Multiplayer sleep, how should it work?

f3rret

Sleep idea:

Screen goes black, sleep happens in real time, no fast forward BUT a new window pops up with a recorded video of your play since last sleep. You can re-watch, rewind, pause as you wait.

It's kinda like dreaming, your memories are getting encoded in the brain. You have the option of waking up at any time but a Refresh meter tracks your progress from rest. Beds refresh faster. Others more slowly. Players could also chat and check character menus.

I dont think that 20 min of not playing coz of real time sleep would be fun. Even if we make sleep to not sleep ratio 1:3 its still you long for average player.

That "dream" idea seems to be cool but after few night you would like to just skip it and start a new day.

What about making a cartography skill that is accessed during sleep?

During sleep you get to screen where you last walked from your last sleep. So you get a fog of war view of the map and you get to look at places where you searched but not with complete information. So containers you had viewed can say "empty", "some items", "lots of items", or "unknown" or "not sure". Possibly have accuracy of "memory" affected by moodles. Possibly information could be improved if this is directly tied with a skill.

Being able to make notes on things in this mode. These notes are only seen in this mode though. Possibly make this share-able to other players in Co-op? Each player would have their own maps though.

For those of the hunter/farmer/fishing who don't go scavenging possibly have this skill map areas around them with perceived threats of zombie. Like tinted zones of estimated zombies. This could be based on how long the player has been near the area to "gather information". Also could be based on hearing.

What about making a cartography skill that is accessed during sleep?

During sleep you get to screen where you last walked from your last sleep. So you get a fog of war view of the map and you get to look at places where you searched but not with complete information. So containers you had viewed can say "empty", "some items", "lots of items", or "unknown" or "not sure". Possibly have accuracy of "memory" affected by moodles. Possibly information could be improved if this is directly tied with a skill.

Being able to make notes on things in this mode. These notes are only seen in this mode though. Possibly make this share-able to other players in Co-op? Each player would have their own maps though.

For those of the hunter/farmer/fishing who don't go scavenging possibly have this skill map areas around them with perceived threats of zombie. Like tinted zones of estimated zombies. This could be based on how long the player has been near the area to "gather information". Also could be based on hearing.

This is definitely an original idea!

We know that the devs have been looking for a way to incorporate a player map into the game. Could this be how they do it?

I admit that I am not thrilled with the idea that you can get 'work' done while sleeping by editing and reviewing your map. However, it could be a great use of time!

Maybe this idea could be used for when we're reading skill books instead? Not exactly realistic if I'm reading a book on cooking, but at least your character is awake and that makes a little more sense to me than sleeping.

A clever idea and use of time regardless.

Perhaps trappers/fisherman could map out how over-fished or trapped an area is as well?

In the current Don't Starve mp beta you just sleep in realtime, though the days are 4x as long in Zomboid by default so this might not be as fun here. I like OP's idea that there will be a notification letting you know someone is sleeping and that time speeds up if everyone is sleeping. Very good idea for co-op servers.

DEVS you have bunch of good ideas here. Pick one and make it happen, I'm leavin'

Don't dictate terms to the devs. If you've had enough of the conversation, stop adding to it.

Rule one of the forums is Be Lovely. This wasn't being lovely. Be more lovely please.

Sleep hasn't been added into MP yet, because it is way more complicated than you think, and there are more things going on and that need working on than just sleep.

DEVS you have bunch of good ideas here. Pick one and make it happen, I'm leavin'

Don't dictate terms to the devs. If you've had enough of the conversation, stop adding to it.

Rule one of the forums is Be Lovely. This wasn't being lovely. Be more lovely please.

Sleep hasn't been added into MP yet, because it is way more complicated than you think, and there are more things going on and that need working on than just sleep.

I think we covered a bunch of the sleep complications, what are we missing?

I can imagine that when I get a group together to play PZ. we'll be playing with Real-time settings. It's clear that all of the ideas here that touch on the idea of sleep being real time would be...annoying in combination with a 24 hour clock, to say the least.

I'm sure everyone will come to a conclusion eventually, though I jump on the bandwagon of wanting sleep in MP by 1.0. Striving for realism and not including that would be disappointing, but understandable if that's what it comes to. :)

How about a dream mode where you can practice mechanics? Like: fighting zombies unarmed, getting the knife timing right or (a less nightmare-ish dream) fishing.

I think there was a game that did this kind of stuff in load screens but that game had combos to perfect.

How about a dream mode where you can practice mechanics? Like: fighting zombies unarmed, getting the knife timing right or (a less nightmare-ish dream) fishing.

I think there was a game that did this kind of stuff in load screens but that game had combos to perfect.

A dream-mode has been suggested quite a few times and I do like the idea lot, but I think the devs said they didn't want to add a "mini-game aspect" to sleeping to the vanilla game.

That doesn't exclude the possibility to have a community-made mod for it someday.