Leveling Carpentry seems crazy

explorator

I understand that taking carpentry points (or characters that start with carpentry levels), and perks like fast learner could help, but the point was that the multiplier is NOT working. That was the point. New players are going to quickly get frustrated, disillusioned or think this game takes way to long to level skills if the multiplier is not 'working'.

Currently skill books being obsolete, The illiterate skill and slow learner etc would be viable for the high points if the skill books no longer give extra boosts or help with the learning of skills.

Just my thoughts, from a Project Zomboid player who was been here since the beginning.

I understand that taking carpentry points (or characters that start with carpentry levels), and perks like fast learner could help, but the point was that the multiplier is NOT working. That was the point. New players are going to quickly get frustrated, disillusioned or think this game takes way to long to level skills if the multiplier is not 'working'.

Currently skill books being obsolete, The illiterate skill and slow learner etc would be viable for the high points if the skill books no longer give extra boosts or help with the learning of skills.

Just my thoughts, from a Project Zomboid player who was been here since the beginning.

who said the skills book are obsolete?

each book covers 2 stages now, so beginner=1-2...intermediate=3-4...advanced=5-6...expert=7-8 and master =9-10

read it once for the first boost, then after you get the first point read it again (takes 10 seconds the second time thru, just a refresher)

Already a bug fix for the multiplier not being properly applied. Got to check the tracker from time to time, guys. :P

That was the point. New players are going to quickly get frustrated, disillusioned or think this game takes way to long to level skills if the multiplier is not 'working'.

Mild pedantry on my part: Then they shouldn't be in IWBUMS build.

General bitching (not directed at anyone) after spending weeks (years?) dealing with people
(and being one) upset about changes (medical, professions, exaustion, canning, .etc .etc):

Look, I know people are worried about TIS cocking it up, but there's a reason this stuff is going through IWBUMS before it hits public (and even when it's public, it'll be tweaked and retweaked). The "Oh, everyone will hate this!" | "You can't do this, it's crazy!" | "Change it back!" stuff isn't necessary . . . and outright depressing.

Personally, I think people just have to accept that they won't gain levels stupidly fast anymore. There was no sense of progression in the past or any real indicator that professions/traits/hobbies really mattered in the previous version of the game.

You could spend a week in game and max out  3-4 skills . . . That should have been disillusioning and frustrating all along. Because, guess what, once you hit those 5 levels, progression is dead. Now we have people that spend 20-150 hours on average (going by the Steam reviews). What does this mean? Most people spend at least a month to six months in game.

Where is their sense of progression if people bulk at having to spend a week building a stockcade to get to crates or rain barrels? There isn't any. Where's the sense of having a unique character if any character can do this (easily)? There isn't any.

If that is disillusioning, they can play in sandbox with a higher modifier when this is all over.

As long as all the exp modifiers are working for all the skills I am fine with the new level system.

I really like the pace of leveling now, and it makes exp-bonus perks gained at character creation very important.  For those that want to have an edge in leveling some of the key skills, like cooking and carpentry, the career and trait bonuses will be key. 

Also, the pace of leveling now will make profession choices more important in MP, which is really cool.  Making a balanced group will give a much higher level of efficiency.  A group of Veterans may sound ideal until someone needs to build something or make meals with poor ingredients. 

I might be about to say non-sense, but to people complaining that skill books' multipliers don't work for carpentry when they don't take any point to begin with, are you sure it's not working ? Someone who starts a game with lvl 0 in any given skill, we'll have a penalty multiplier of 0.33x (or 0.25x, not sure) on that skill. Which means a 3x mutliplier applied on 0.33x penalty gives 1. So, if a basic carpentry action have a 1xp basis, that you didn't take any carpentry related trait, but read a skillbook, don't expect to have more than 1xp.

That makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think it's just carpentry. My current character has fast learner, and they all seem to be raising very slowly. Combat skills seem to be raising at a fair pace - not to slow or too quickly.. But all the others do seem just a tad too slow - at least for low levels in the skill. Personally I don't think 1-4 should take quite as long as they do. For real mastery, yes, 4+ should be slower than it was. But getting basic competence shouldn't be too bad.

I would suggest Construction Worker profession, it starts with 1 carpentry and 3 blunt. Add Baseball player and Brawler for a whopping level 5 Blunt :D

You'll kick some serious ass with a level 5 blunt armed with Nailed Baseball bat!

There is a difference between real life and games. I don't want to spend hours trying to level up carpentry like I would need to in real life, but at the same time I don't want to read one book and be a pro. There needs to be a balance.

I picked park ranger for the one point of carpentry, and with skill books, I have no problems levelling carpentry. Maybe I got lucky with a bug, but it takes a while and is manageable.

On a side note, if carpentry is a problem, make a character with all carp traits, fast learner etc. Then grind and build your base, shouldn't take long at all as you can potentially start at level 4. Then when base is built kill yourself and make your main character and use the same base. I delete my save if I Die, but this may help those with limited time options.

You have just highlighted what is wrong with the universal penalty to XP gains. Unnecessary difficulties to gameplay, on top of the NECESSARY ones. Encouraging to grind. Encouraging to use obvious exploits.

There is a difference between real life and games. I don't want to spend hours trying to level up carpentry like I would need to in real life, but at the same time I don't want to read one book and be a pro. There needs to be a balance.

Indeed. Earning XP in the Pre-.31 system for anything post 3 already takes long enough, assuming you do not find a skill book.