Realistic Sledgehammer: No More ''Magic Demolition''

Blake81

Just found my first Sledgehammer and I said ''Cool! Now I can take down those doors I wanna break for hinges and planks. Maybe even get myself some more planks from some wooden houses I saw.'', but, when I destroyed my first door IT LEFT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BEHIND. Then tried with house's wall, same result. With a wooden wall I built? Same result....

It's as if more than a sledgehammer, it was a sort of ''Delete'' button that magically disintegrates everything it touches. Why is that? Why can a humble hammer or ax demolish a door more realistically than a sledge? Why do demolished walls don't leave a single bit of rubble? This turns the rare and sought-after sledgehammer in little more than just a big eraser you can use to remove stuff (something which, by itself, is pretty unrealistic. See my other thread for ideas about these furniture issues.)

When destroyed by a sledge, doors should behave just like when this is done by a hammer or axe, same for anything player-built.

Normal house parts should leave behind different stuff depending on their material; wooden fences and walls should leave planks, roofs should leave roof tiles (which should be used for building a roof instead of just Wooden Floor-ing everything), metallic walls should leave scrap metal or metal plates, etc.

I'm really surprised this hasn't been implemented yet.

I have done plenty of real life demolition with a sledgehammer and I can tell you that you will rarely have any usable boards, sheets, or hardware left if you are just using the sledghammer. It will actually twist and smash apart hindges and door knobs.

But... having a Sledgehammer, Saw and Screwdriver in your inventory should do the trick,,, but it doesn't in the game.

I have never tried it but I read that the sledgehammer will also demolish a chain link fence in game. Never gonna happen in real world scenerio. Bolt cutters in game would be a useful object.

Having a saw and screwdriver should give you the dismantle option in game. You won't get anything back from things you haven't created though, as far as I know.

You can get the planks, hinges, and doorknobs from destroying a door in the regular manner: hitting it.

I was thinking about this a few days ago. Having the proper tools to carefully dismantle a door ought to yield more usable materials than smashing it off its hinges.

I actually had to get a locked door open with a hammer when my old work closed down, and let me tell you, there wasn't much left of use when I was finished.

In order to use a screwdriver to take a door off its hinges, however, the player ought to have to be on the correct side of said door. You can't unscrew hinges THROUGH the door, after all.

• 3 months later...

Just found my first Sledgehammer and I said ''Cool! Now I can take down those doors I wanna break for hinges and planks. Maybe even get myself some more planks from some wooden houses I saw.'', but, when I destroyed my first door IT LEFT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BEHIND. Then tried with house's wall, same result. With a wooden wall I built? Same result....

It's as if more than a sledgehammer, it was a sort of ''Delete'' button that magically disintegrates everything it touches. Why is that? Why can a humble hammer or ax demolish a door more realistically than a sledge? Why do demolished walls don't leave a single bit of rubble? This turns the rare and sought-after sledgehammer in little more than just a big eraser you can use to remove stuff (something which, by itself, is pretty unrealistic. See my other thread for ideas about these furniture issues.)

When destroyed by a sledge, doors should behave just like when this is done by a hammer or axe, same for anything player-built.

Normal house parts should leave behind different stuff depending on their material; wooden fences and walls should leave planks, roofs should leave roof tiles (which should be used for building a roof instead of just Wooden Floor-ing everything), metallic walls should leave scrap metal or metal plates, etc.

I'm really surprised this hasn't been implemented yet.

There is a chance that you won't get what the door, wall, furniture, etc. drops. Just as there is a chance that a zombie corpse won't have the generic items of clothing and no other items. Maybe your loot rarity, which can be edited in sandbox mode, could affect you picking up items from objects you break with an axe or sledgehammer.