Dreams and sleep discussion.

Footmuffin

I have a book called Dark Intrusions; the author, claimed to experience several paranormal occurrences related to sleep, sleep paralysis in particular. If you think lucid dreaming is crazy, you should know about "out of body experience". He states that he can occasionally "leave" his physical body (while sleeping) unto an astral one, which make him "float" around as if flying. Also, this "astral-plane" may inhabit aggressive spirits eager to hunt him down for lurking too much as if he is in the Matrix or something.

And this differs from just dreaming these events... how exactly? :P

Well, yeah. Think of it as "spirit walking", you literally leave your physical body and travel with your astral one. Some researchers link OBE with lucid dreaming also.

If you ever heard of "Near-death experience", you might get the picture.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a book called Dark Intrusions; the author, claimed to experience several paranormal occurrences related to sleep, sleep paralysis in particular. If you think lucid dreaming is crazy, you should know about "out of body experience". He states that he can occasionally "leave" his physical body (while sleeping) unto an astral one, which make him "float" around as if flying. Also, this "astral-plane" may inhabit aggressive spirits eager to hunt him down for lurking too much as if he is in the Matrix or something.

I'm actually doing an experiment on this, to test wether your Astral-body is in the dream-world or reality.

Basicly what we're doing is, my friend has written a word on a piece of paper that only he knows, he will hang it in his room and if I ever get an OBE I would fly over to his house, read the word and tell him it next day. This way we can know wether I'm really flying around in reality or just a copy of the world in my dream...

I'm aware of what the terms mean. However the intent of my question was, how do you distinguish the writer, or anyone else for that matter, having a "genuine" experience of this sort, instead of just having a dream with similar qualities?

Actually, you don't :P you just take their words for it I guess.

I'm actually doing an experiment on this, to test wether your Astral-body is in the dream-world or reality.

Basicly what we're doing is, my friend has written a word on a piece of paper that only he knows, he will hang it in his room and if I ever get an OBE I would fly over to his house, read the word and tell him it next day. This way we can know wether I'm really flying around in reality or just a copy of the world in my dream...

How do you intent on getting an OBE in the first place? is it that easy?

I think you get OBE by doing simple WILD (The term may be different).

When you lay straight down and completely freeze (lying either on back or stomach). Don't move muscle, don't move eyes, try not to have your thoughts flooded ("What am I going to do tomorrow? Well, that was a good movie, *song lyrics*" and so on), don't itch, etcetera.

After a while (in maybe 30 mins if you are doing everything correctly) you'll start entering dream state. You'll know it when it happens. So, just imagine getting out of your body (pulling yourself up on the rope) Until you are out. Don't open the eyes until you are sure that you are out of bed. Don't freak out, take everything normally.

As a person who doesn't believe in all paranormal, astral things, I believe (And I've read many articles about it) that OBE is just a state of lucid dream, a little different, because you are convinced that you are a spirit and out of your body. Once you move outside your apartment, you'll see a lot of things changed in a different way from reality. The apartment may look as real as it is, but almost anything outside it - not. You may even see yourself in bed - just don't freak out ;) It's just a dream. If you start panicking, you'll most likely see dark figures approaching you and shit, which will freak you out even more.

When you lay straight down and completely freeze (lying either on back or stomach). Don't move muscle, don't move eyes, try not to have your thoughts flooded ("What am I going to do tomorrow? Well, that was a good movie, *song lyrics*" and so on), don't itch, etcetera.

After a while (in maybe 30 mins if you are doing everything correctly) you'll start entering dream state. You'll know it when it happens. So, just imagine getting out of your body (pulling yourself up on the rope) Until you are out. Don't open the eyes until you are sure that you are out of bed. Don't freak out, take everything normally.

As a person who doesn't believe in all paranormal, astral things, I believe (And I've read many articles about it) that OBE is just a state of lucid dream, a little different, because you are convinced that you are a spirit and out of your body. Once you move outside your apartment, you'll see a lot of things changed in a different way from reality. The apartment may look as real as it is, but almost anything outside it - not. You may even see yourself in bed - just don't freak out ;) It's just a dream. If you start panicking, you'll most likely see dark figures approaching you and shit, which will freak you out even more.

Yes, I'm planning on using the WILD-method mixed with WBTB to induce sleep-paralysis, which is the gate-way to lucid-dreaming. I've never had an OBE but I've gotten pretty close, I got the feeling I sunk through my bed and was falling of a moutain. Like you said, I'm not too convinced wether you really are a spirit leaving your body, I think it's just your dream-world that's copying reality, like in a false-awakening.

The idea of leaving your body as a spirit and seeing your physical body lying in bed is quite terrifying to me. :P

Yes, I'm planning on using the WILD-method mixed with WBTB to induce sleep-paralysis, which is the gate-way to lucid-dreaming. I've never had an OBE but I've gotten pretty close, I got the feeling I sunk through my bed and was falling of a moutain. Like you said, I'm not too convinced wether you really are a spirit leaving your body, I think it's just your dream-world that's copying reality, like in a false-awakening.

The WBTB-method? care to share?

The idea of leaving your body as a spirit and seeing your physical body lying in bed is quite terrifying to me. :P

.. And ..

The WBTB-method? care to share?

It's not as terrifying as you would imagine. If you don't consider whatever you see as "real" (as in - leaving your physical body for real), it may turn out quite an interesting experience. I once ended up jumping and flying around my apartment like a crazy maniac (That was my first time lucid dreaming ever - It didn't last very long, but hell was it AWESOME to experience.) Imagine gravity suddenly gone, or even better - you are in control of it. You touch the walls and they feel very real. How cool is that? Who the hell has time to think of something scary? I wanted to get as much fun out of it as it can last!

WBTB, as far as I'm concerned, is setting up alarm clock in the middle of the night, about 6-7 hours into the sleep (So if you get to bed at 21:00 (9PM), you have to set alarm clock at 4 AM. When you wake up, you need to occupy your thoughts with only Lucid dreaming, and nothing beside that. Sit down and read articles about lucid dreaming, or maybe keep repeating to yourself "Next time I fall asleep, I'll have lucid dream" for about 30-45 minutes, then go back to bed. You will MOST LIKELY experience lucid dreams after that. I haven't been doing it that often because I'm often very lazy to get up and stay awake in the middle of the night. But about 9 out of 10 times I tried it, I ended up lucid dreaming.

EDIT: I also went into habit (don't ask why... Just don't) of checking twice whether or not I'm in a dream or not when using a toilet. So now whenever I'll go to the toilet in a dream, I'll almost instantly know that I'm dreaming. Now I need to grow this habit for something other than that, And soon I'll be able to recognize dreams all the time.

Like LeoIvanov said, it's a method that you use to wake up just before REM-sleep begins, so that when you go back to sleep you instantly dive into a dream. I don't use any alarm-clocks or anything cause I don't want to wake up the others... (fedora) 

How I do it? Before I go to bed I take a glas of water and drink half of it, then I imagine drinking the other half about 4,5 hours later. The thing is you have to completly immerse yourself into your imagination thinking you will wake-up and drink that water in the middle of the night. Weird I know but it works, and it gives you some flexibility cause if you don't want to mess around with the night you can just close your eyes and sleep further, you're still on the edge of sleeping. :cool: 

Lucid dreaming is something Ive been trying to do for some time time but for some reason I just cant seem to do a Wild. I lay in bed untill I am completely relaxed and get to the point where I start hearing noises, so I know I am getting close but at that point I either fall asleep or nothing happens. Anyone got any tips to help me out?

Lucid dreaming is something Ive been trying to do for some time time but for some reason I just cant seem to do a Wild. I lay in bed untill I am completely relaxed and get to the point where I start hearing noises, so I know I am getting close but at that point I either fall asleep or nothing happens. Anyone got any tips to help me out?

Don't worry and remember, in order to have a dream you have to fall asleep.

WBTB sounds simple enough, I'll try it the next time I have some nerves. What would I try next also, is to let my self surrender to the paralysis that happen occasionally when you wake up suddenly. I always thought of it as some sort of gateway to the dreamworld, because people usually counter it (as I do 99% of time), no one likes to be paralyzed, its terrifying.

I've got sleep paralyzed this afternoon, maybe because I was so tired, but nevertheless, something interesting happened. While I'm paralyzed, I let my imagination go free and just then, I've felt as if someone lean on my back and bit my throat, my body trembled, I got cold, as if this creature sucked my energy somehow. I got the feeling that this "creature" was a succubus, how awesome to be sucked by a succubus. :P

WBTB sounds simple enough, I'll try it the next time I have some nerves. What would I try next also, is to let my self surrender to the paralysis that happen occasionally when you wake up suddenly. I always thought of it as some sort of gateway to the dreamworld, because people usually counter it (as I do 99% of time), no one likes to be paralyzed, its terrifying.

I've got sleep paralyzed this afternoon, maybe because I was so tired, but nevertheless, something interesting happened. While I'm paralyzed, I let my imagination go free and just then, I've felt as if someone lean on my back and bit my throat, my body trembled, I got cold, as if this creature sucked my energy somehow. I got the feeling that this "creature" was a succubus, how awesome to be sucked by a succubus. :P

You are basicly are in a dream already, you sense things that don't exist.

I never really remember dreaming anything when I wake up, aka no dreams for me haha. Sometimes I dream tho, but I only get half-way into the dream before my alarm clock wakes me up, don't you hate when that happens ahahah? :D

I usually end up sleeping through the alarm, actually.

Holy shit, last night I tryed something called 'Auto-suggestion', basicly I repeated to myself that I will wake up at 4 in the night, I repeated it not as a dominant thought. I was thinking other things but kept it on the background, playing as a broken record. After about 3 minutes I didn't notice it instantly but I had stopped repeating it. I didn't knew how long I had already stopped but for some reason I felt confident that it would work. And guess what! I woke up dizzy, opened up my ipad and I red it was 03:51 !!!

Perfect for performing some WILD, but I had school that day so I decided to sleep normally and leave it for now.

Holy shit, last night I tryed something called 'Auto-suggestion', basicly I repeated to myself that I will wake up at 4 in the night, I repeated it not as a dominant thought. I was thinking other things but kept it on the background, playing as a broken record. After about 3 minutes I didn't notice it instantly but I had stopped repeating it. I didn't knew how long I had already stopped but for some reason I felt confident that it would work. And guess what! I woke up dizzy, opened up my ipad and I red it was 03:51 !!!

Perfect for performing some WILD, but I had school that day so I decided to sleep normally and leave it for now.

Pretty much if you put your mind on something you will definitely do it. Not a lot of people know about this unfortunately.

• 5 months later...

Nice to see there's already a thread for this. I rarely (remember my) dream actually. But last night I had a dream like this...

It starts with when I see some gay guy walking outside of my house, holding a piece of paper. I assumed he wanted to get me to sign something or a survey or something, I have no idea. After some time has passed and I assume he's not coming to me since I don't hear any ringing on the doorbell or anything, so I just forget about it. So as I am walking around I discover he's inside my house and I say something like "WTF are you doing, how did you get in here?" and as I say that he grabs a candlestick and kills me with it. That's when I wake up. I think he said something about that he's a thief or something right before killing me, I don't remember.

So yes, it's a very bizarre dream but I got an awesome interpretation from someone on another website, even though I don't believe in that stuff. I will post it here a little bit later.

I've been typing stuff on these forums that I either, realized was already posted, or went too astray I didn't bother. That's literally the dream I had last night, besides some weird morgue type thing where there was blood everywhere and I kept looping back if I went through a doorway... I was typing on these forums and not actually posting whatever I wrote. Which wouldn't have been consistent if I was lucid dreaming and looked away and back at the letters again.

I've kept dream journals for a while that I can remember most of my dreams in little detail just like a GIF. I'm getting so close to Lucid Dreaming giving up now would be a shame. Anyone have any tips for someone like me whose dreams are incredibly realistic, but still not Lucid? :(

I've been typing stuff on these forums that I either, realized was already posted, or went too astray I didn't bother. That's literally the dream I had last night, besides some weird morgue type thing where there was blood everywhere and I kept looping back if I went through a doorway... I was typing on these forums and not actually posting whatever I wrote. Which wouldn't have been consistent if I was lucid dreaming and looked away and back at the letters again.

I've kept dream journals for a while that I can remember most of my dreams in little detail just like a GIF. I'm getting so close to Lucid Dreaming giving up now would be a shame. Anyone have any tips for someone like me whose dreams are incredibly realistic, but still not Lucid? :(

Just today I woke up early in the morning to let my cousin go after some intense birthday party (not really). Went back to nap through morning and shortly after realized that I'm in a dream. I kept thinking that if I open my eyes in a dream I'll open them in bed, and, since I expected it, I dreamt of accidently opening my eyes in bed, woke up and went to mirror to double check if I'm dreaming... My mind tricked me into thinking that I am not, since all my reality checks passed.

I'd say - take your clock and set it 7-8 hours into sleep. Then, after you wake up in early morning, try NOT to move and remember what you've been dreaming of. Write it down after you recall as much details as possible. Then get up, go to toilet if neccessary, and keep your mind on lucid dreams all the time. In about 15-30 minutes, go back to sleep, keep yourself focused on lucid dreams only. Eventually, you'll get them, if you keep doing it every time before sleep.