Never tested this myself. However, the PZWiki has some hints about the pros and cons:

Pros:

1) Wider angle of fire, so it can quickly kill a large group of zombies close-up, giving you time and space to escape.

2) It weighs far less than the standard shotgun.

Cons:

1) Causes less damage to a single target than the standard Shotgun.

2) A sawn-off shotgun is less durable than the regular shotgun.

3) Has a considerably shorter (25% less) range than the regular Shotgun.

4) Has a much larger sound radius to be heard by zombies than a Shotgun.

Under the items section of the PZ Wiki it lists sawn off shotgun as doing more damage then regular shotgun, some of the highest damage of all ranged weapons. If you add the choke tube for the extra 0.5 you hit 3.0 which is on par with the sledgehammer. Although lots of this information is incredibly inconsistent, if you are traveling with friends and ambushing someone, it may pay to have a sawed off shotgun at the front of your crew.

Can you mod sawn off shotguns? i know you can turn a modded shotgun into a sawn off but i dont know if the effects carry over. I can remember trying to mod a sawnoff and not getting any option to do so. Out of sawn off(not modded before or after becoming a sawnoff) a normal shot gun, a Shotgun with full choke and Shotgun with improved choke. I found the shotgun with full choke to be the best against zeds. Small or big packs it seemed to kill more per shot. 

(Full choke= decreased cone size, increased damage---Improved choke=Increased cone size,reduced damage)

But if i somehow missed it and you can mod a sawn off..then sawn off full choke would be pretty crazy

At one point in time, around build 29.3 or something, I'm almost certain that sawed off shotguns all were the same regardless of what mods it had prior, and prevented the addition of any more mods. I mentioned it on the bug tracker along with an issue that was causing weapon weight to be miscalculated. They fixed the weight issue, but I've not tested modding sawn offs yet.

EDIT: I made a sawn off shotgun that had ammo straps and it kept the upgrade, however, once I removed it I was unable to re attach it. So mod your shotgun before you cut the barrel and hope the mod bonuses actually apply.