Rules and Info

nasKo

Welcome to this pretty young section! This forum serves as a place to organize translations for PZ.

Some basic guidelines:

-Only one thread per language

-The original post of the thread will ideally be kept up to date with the contributors and the overall status.

-Ideally, the thread will be created by someone dedicated enough to keep himself on the "job", because this can turn out to be fairly time intensive. If you want to take over a thread, please give a moderator a message. You can then post a new thread and we will link to it in the old one that died.

Files that need translation can be found here:
As of now, check out this thread on how to do your thingy:
http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1255-help-us-the-official-pz-translation/

Project Zomboid is a passion project for both its developers and its community who often work hand in hand – examples of this include internal build testing, translation and advice from platform experts. This is done in return for our gratitude, a game credit and a shared sense of Zomboid loveliness.

Any other form of remuneration for contributions from outside of the The Indie Stone will always be officially agreed in writing – away from the forum - before the work takes place. Sorry to spell it out in black and white, but I’m sure you understand we have to cover our arses on this one.

For feedback and/or suggestions, feel free to PM me or a moderator. Or Post here. Or scream from the top of your lungs.

Updated OP with an important part. It's obvious but we gotta put it here to be safe :)

Good :).

So if I was willing to take ownership of French translation, I could start a thread now? Or should I wait for further instructions :)?

Go ahead!

If you got the source files from RJ already? If not, give the linked thread a lookie for instructions :)

Project Zomboid is a passion project for both its developers and its community who often work hand in hand – examples of this include internal build testing, translation and advice from platform experts. This is done in return for our gratitude, a game credit and a shared sense of Zomboid loveliness.

Any other form of remuneration for contributions from outside of the The Indie Stone will always be officially agreed in writing – away from the forum - before the work takes place. Sorry to spell it out in black and white, but I’m sure you understand we have to cover our arses on this one.

lol can anyone translate that in 5-year-old-kid english for me please ?

Or scream from the top of your lungs

Zombies do not scream, they moan (god knwos how btw as they don't breath) :)

My 2 cents suggestion :

On the one hand it's good to have the translations worked out by the community here on the forums ; on the other hand i hope TIS won't have to hire one person just to copy/paste the translations.

A good compromise may be to have the transl. thread owners create and upload the files (with consistent files naming and hierarchy) somewhere on a server (a repository ?), and the devs (or a forumite) write a script to fetch them all at once.

Work on translation for your own fun and appreciation for the game and the community, don't expect to get compensated for it.

Work on translation for your own fun and appreciation for the game and the community, don't expect to get compensated for it.

Fuck me, how am i gonna pay my ferrari loan back ?

On a -maybe- more useful note, i've written a basic shell script (for Linux) that checks the translation differences between game releases (based on english translation files), and tries to take account of steam auto-updates.

It outputs a file that tells (relatively intelligibly imo) :

- which lines of which files have been changed (edited, removed, added)

- which files have been added / removed

- it also saves the media/lua/Translate/EN directory (what for, still dunno...)

For anyone who cares it uses the 'diff' command.

Feel free to use / tweak / comment it. :)

Here is the script :

#!/bin/bash################################################################### how to use################################################################### 1. give the porper value to variables in "variables to customize" and# make sure the directories you're referencing actually exist# 2. in a terminal run : sh diff_script.sh# for exmaple if you named the script diff_script.sh# 3. first run will create the 'previous version' that will be used to compare # with the next version# 4. on next runs a diff_<date>.txt file is generated. Check it out to see what's to be done and/or post its content anywhere.# 5. OPTIONS :#	-cl : remove (cleanup) all translation backups and diff files (content #		of cvs_dir/backups & cvs_dir/diffs dir). Still keeps the 'previous version'#	-ns : do not save (backup) the current 'previous version' in cvs_dir/backups directory.#		So default behaviour is to backup the previous versions that steam removed.# IMPORTANT : use only one option at a time (using both makes no sens anyway), and always add# it at the end of the command eg : sh diff.sh -cp AND NOT sh -cp diff.sh################################################################### variables to customize################################################################### the path to pz root directory (that has folders media/, com/). Default for steam install is ~= to below :game_dir="/path/to/user/home/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid";# the path where you want the diff & backup files to be createdcvs_dir="/custom/path";################################################################### CODE (edit at your own risk and blahblahblah)##################################################################lang="EN";diff_file_ext=".txt";game_transl_dir="$game_dir/media/lua/Translate/$lang";diffs_dir="$cvs_dir/diffs";backups_dir="$cvs_dir/backups";temp_previous_version_dir="$cvs_dir/$lang";previous_version_dir="$cvs_dir/previous_version";if ! [ -d $backups_dir ]then  #echo "create back up directory $backups_dir";  mkdir $backups_dir;fiif ! [ -d $diffs_dir ]then  #echo "create diff files directory $diffs_dir";  mkdir $diffs_dir;fiif [ "$1" != "-cl" ]then  if [ -d $previous_version_dir ]   then        diff_date=$(date +%Y_%m_%d_%H.%M.%S);        if [ "$1" != "-ns" ]     then      #echo "back up previous version in $backups_dir/$diff_date";      cp -r $previous_version_dir $backups_dir;      mv "$backups_dir/previous_version" "$backups_dir/$diff_date";    fi        echo "created diff file $diffs_dir/$diff_date$diff_file_ext";    diff -r $game_transl_dir $previous_version_dir >> "$diffs_dir/$diff_date$diff_file_ext";        #echo "removed previous version $previous_version_dir directory";    rm -r $previous_version_dir;      fi    #echo "created 'new' previous version $previous_version_dir directory"  cp -r $game_transl_dir $cvs_dir;  mv $temp_previous_version_dir $previous_version_dir;  else  #echo "clean up"  if [ -d $backups_dir ]  then    rm -r $backups_dir;  fi    if [ -d $diffs_dir ]  then    rm -r $diffs_dir;  fi  fi

And here is an example of output (text after '#' is comments i added) :

diffs/2013_09_08_09.44.56.txt 
# files that have been compared and result
diff -r ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid/media/lua/Translate/EN/ContextMenu_EN.txt ~/Desktop/pz_transl/previous_version/ContextMenu_EN.txt

# 'ContextMenu_Wear' replaced with 'ContextMenu_Wear_New_Key' on line 42 in ContextMenu_EN.txt
42c42
<       ContextMenu_Wear = "Wear", # ContextMenu_Wear = "Wear", not here anymore ('<')
---
>       ContextMenu_Wear_New_Key = "Wear", # ContextMenu_Wear_New_Key = "Wear" added ('>')

# line that was removed ('<') in ContextMenu_EN.txt
77d76
<       ContextMenu_Table_with_Drawer = "Table with Drawer",

# file Farming_EN.txt was added in newer version (only in game transl directory)
Only in ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid/media/lua/Translate/EN: Farming_EN.txt

# file Foo_EN.txt was removed in newer version (only in versioning directory)
Only in ~/Desktop/pz_transl/previous_version: Foo_EN.txt

diff -r ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid/media/lua/Translate/EN/Tooltip_EN.txt ~/Desktop/pz_transl/previous_version/Tooltip_EN.txt
11d10
<       Tooltip_food_Endurance = "Endurance",
24c23
<       Tooltip_literature_Boredom_Reduction = "Boredom Reduction",
---
>       Tooltip_literature_Boredom_Reduction_New_Key = "Boredom Reduction",

Then it would just need someone to post the content of the diff file somewhere around here when a new version pops out... that is in a not too distant future, right ?

EDIT a few weeks later : "and tries to take account of steam auto-updates", don't have a clue what it was supposed to mean :???: