Ladders, Machetes, Fire Extinguishers and more!

Blake81

My two cents to the post

- Ladders: Cool stuff to have as a tool to build a home. is really annoying to have to build stairs (and the carpentry skill to do that is also a handicap) if you want to build a ceiling.

But it doesn't look very handy to carry here and there. To get inside places via the second floor i thought: Craft a sheet rope or regular rope and a plank (or log, or stone, or whatever), throw it through a window and the plank fastens so you can climb.

- Machete: I agree with those who say that's not a very common item to find (maybe in rare loot at gunshops, as rare as the sledge).

But speaking of weapons in rural areas, i live in rural and got a huge garden. We have already the spade but think on how lethal can be the other garden tools:

RAKE. - Imagine to poke two zed heads in a row ^^

PICK. - Oh, yes!

FORK. - The bad cousin of the spade.

PRUNING SHEARS. - ... and how cute would be an animation of a cut zombie head flying off the shoulders :)

and...

THE CHAINSAW, MAN!!!! - Most of houses of my town (which slightly looks alike knox) have one. Small ones to cut branches, longer ones to cut trees. Lethal and gory, and a long term weapon if you have gas cans, spare chains and screwdriver to repair. The cons are obvious: heavy as a sledgehammer and noisy as a riffle, then ideal to cut and run and cut again on hordes. Also faster than the axe for cutting down trees, but again a lot noisier.

We are ready for the apocalypse in rural areas, man.

- Fire extinguisher: Not only working fire extinguishers. We may be able to extinguish a fire with buckets of water (now they are just intended to make plaster) or cooking pots or whatever. It's pretty unreal to control the fire with the no-spread mod, and also is unreal a fire which spreads forever because water doesn't affect it.

And speaking of fire... we have fire axes but not fire stations?! Think on a fire station: Axes, ropes, sledges to loot, chainsaws... also a good place to set a base, and with fireman's poles (the way to use would be the same than a rope, but only to go down, obviously), dinner and room.

Man, we would like to see so many things...

I live in the UK and we don't really have machetes, but most farms have hand scythes and/or billhooks. Both of these would be cool as the are similar to machetes. Do you get these tools in the USA? You can also get scythes and billhooks on poles to be used with two hands!

I live in the UK and we don't really have machetes, but most farms have hand scythes and/or billhooks. Both of these would be cool as the are similar to machetes. Do you get these tools in the USA? You can also get scythes and billhooks on poles to be used with two hands!

If anything, I'd absolutely love a small hand scythe that'd let me mow the grass in bulk instead of having to click each patch separately.

But I would like to see more blade weaponry that can match the baseball bat's drop frequency and efficiency.

Honestly, I have used far more machetes than I have scythes.  As someone who has lived in suburban and rural parts of america, let me just say this; machetes are very common parts of tool sheds.  When we bought a new piece of property, and had to clear away a lot of the shubs and such laying around, yeah, all we used was machetes and weed eaters.  The prior one was the more effective, truth be told.  And when we had to cut any piece of shrubbery we didn't really care about, you either used your pocket knife, or a machete.  If you did care about it...manual hedge trimmers.  (and honestly, I don't think hedge trimmers would be very good weapons.  Bone is far tougher than wood, and most normal sized hedge trimmers have difficulty with anything much more than 1" in diamater, unless it's very sharp, and the user is very, very strong.)

As far as carrying ladders around, I'm good.  Maybe include ladders as an additional carpentry project, permenant ladders to attach to the sides of buildings, to be used in leau of stairs, but otherwise, I'm not so sure.

I figure they'll be tons of ammo laying around because look at your survivor-to-zombie ratio in any game/movie/tv show.  Lots and lots of zombies, not a lot of survivors.  If someone dies while shooting and a zombie, there's a pretty good chance that zombie won't still be carrying that gun.  There still could ammo in that gun if they  didn't empty the mag.  Not to mention if a police or military checkout was overrun, there'd be supplies there.  It all goes back to the outbreak scenario.  Was this a slow infection or a world war Z super-rapid infection?  I suppose different scenarios get different outcomes.  Since there are sprinters, a scenario with those type of zombies would potentially have lots and lots of ammo, and very few survivors.