Log walls - realism

hrot

Log walls are the strongest walls in the game but building them is very easy and not so realistic.

Now it look like this:

log_wall.jpg

In that picture i explained what should happen with such a wall.

So my suggestion is that you need to have a shovel and dig a ditch in order to build a log wall.

Like in this picture:

log_wall_2.jpg

I think it will be good change for realism and good for gameplay too.

Hmm well i think that shovel should be required and process of building a log wall should require 2 steps.

1 step - dig a ditch with shovel

2 step - place logs in ditch

It also should require more time than now.

Hmm well i think that shovel should be required and process of building a log wall should require 2 steps.

1 step - dig a ditch with shovel

2 step - place logs in ditch

It also should require more time than now.

Thats actually how its done in Cataclysm DDA, I like that system a lot.

I think he means that the wall are already done like you suggested but, for now I think, the showel isn't required.

At least I think he mean that..

Yes, otherwise these walls don't make sense.

If we are burying them how come I can place them on sidewalk and roads?

Simple: Because the game allows it.

It's the same reason, incidentally, why fire burns and spreads on concrete and water can't be walked on.

I think it isn't implemented for the same reasons as to why we can't have basements or dig underground at all, the reasons being the fact that right now the ground tile is recognized as the lowest surface in the game. Whilst it would probably be best to have this be a 2 step process (Dig the ditch then plant the log), showing a ditch in the ground just isn't possible unless an illusion of some sort is implemented, which it likely won't be.

All we could really have right now is to have it be a single step that requires the log wall and a shovel, which suggests the ditch being dug out without it being visually shown, though I would prefer, like many of us, the 2 step process being implemented in the future. 

I think it isn't implemented for the same reasons as to why we can't have basements or dig underground at all, the reasons being the fact that right now the ground tile is recognized as the lowest surface in the game. Whilst it would probably be best to have this be a 2 step process (Dig the ditch then plant the log), showing a ditch in the ground just isn't possible unless an illusion of some sort is implemented, which it likely won't be.

All we could really have right now is to have it be a single step that requires the log wall and a shovel, which suggests the ditch being dug out without it being visually shown, though I would prefer, like many of us, the 2 step process being implemented in the future. 

For some reason when I originally responded, I thought the log wall needed a saw or axe. It might actually make sense to have it require a shovel, considering it's currently just a log and a sheet. :D

For some reason when I originally responded, I thought the log wall needed a saw or axe. It might actually make sense to have it require a shovel, considering it's currently just a log and a sheet. :D

Well, unless you're master of foraging with many, many days to spare finding logs, an axe is kind of required for making log walls, trees are not going to cut themselves down.

Well, unless you're master of foraging with many, many days to spare finding logs, an axe is kind of required for making log walls, trees see not going to cut themselves down.
Unless they're emo trees or masochistic. Lol

For the log wall it should have different build times. No shovel = longest, Trowel = slightly shorter, Spade = shortest time. But what about those that build them on concrete? Require a hammer = longer time, Sledgehammer = shortest time.

An workbench/storage area would be nice if we could prebuild then move the items to where they are needed (add in a planning mode lol) allowing entire teams to put things together. Main carpenter gets most experience for building the base of the items. Installer gets less experience for just going over and plopping them down into place.

For the log wall it should have different build times. No shovel = longest, Trowel = slightly shorter, Spade = shortest time. But what about those that build them on concrete? Require a hammer = longer time, Sledgehammer = shortest time.

An workbench/storage area would be nice if we could prebuild then move the items to where they are needed (add in a planning mode lol) allowing entire teams to put things together. Main carpenter gets most experience for building the base of the items. Installer gets less experience for just going over and plopping them down into place.

I WANT THIS! :D

Well.. digging with bare hands will be veeeeeeeeery time consuming. It could also be dangeours to your hands (bleeding, infection form dirt - character died).

Digging with bare hands in concrete.. well that's some hardcore way to die.

It will be best when it could be done only on dirt because dirt is soft and can be fitted to logs when needed and you can't fit logs and concrete also you can't make perfect ditch matched to logs with tools like sledgehammer etc.

Picture:

log_wall_3.jpg

That is the hilarious thing about them making the map so giant, because in the end they probably need to make ground level like floor 1 or 2 and it is 99% my guess that the map they are expanding and that idea do not go well with eachother. Eventho, it would probably be really sweet to base in a sewer.