bookshelves, etc. ;-)

Doesnt hammering also cause noise? Im pretty sure the amount of noise with an electric screw driver is actually less than banging on it with a hammer. But, yea it could cause the same amount of noise to be fair.

indeed.gif

• 8 years later...
  • MadDan locked this topic