You can't do generators inside! Please no, it's DEADLY!

Char

I read in the mondoid, that generators would be indoors.

It's deadly to operate a generator indoors.

If you want to simulate carbon monoxide poisoning, though, that would be cool. otherwise, put it outside away from open/broken windows. connect the generator with an extension cord of some sort, or just for simplicity, select the generator outside, select an option to plug it into a house...

If you did add carbon monoxide, it would be cool to have to open garage doors when cars are running or else have to install an air exhaust system in the room... I bet a fire station might already have something like that installed... add sliding fire station poles too I guess...

PLEASE don't run generators in doors.

PLEASE don't run cars in doors.

The bonuses of the generator being outside include:

You won't die in your sleep!

You won't fall asleep and die!

-carbon monoxide, the silent killer

It might be a good idea to put the generator in an outdoor shed or ventilated garage of some kind. That way the carbon monoxide concerns are somewhat mitigated. Though, for this to be fair the generator tooltip should include a warning describing that this might happen if care isn't taken. If there was any actual concern for this happening the odds of a generator having a warning about carbon monoxide would be pretty high.

also, putting it on a roof might be a good idea, but it might also draw zombies through your house to the upstairs! Ending with you getting a broken leg for jumping out a window... Another technique might to be a remotely located scaffolding tower with the generator on it, and some sort of sketchy rampart/cat walk to service it...

best idea is what people with mountain cabins running on generators do, run an extension to the exhaust pipe out a hole in a wall or up the wall and out of a roof vent.

but the fact is, any generator in a zombie apocalypse will make enough noise that people and zombies would be able to locate it, unless you find a way to fill the generators room with sound deadening material. with none of the usual things creating noise (cars, trucks,businesses,....) the world will be a quiet place

I think there's coding consideration here, 'inside' is a different zone from 'outside', and it's a lot easier to modify existing zone states.

This was my guess. Does PZ dynamically update zones during gameplay? If not, then generators probably wouldn't work in custom built bases. Although I do know there is some type of mechanism (zone?) that prevents zombies from spawning inside custom built bases. If there is some type of zoning mechanism, I guess the zone could dynamically expand to include tiles laid with extension cords?

Why would you use a generator at all. As a contractor I use them all the time and they are extremely loud and use a fair amount of fuel. Seeing as the gas will all be expired after 30 to 60 days and rendering animal fat is disgusting and time consuming, I really don't see the point. Rip an alternator out of a car and the gear and chain off of a bycicle and after a little so-easy-a-child-could-do-it construction you have yourself a windmill. No fuel consumption, almost silent and an almost constant supply of power. Am I the only one that watched "The Colony"?

Why would you use a generator at all. As a contractor I use them all the time and they are extremely loud and use a fair amount of fuel. Seeing as the gas will all be expired after 30 to 60 days and rendering animal fat is disgusting and time consuming, I really don't see the point. Rip an alternator out of a car and the gear and chain off of a bycicle and after a little so-easy-a-child-could-do-it construction you have yourself a windmill. No fuel consumption, almost silent and an almost constant supply of power. Am I the only one that watched "The Colony"?

The problem with windmills/watermills is they produce only a trickle of power at a time, so you'd need many of them or large ones that have the torque to spin a gearbox fast enough to generate decent power. Gasoline has a lot of potential energy in relation to its mass and can be kept nearly indefinitely if in a airtight container, and can be aided by fuel stabilizer. Otherwise, you're correct in that gas usually has a shelf life of only 30 days, which would render at least 90% of all gas in-game unusable after that time.

I was hoping it could stay simple, just put them outside.

This is how you make things complicated...

ok a windmill is a nice idea, but then again so is hydroelectric or photo voltaic. All three of these systems require a battery bank to store the power until use, these batteries are generally considered highly dangerous (extremely flammable/explosive)... You'll also need an inverter to change the dc to ac.

For the windmill, a gyro/slip fitting so the head can pivot for max efficiency would be important. also the windmill should be decently higher than everything around it... it would take some hard work to construct solo (also a bucket truck for erecting the trunk would help, or a lull, etc...)... Also, Muldraugh is really, really... flat.

Ok, and hydro would be a real pain to make in the game, i'm sure... so I'll just skip that... unless there was a dam built in game already...

And PV is probably the easiest, if you can get your hands on the panels.

All three systems need the inverter and batteries... not just car batteries either, nice liquid ones that can blow up if you ash your cig in it.

And back to generators... Generators can run off LP. 2 big bottles will last a few weeks of straight running.. if they add trucks in the game you could go to a Gas company and try and pump your own, that's what I'd do.

Generators are loud, that's what's cool about them. Anything to make you feel less safe, or to make you only use it while you're cooking the food for the week.

So just keep it simple. Add generators, keep them outside, and I'll use it for an hour a week to cook a bunch of steak, and then turn it off and wheel it back into my garage like a responsible post apocalypse homeowner...

Though I agree that a windmill would be too complicated, a watermill could be possible, although difficult. You'd need to build the wheel with a rather large number of boards and nails, connect that to a gear/belt drive of sorts (maybe from a bicycle) to increase the RPM and connect it to an alternator to generate the power. It'll need a small battery to kick off the electromagnet, or some initial power in the storage battery, but after that it preserves the magnetic field until stopped.

Though I agree that a windmill would be too complicated, a watermill could be possible, although difficult. You'd need to build the wheel with a rather large number of boards and nails, connect that to a gear/belt drive of sorts (maybe from a bicycle) to increase the RPM and connect it to an alternator to generate the power. It'll need a small battery to kick off the electromagnet, or some initial power in the storage battery, but after that it preserves the magnetic field until stopped.

How is a windmill more complicated than a watermill? They're quite literally the exact same thing apart from the mechanism by which they capture moving energy to generate power.

I'd love to see a bicycle generator, personally. Help your character get or stay in shape and generate small amounts of energy at a time.

How is a windmill more complicated than a watermill? They're quite literally the exact same thing apart from the mechanism by which they capture moving energy to generate power.

The physical mechanics are essentially the same, but introduction into the game would be a totally different beast, due to lack of wind. The other problem is it would be unreliable and potentially wasteful when generating power since every time it would spin up the alternator would need to use power. If there were a game-friendly way to build your own permanent magnet generator then it would be a more feasible project since it removes the requirement for initial power.

They have giant waterwheels like what you are describing, they are called hydro-electric dams.

Water releases energy as it falls to the ground and that energy you harvest with your water wheel. The weight of a waterfall / river versus your wind. That is why wind mills are massive and water wheels are small.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but... google... eight-killed-carbon-monoxide-accident-maryland-home

just happened today, I think.

Looks like it was a family off the grid using a gas generator... hmmmm, see my point?

edit - ABC news said it was a gas generator ;)

This is how you died... carbon monoxide poisoning! Good thing is you won't come back to bite and possibly kill other human beings. As for RL... carbon monoxide is INCREDIBLY dangerous, and too often ignored as a possible hazard.