Filling bathtubs

Heavensmith

Hey everyone,

I was a bit surprised to not find this anywhere on the forum, since it has already been suggested on Steam. Maybe the developers and everyone else has already heard of it then, but I thought it was worth mentionning :)

How about being able to block bathtubs with a rag or something, and filling them with water? If a player is trying to hold out in an urban area, it would be a pretty good water container, since an average tub can hold at least 150 litres of water.

This mechanic could also be used to fill sinks throughout to house. It wouldn't change much at first, but it could sure come in handy when the water finally cuts out and you've got 40 extra gallons waiting in the bathroom :)

Indeed the water could become dirty depending on the state of the tub, or it could maybe become stagnant if left untouched for too long. I know tainted water is already planned but I don't know in which release. I'm not playing IWBUMS so I may be lagging behind a bit in this domain :-P

Indeed the water could become dirty depending on the state of the tub, or it could maybe become stagnant if left untouched for too long. I know tainted water is already planned but I don't know in which release. I'm not playing IWBUMS so I may be lagging behind a bit in this domain :razz:

Tainted water is in build 31, which is on the IWBUMS branch right now. It may not be completely implemented yet. Right now, rainwater and standing water (like river water) are both tainted, and the only way to make them potable is by boiling. There's been talk elsewhere on the forum of disinfecting them by adding some bleach, but I don't know if the devs are considering that suggestion or not.

Indeed the water could become dirty depending on the state of the tub (...)

I like the general idea of bathtub filling and i agree that the state of the tub could affect the speed of water degradation.

I would suggest that cleaning it (and rinsing) before hand with bleach could be implemented and would determine the state of the tub (ranging from squeaky-clean to disgusting or something).  Also, scrubbers pads instead of towels could be needed to obtain the highest level of cleanliness.

Indeed the water could become dirty depending on the state of the tub (...)

I like the general idea of bathtub filling and i agree that the state of the tub could affect the speed of water degradation.

I would suggest that cleaning it (and rinsing) before hand with bleach could be implemented and would determine the state of the tub (ranging from squeaky-clean to disgusting or something).  Also, scrubbers pads instead of towels could be needed to obtain the highest level of cleanliness.

It really wouldn't matter. In just a little while standing water that isn't covered is going to become a breeding ground for pathogens like viruses, and also for insects. This'll happen regardless of whether you scrub the soap residue out of the bottom of the tub or not.

Now, adding a little bleach, about 1/8th tsp per gallon, directly to the water will make it very inhospitable to very nearly everything for a while (the hypochlorite ion in bleach reacts with stuff and thus vanishes over time), but I think if that ends up in the game the ratio of bleach to water needs to be raised significantly so a single bottle of bleach doesn't give you potable water for a year.

(...) In just a little while standing water that isn't covered is going to become a breeding ground for pathogens like viruses, and also for insects. (...)

What if we ducktape some plastic bag or garbage bag over it?

(...) In just a little while standing water that isn't covered is going to become a breeding ground for pathogens like viruses, and also for insects. (...)

A tarp would probably be the most suitable fit for a bathtub, though I can only imagine that slightly delaying the water being tainted.

A tarp would probably be the most suitable fit for a bathtub, though I can only imagine that slightly delaying the water being tainted.

If it's airtight, impermeable and opaque it'd preserve the water's potability pretty much indefinitely. Problem is it wouldn't actually be any of those things. In Kentucky, in the summer, it'd really only be a matter of time before that bathtub became home to a zillion invisible mosquito and dragonfly larvae.

Ew. I just grossed myself out.

• 2 weeks later...

(... ) In Kentucky, in the summer, it'd really only be a matter of time before that bathtub became home to a zillion invisible mosquito and dragonfly larvae.

Ew. I just grossed myself out.

Same here :)

So that's what this came to then. Filling bathtubs should be possible, with the possibility to add a cover using tarp or a sheet  with duct-tape (tarp being more effective) in order to keep the water pure for a longer duration of time.

Indeed the water could become dirty depending on the state of the tub, or it could maybe become stagnant if left untouched for too long. I know tainted water is already planned but I don't know in which release. I'm not playing IWBUMS so I may be lagging behind a bit in this domain :razz:

Tainted water is in build 31, which is on the IWBUMS branch right now. It may not be completely implemented yet. Right now, rainwater and standing water (like river water) are both tainted, and the only way to make them potable is by boiling. There's been talk elsewhere on the forum of disinfecting them by adding some bleach, but I don't know if the devs are considering that suggestion or not.

Wait... why would rainwater be tainted? You dont get tainted water from collecting rain water in the collection barrels do you? It isnt like kentucky is super polluted and full of smog or anything is it? So Im having a hard time wrapping my head around it. usually rainwater is already naturally filtered so...