Help/Interest Check, Opening Broken Windows?

unmog

Hey everyone, I've never modded anything in PZ before but I'm not against trying, I'm actually really interested in getting my hands dirty. So first let me say if someone is already working on a mod or one is already out that I couldn't find it, and I checked the mods forum, wip forum and help forum. However I figure the powers that be out there and with how simple a mod Im planning to do, it might be much easier to just ask someone else for some help with it until the PZ devs do something themselves in the official game.

So... as you know you can right click a window and choose "break window" and most likely fuck up yourself as you apparently dive head first through the window. Last time I tried that I had my bat equipped and STILL I got cuts on both arms and I was like "Why would I need to use both arms...?" o.O; Anyway, you could do that, or you could swing a bat or something at the window and break it easy peazy too. Then again, you could always just wait for a zombie to break it for you, they really like breaking windows too after all.

So now we're standing outside a broken window and we're thinking to ourselves "Well I can just climb through it but I might cut myself." So, thats an option... albeit as smart an option as breaking the window with both arms instead of using the bat you had equipped. And then you might be thinking "Well maybe I'll clear the glass away." Theres a problem with that too though, 1= as devs have pointed out you'll need to make a bunch of sprites and stuff for a cleaned broken window, for each window, for each direction it faces. 2= Could still probably cut yourself in the process of doing it 3= would probably create even more noise and take a lot of time.

Or... you know... you could just safely and quickly reach in through the broken window and unlock it, then open it. That's what I'm proposing, and thats what I'd like to ask help with making a mod to do. Id like to be able to open a broken window, to treat all broken windows as "unlocked" so we can right click them and get the default open window option from the drop down menu. We dont even need new sprites or anything we can just use the default open window sprites. So... how hard would it be do to that?

Any helpful advice would be lovely. :D Or, if you think you could hammer something out like that yourself super easy feel free to! Just would be nice if you said I gave you the idea and sent me the link to your mod so I can download and use it. ;) Ya know, at this point I don't even care if someone wanted to give me any credit for the idea, I just think this is a mod that should happen so Id be happy however it happened. >.>

Dude to avoid being cut by the glass on the window , instead of Right-Clicking on the window and selecting "break" , you could just Attack the window (So it will break) like attacking zombies.

So , it will break the window and you will not cut yourself (You need to have A Weapon equiped)

To safely Climb The Window without being cut by glass shards , after you break the window , Right click on the Window and Select "Remove Glass". If there is no option like the remove glass , then its safe to climb.

(Sorry for the bad english , i'm from brazil :/)

Hah, yea I know about the problem with right clicking and selecting "break". I sorta made a joke about it in the post mentioning that you had to attack it instead.

Anyway... I dunno if you're on a different version than me but Im on the latest one from steam and you cant right click to remove glass. At least I cant. *breaks a perfectly fine window and takes a pic*

4c4f597025.jpg

And yea, I can still get cut climbing through it. So, its not safe.

Sorry , i've did some kind of Noob thingie here :P

I think you have to get some sort of item to remove the glass.

I just dont remember what item was :/ ...

Because i remember That there was a option when right clicking on the window saying "Remove Glass".

Thanks Geras!

And Vinny... hmm, well id think if you had some ripped sheets you could wrap your hand in it and clear the window perhaps. Or if you had a hammer or something blunt you could continue breaking away all the shards. Or if you had some pliers you could pull the glass out maybe. Granted I havent tried opening a window with every single item in the game equipped but I don't think its a normal option in the game Vinny. Maybe you have a mod? Or if you can do it and find out which item you need I'd be appreciative.

However when I check it on the wiki it says this. http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Window

Windows can be instantly "smashed" by a survivor for a quick escape but smashing the window has a chance cutting that character, Cracking a window using your bare hands guarantees bleeding. Furthermore, windows can be jumped out of from higher stories but will usually lead to severe injuries even if the survivor jumped out from only the second floor. Zombies can also leap out of windows from higher floors, but the injuries they get are lesser than the injuries a survivor may get.