Reading, light and realism

hrot

Typical situation in game now: it's 10pm, too dark to go outside, probably too early to sleep. Player doesn't have anything to do so he/she read some skill book to gain exp boost / kill time but wait there is one problem with reading, there is no light source (in most cases, after power is off).

So i suggest that if player want to read he need a light source near character or he simply can't read books/magazines etc.

This of course will require placeable candles/flashlights and maybe some recipe with flashlight so it will work as lamp.

I think it is simple, realistic idea which will make game harder and better.

I can imagine a lot of people wouldn't want this, but I do really like the idea. A toggle-able option would probably be the best thing.

Of course there's a lot of specifics when it comes to this, like would moonlight be enough if you're outdoors at night? Though I do think a candle or flashlight would be the best option. Perhaps the book in your primary slot and the flashlight/candle in the other.

Really cool idea!

@hrot

I have yet to build one, but if I'm not mistake a pole, rope, nails, and a flashlight will allow you to craft a light pole. You'll have to keep an eye on the battery life, and swap the batteries out when they die, but the feature is already there.

As for needing light to read? Love it. Reading a full length book in a pitch black bathroom breaks immersion for me a bit.

Well i know you can build a light pole but it looks kinda stupid inside of building :P

Ah, gotcha. It would make sense to be able to just put the flashlight somewhere in the room. Have you tried turning a flashlight on and dropping it? Does it stay on and continue to provide light? I'm away from my pc or I would go check.

It'd be nice, maybe down the road, to have a "Place on Table" option for flashlights on any waist-high coffee table, end table, or kitchen counter. It's the little things that make it feel realistic.

I just checked this and sadly it's not possible. Character can't throw flashlight when using it. There should be option to just turn on flashlight and then place it somewhere or even throw it on ground (now flashlight only give light when character is using it).

Offtopic: game really lacks placeable little things, like placing soup pot on table etc.

Like the idea :)

Alternatively, could impair reading assuming there is some sort of lighting (like WolfeClaw moonlight).  Even candle might have some sort of slowing factor compaired to optimum light.

On the subject of impaired reading, i don't know if it works already, but certain status (utterly shit faced, sleepy, ...) could also impair reading.  You gave me the idea for a post on that subject.

• 4 months later...

I really think this is a good idea. Especially if/when reading is made more important in order to prevent depression instead of just being a quick consumable. 

Right now I see a candle or a torch and think "meh". Lights aren't required right now. Not just for reading, but for anything. Which is kind of weird really. If I was in a zombie apocalypse survival situation where the power is going out, finding a candle should be a big deal. 

But requiring light of a certain level to read needs to be combined with...

1. Nights of varying darkness (depending on moon phase, cloud cover).

2. Zombies actually being strongly drawn towards light. Maybe they do now? But I haven't really noticed it. If not as strong as how much they are drawn to sound it should still draw their attention. This makes covering up windows at night much more of a big deal.

3. Rooms with no light source (and that includes windows being covered up etc) should be so dark at night that you basically can't see -anything-. No light source? No sight. Sorry. 

If all of the above was put in that would really help knock the difficulty up a notch in a good way.

Makeshift torches anyone?  :idea: 

Used a flashlight once, never did it again. Weight-Values of it and the batteries especially are absurd. Also don't know how long a battery will last. I'm just ignoring these items, as they do not even spend much light (at least in your hands, never tested the lamp on a stick thingy).