Skill Book Time in MP is Excessive (25 RL Mins for 300 pages!)

CaptKaspar

It took me 25 real life minutes to read a 300 page skill book in game.

The only break my character took was to read 2 books during that time to keep my character from becoming bored. So maybe it took 24.5 minutes.

This is 25 real life minutes where I was effectively not 'playing' the game. However I had to keep an eye on my character to make sure nothing bad happened (zombies, players, hunger, boredom, etc).

I used this time for a bio break, read some emails, checked in on some of my iOS games, read some websites, studied the PZ map, and I let my dog out.

The only thing I did at all during that time that was in anyway related to PZ was studying the map (which isn't official to the game).

I know that there are players who like the idea of effectively not playing the game for 25 minutes, but this is a killer to game-play IMO. I know that I have been more vocal than others about my feelings towards unplayable time on these forums, but this is just excessive IMO. It is just bad 'Game-Play'.

I am aware that this system worked fine during SP (because you could speed up time) and that it was ported over for MP and it just doesn't mesh well since you can't speed up time (same problem as sleeping).

Using the Fast Reader trait seemed to be a negligible improvement and I no longer bother using that trait since it seems like wasted points. I will do a test to see how much more effective it is soon and post the results.

Maybe there could be a universal across the board buff for all players when reading skill books in MP?

If I have an hour or two to play the game with some friends, I don't want to spend a major portion of that time not playing.

Yes, I could just not bother to read skill books and play without them, but the most efficient thing to do is to read them if you are trying to level your skills. Spending 25 minutes not playing the game is the most efficient thing to do... that is not good for game-play.

Speeding up the time for reading books in mulitplayer could be a solution. This way SP can stay the way it is. Cause it is fine!

For MP people could spend a reduced amount of time with reading books. Maybe a setting option (fast vs. normal reading time) that can be applied to the server.

I have to admit I never played MP yet. ;)

I just did a test to measure the difference with 'Fast Reader' and realized that the trait is broken and bugged. I'll post a bug report about it.

The results were that with 'Fast Reader' I as able to read 220 pages in 19 minutes. That's 11.58 pages/minute (I did stop once to read a book for boredom and there were some bug issues that slowed the reading slightly, however I did my best to make the delays as short as possible).

11.58 pages/minute with 'Fast Reader'

12 pages/minute (300pgs/25min) without 'Fast Reader'

It is actually faster to read a skill book without 'Fast Reader'!! (there is some wiggle room for error in my experimenting process, but it won't be too significant)

Bug Issues: The green progress reading bar moves at a rate faster than the pages/read progress. Once the green progress bar finishes your character stops reading the skill book. You will not have completed reading all of the pages and you do not have the full multiplier applied. You need to again read the skill book. Since the green progress bar moves faster than the pages/read you are required to re-read the book multiple times to complete all the pages. You only have the full multiplier once you complete all of the pages.

Not a whole lot you can do, short of remove it (like sleep) or make it customizable in some way through sandbox options.

Having people instantly gaining the multiplier is obviously not conductive to good gameplay.

You could also just spread out your reading rather than go for it all at once.

Not a whole lot you can do, short of remove it (like sleep) or make it customizable in some way through sandbox options.

Having people instantly gaining the multiplier is obviously not conductive to good gameplay.

You could also just spread out your reading rather than go for it all at once.

I definitely agree that it should take some time to read the skill books and that a player shouldn't receive the multiplier instantly.

Speeding up the time for reading books in mulitplayer could be a solution. This way SP can stay the way it is. Cause it is fine!

For MP people could spend a reduced amount of time with reading books. Maybe a setting option (fast vs. normal reading time) that can be applied to the server.

I have to admit I never played MP yet. ;)

I like this idea a lot! Give people the option. If we like how it currently is, we can leave it alone. If we want the process faster, we can speed it up serverwide. Great solution if its possible!

Ultra Slow: 6pgs/minute (36.6 minutes to read Beginner X)

Slow: 9pgs/minute (24.4 minutes)

Normal: 12pgs/minute (18.3 minutes)

Fast: 18 pgs/minute (12.2 minutes)

Ultra: 36 pgs/minute (6.1 minutes)

I think it'd make sense to have the stats of a character decrease faster than usual when reading in order to compensate, as that would more closely match the way singleplayer does it.

Hopefully I phrased that right. I've been sat here for about 10 minutes trying to word this properly, heh.

I think it'd make sense to have the stats of a character decrease faster than usual when reading in order to compensate, as that would more closely match the way singleplayer does it.

Hopefully I phrased that right. I've been sat here for about 10 minutes trying to word this properly, heh.

What character stats would decrease while reading? Like hunger, thirst, boredom, fatigue? If so, why would having those decrease faster compensate to match SP?

Do you mean that in SP when you speed up time you get hungry, thirsty, bored, etc 'faster'?

So if the server skill book read time was increased, you would also like to see an increase of hunger, thirst, boredom, etc during that time? Because that is the effect of speeding up time in SP?

What character stats would decrease while reading? Like hunger, thirst, boredom, fatigue? If so, why would having those decrease faster compensate to match SP?

Do you mean that in SP when you speed up time you get hungry, thirsty, bored, etc 'faster'?

So if the server skill book read time was increased, you would also like to see an increase of hunger, thirst, boredom, etc during that time? Because that is the effect of speeding up time in SP?

Yeah, thanks for the better phrasing. Is there something wrong with my logic? I'm a bit out of it at the moment.  :P

Archived