Change panic suggestion

hrot

Panic is now something that doesn't do much. It has practically no effect on a character. Players don't care that characters are panicked etc.

I suggest implement "fear" moodle/system to fix that.

It could be something like this:

Character is very panicked (max lvl of "panic" moodle) for long time because for example: horde of zombies are chasing him and then player would lose control over his character for some time and character would run away mindlessly from horde. It is realistic and it would force players to maintain panic level ( like we maintain other things like hunger, health etc.) or bad things gonna happen because character could run away in wrong direction.

I know that many people don't like idea of losing control over their characters and i don't like it too but in this case it would be good thing. Now "average joe" has nerves of steel and he don't care if he fight with a spoon with 100 zombies for 5h in his first day in apocalypse.

Normal people could be just in such strong shock that it would cause things like runnig away without thinking.

Also resistance to be panicked/feared should be gained over time. After 3-6months character would be familiar with fighting zombies so he wouldn't panic so quickly.

Also there was a topic with many great suggestions to panic system a year ago:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6663-positive-and-negative-effects-of-panic/

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of losing control of your character (which I personally think is a terrible idea which would lead to many cheap deaths)

Why not make it so the character will freeze up, when it comes to attacking...so your accuracy decreases like normally but at ultimate panic levels reserved for hordes of 100 or more attacking you.

You can not reload your gun let alone fire em or swing your weapon at em because you character is too shaky to concentrate meaning your only option is to run away.

But you can make it so your character doesn't panic by throwing them in to situations like this so eventually they get used to it!

or give them some dutch courage by necking a bottle of whiskey before you set out.

The inability to do certain actions would make sense. But then players who pick traits that make them scream all the time will now be unable to play. The bonuses for picking agoraphobia should be +50 Trait points then. Cause you can't do anything outside anymore.

Can't fight hordes, can't shoot, can't swing, can't eat. ETC

Instead of losing control of your character (which I personally think is a terrible idea which would lead to many cheap deaths)

Losing control over your character is the best way to fully utilize the panic feature and it doesn't need to last long. All it take is a few sec depending on your panic level. If you stay at the same spot where you're most panic, the duration will extend and the system will incoperate your idea of completely freezing the character.

Both side win with your suggestions :D

IMO if panic were buffed to make players immobile in anyway then you'd be dead.

No way to survive 30 zombies eating your brains after they catch you cause you froze up while a herd was behind you.

Mind as well make it a heart attack and have your character fall over dead then and there.

Lots of melee is based on perfect timing of hits. Panic would be more realistic if some people froze while really panic'ed, but the loss of control is too far IMO. Delayed control would be a better simulation, though I wouldn't support that either.

It would be cool if you started screaming when panicked.

One of the main things I believe panic should do is tire you out. When you panic you use up loads of energy and go in to fight, flight or freeze mode.

(Xcom had a good mechanic that covered these 3 things)

Fight = fire randomly

Flight = run away

Freeze = stand still

These affects only need to last 2 to 3 seconds under extreme panic. But when they did happen you would also panic:p

I understand that losing control would really annoy lots of people because they could not be Rambo anymore. But it would make you fear the horde.

If this was in the game I feel like you would need to become desensitized overtime until you were Rambo!

If desensitization was something that could happen over time I'd support a panic buff.

The Xcom panic system would be interesting to see, higher energy consumption would make sense.

Shotguns don't need accuracy, when paniced my rifles and pistols will kill 1 zombie in 10-15 shots with 2-3 AIming. 1 Shotgun shell will do the same job.

So panic affects all guns but shotguns more or less.

Well i just read new mondoid and i'm quite happy with those changes. Finally panic would be something that players must take in consideration when running around a horde of zombies and shooting them.

Panic makes it extremely hard to head-shot zombies and the higher the level the panic the harder is it to take them down. This is the case with all weapons...  At level 10 aiming with extreme panic, it takes a few rounds to take down just one zombie. Without any panic each shot is ~95% guaranteed headshot.

I feel panicking should work differently. It should be based off of the distance, the amount, and the area around it. If you see a zombie far off you most likely wont be to spooked unless your a coward. If you see a horde far out you may feel slight panic. If you turn a corner and see one right nearby then you should get scared. Same if you open a door and see a small horde in the bedroom. This makes it a bit harder to get panicked but no average Joe gets scared of a zombie that is far away.