Leveling Carpentry seems crazy

explorator

After barricading every window for two blocks, I finally got to level 2 carpentry and found a book to read that got me a 5x exp multiplier.  Building a wall gains 1 exp with this set up, so I have to build 300!!! walls to get to level 3?!?  So the base exp gain for building a wall is .2?  Is that working as intended?  WTF? This is impossible and a poor simulation.

Very frustrated right now.

Choose one of the professions that start with points in carpentry... There's quite a few: Park ranger, Construction worker, Carpenter, Repairman and the Handy trait. Also you can pick traits like fast learner and fast reader to speed up your process of learning. All this should be obvious by now. If you choose to suck at a trait, you suck at a trait.

Remember, average Joe, not Jack of all trades.

Plus as said by the devs this is being worked on on multiple different levels for build 32.

I understand it is a slow process, but building 300 linear feat of fencing before being able to build a crate seems a bit off.  Hopefully these kinks will be worked out.

Well, I think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about whether that's actually a kink. One point of view is that you're not supposed to be able to do carpentry unless you create a carpenter character. You can try, and if you work very very hard you can get there, but it's deliberately difficult. You'll have to put in a plausible amount of practice. I know I couldn't build a wooden crate if you gave me an axe, a saw, a hammer and a box of nails. There's no way. It'd take me a week to figure out how to consistently get tree pieces cut into usable lumber, at best. So in that sense, the game is already taking it very easy on you.

Like I said, it's a point of view. And that point of view says if you want to do carpentry, roll up a carpenter. Otherwise, do other things.

Well, I think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about whether that's actually a kink. One point of view is that you're not supposed to be able to do carpentry unless you create a carpenter character. You can try, and if you work very very hard you can get there, but it's deliberately difficult. You'll have to put in a plausible amount of practice. I know I couldn't build a wooden crate if you gave me an axe, a saw, a hammer and a box of nails. There's no way. It'd take me a week to figure out how to consistently get tree pieces cut into usable lumber, at best. So in that sense, the game is already taking it very easy on you.

Building a fence is actually harder than building a basic crate in my opinion.  You really need a post hole digger and concrete to build a good fence.  You could build a fence without the concrete but it would not be very durable.

Building a fence is actually harder than building a basic crate in my opinion.  You really need a post hole digger and concrete to build a good fence.  You could build a fence without the concrete but it would not be very durable.

I didn't think of that. That's a great point. In a lot of ways carpentry already stretches the bounds of plausibility for make-the-game-fun reasons. This is not a bad thing.

I could build you a perfectly durable fence without concrete.

It would just also very perfectly stealable :D

In reality-

Give me some planks, saw, hammer and nails and I could build a staircase in a day.

Give me some logs, saw, hammer and nails and I could spend weeks trying to saw logs into planks.....

But it is a game, so they just need something that works and is fun.

Sawing logs is the best way to go if you wanna learn carpentry. But it's still slow and a big grind if you start with no skills on it as intended ofcourse.

I started a character once with zero carpenter skill but fast learner and sawed like 638 trees and then I finally got to level 4 carpentry for those rain barrels. It was a real pain let me tell you! Won't ever do that again for sure :D

I think it's fair to say okay, carpentry is a skill and skills are hard to learn and that's fine, but what useful things can an unskilled person do with a hammer and some nails? Barricading windows and doors is a great example: Give me a board and a hammer and some nails and I can totally barricade a window, and that's useful in the context of the game. But what else could I do with a hammer and nails that would be useful? I think that's where the game can be improved vis a vis low level carpentry. It takes a lot of skill to build furniture, but an idiot with a hammer can … whatever. Fill in that blank.

I do not think sawing logs gives exp anymore, so you are stuck building stuff.  

Look, I know I can play a carpenter if I want to build stuff, but I have found that I get more exp in other skills with the same exp boosts in place, which makes me wonder if there is a bug with carpentry.

For instance, if I read a cooking book and have the same bonuses, doing something cooking related like making a butter sandwich gains me a decent amount of exp, while in carpentry I gain only a single exp point per skill-related action.  No matter my exp bonuses or any other factor, I only gain one exp per build action in carpentry.

Maybe Carpentry is meant to work differently than the other skills, but that would seem weird. 

I picked park ranger for the one point of carpentry, and with skill books, I have no problems levelling carpentry. Maybe I got lucky with a bug, but it takes a while and is manageable.

On a side note, if carpentry is a problem, make a character with all carp traits, fast learner etc. Then grind and build your base, shouldn't take long at all as you can potentially start at level 4. Then when base is built kill yourself and make your main character and use the same base. I delete my save if I Die, but this may help those with limited time options.

From the recent update (IWBUMS - IWILLBACKUPMYSAVE) Early Access V31.6. I am experiencing this problem too. Since the levels for all the skills went from 5 to 10. I have a XP multiplier of 3 on my level 0- carpentry, yet barricading windows, sawing logs only give 1 experience. The level multiplier is not working. Also Can not 'build' anything at this level since I am zero. So have to saw/barricade 75 logs and windows to get to the first level.

Chopping, carrying, sawing about 5-6 logs usually exhausts me, so I have to go and rest, then repeat the process.

Hopefully there is a fix that does not destroy my game. 1 month, 24 days and 10 hours so far into my survival game and only got my first Axe 6 days ago after 700+ zombies killed.  A harder feat with the overbearing exhaustion system, where I could pretty much only kill 5-6 zombies early game and become exhausted until i rested. Have resorted to using Hammers since they seemed to not give me the quick exhaustion that the baseball bats (which i have not found hardly any. only two in the first month)

Sorry long post, but yeah to the original poster, this is not how it should be ( Putting reality aside since this is a game, and previously the mutlipliers did work)

I don't mind the exhaustion system, but we need the level multipliers running asap. New players will get very frustrated and not bother playing. I have been playing for almost 2 years, so i realise, expect the bugs and the restarts, plus it is fun to restart and raid the larders and pantries then go OH no power! NOOOO no water!

If you want to save time while leveling carpentry don't carry the logs. Just chop the tree and saw the logs.

Free logs are also available at McCoys. This way you can spare your axe.

I managed to get to level 7 within 5 days in the 8months after apocalypse sandbox setting. So EnigmaGrey is totally right, it isn't that bad.

Leveling speed is not bad. Right now game works like that: you want to build cool stuff -> take carpenter job and enjoy building your castle.

You want to build simple stuff like just rain collectora -> take one point in carpentry.

You dont like to grind and wait -> fast learner is for you.

If your character is speced for bulding its not taking that long to get those lvl.

If its not dont expect to build stuff as a cook after 2-3 days of learning.

We have 3 carpenters in our group, no one ever complained about leveling speed.

I do not think sawing logs gives exp anymore, so you are stuck building stuff.  

Look, I know I can play a carpenter if I want to build stuff, but I have found that I get more exp in other skills with the same exp boosts in place, which makes me wonder if there is a bug with carpentry.

For instance, if I read a cooking book and have the same bonuses, doing something cooking related like making a butter sandwich gains me a decent amount of exp, while in carpentry I gain only a single exp point per skill-related action.  No matter my exp bonuses or any other factor, I only gain one exp per build action in carpentry.

Maybe Carpentry is meant to work differently than the other skills, but that would seem weird. 

A lot of Carpentry items had their xp rewards lowered in 31. I'm pretty sure anything built with logs (including sawing planks) had the base xp reduced from 3 to 0.3. This is intentional.