Gunshots kill eardrums

lampdude45

Anyone who owns firearms in real life knows that trying to shoot anything of a higher caliber than a puny little .22 will hurt your ears without some sort of hearing protection. But in PZ, we have high caliber rifles, shotguns, and pistols and no effect on the characters hearing. 

I suggest the devs add in a hearing damage / penalty when using firearms for more than a few shots. It would greatly balance firearms, and make using them as a primary weapon without getting a hold of some sort of hearing protection (ear plugs, noise cancelling headphones).

What do you all think?

Anyone who owns firearms in real life knows that trying to shoot anything of a higher caliber than a puny little .22 will hurt your ears without some sort of hearing protection. But in PZ, we have high caliber rifles, shotguns, and pistols and no effect on the characters hearing. 

I suggest the devs add in a hearing damage / penalty when using firearms for more than a few shots. It would greatly balance firearms, and make using them as a primary weapon without getting a hold of some sort of hearing protection (ear plugs, noise cancelling headphones).

What do you all think?

Seems like a pretty cool idea, I had the same idea a couple of days ago when playing, except with mine I didn't think that you should have earmuffs or anything because that would only make it even MORE difficult to use a firearm defensively (having to search police stations for ear muffs), I merely thought that shooting in small spaces or indoors could cause your ears to hurt at several different stages, the final doing permanent damage to your character's hearing range and clarity.

This doesn't seem like it would be too bad though, because there are earbuds in the game that you can find on bodies. 

I'm a fan of this idea. I always thought it was a tad odd how you could fire such high calibres without any sort of ringing in your ears.

This reminds me of the ACE mod for ArmA 2 where you had to remember to equip your earplugs before firing for extended periods of time, otherwise you would be the subject of uncomfortable ringing in your ears. Something that ACE did that would be cool to implement would be that if you wear earplugs, all other in-game sounds are lowered such as footsteps, banging, even other players voices when VOIP is added, thus giving people a reason to take them out instead of wearing them all the time.

The most important factor to consider when it comes to hearing damage from firing a gun is whether or not you are indoors or in a similar environment. If you fire on an open field it wouldn't damage your ears, just hurt a bit. If you fire a large caliber indoors without ear protection you will most likely not be able to hear for a while and probably damaged your ears permanently.

I am a big supporter of realism in a game like PZ, but not if it lessens the fun-factor for a majority of players. I think that this is one of those things.

I hope that PZ implements a Hardcore or Realism mode that players can select. If that is the case, I think it would be great if they had this as an option...and since there is already a trait for Hard of Hearing, I do not think that this would be difficult to implement as a temporary condition when higher calibur weapons are fired by the player or very close to the player.

Yeah, anything permanent would be a bit of a pain to deal with, but I think I'd like it to be possible. If you see a zombie indoors and you don't have time to change weapon, there's the tension of having to equip the earplugs or remembering to just push them over.