Water cooler bottles in offices

jefferyharrell

These things:

5gal-bottle_nonbranded.jpg

They should be found in twos or threes in the closets or back rooms of offices (H. Smith Attorney for instance, or Cortman Medical), should hold on the order of 40-80 cups, and should be just ridiculously heavy. Like so heavy that it's probably more practical to leave the bottle where it is and go fill up smaller containers from it.

Would be awesome to have a few of those to refill them with boiled water so you'll have them in an emergency

Oh, I didn't even think of that. Empty, they weigh almost nothing. A clever thing to do would be to find them when the water's still on, empty them, carry them home then fill them from the tap and stash them in crates or something. That's inspired.

personal experience in dealing with those types of bottles, and with full and empty 5 Gallon Propane tanks tells me they are roughly equal in weight when full. we can carry propane tanks in the game, at the cost of it weighing us down, so why would we not be able to carry a bottle of water?

personal experience in dealing with those types of bottles, and with full and empty 5 Gallon Propane tanks tells me they are roughly equal in weight when full. we can carry propane tanks in the game, at the cost of it weighing us down, so why would we not be able to carry a bottle of water?

Water weighs 8lbs/gallon. Its heavy, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to carry it. We can carry multiple logs after all :)

Come on guys, I didn't say they should be un-carryable. Just that they should be appropriately heavy. Throwing three of them in your backpack and then sprinting across town shouldn't be possible, is all.

These things:

Like so heavy that it's probably more practical to leave the bottle where it is and go fill up smaller containers from it.

really?

Only ones I've seen in real life have been so big you'd need both arms to carry it if it was full. Could you carry it? Yes. Would it be incredibly cumbersome and awkward? Also yes.

These things:

Like so heavy that it's probably more practical to leave the bottle where it is and go fill up smaller containers from it.

really?

Yeah, really. Focus on the words "probably more practical to." And don't be so argumentative please. It's just a suggestion. Criminy.

• 2 weeks later...

These bottles would be a nice little addition to office buildings and a good find when you do come across one, but I think game balance would be better if they were fairly uncommon as many could have already been taken by survivors. Also, they should not fit in a backpack. Instead, they could be implemented as their own carrying device that can only contain liquid.

However, one question that may need to be decided is what happens when you add different liquids to the bottle such milk, water, alcohol, soda, etc...

These bottles would be a nice little addition to office buildings and a good find when you do come across one, but I think game balance would be better if they were fairly uncommon as many could have already been taken by survivors. Also, they should not fit in a backpack. Instead, they could be implemented as their own carrying device that can only contain liquid.

However, one question that may need to be decided is what happens when you add different liquids to the bottle such milk, water, alcohol, soda, etc...

Simplest answer is usually the best, have it not be able to be filled by fluids other than water would work fine~ Otherwise, you could always say it needs to be empty to be filled with a different fluid.

I totally think this is a great idea and I believe it would increase realism. Maybe after certain x months after the apocalypse then the water should become tainted. Maybe the weight should be less than a propane tank for as EmigmaGrey said they really are not that heavy... idk just spit balling ideas lol

I did a quick search on google and wikipedia on water coolers. The bottles volume seems to be in range of 15 to 19 liters. Which means, when full they weigh between 15 to 19 kilograms. That's about 33 to 42 lbs.

So you could realistically carry one on each shoulder...perhaps they should be movable only by equipping them to primary or secondary?

I think, given the size and weight they should be treated similar to propane tanks. Heavy and cumbersome. But with a large back pack, you should be able to squeeze it in. Carrying on your should is also doable, but would slow you down considerably, of course.

I like the idea of using these to keep boiled water in. Hauling the jug to a base does seem practical, and could be accomplished similar to hauling propane bottles. I'm in favor of implementing this idea. Good one.

I haven't used the build 31 water system yet. I'm not looking forward to boiling all my water, I'm hoping that this would be a way to do a bunch at a time (boredom+) and keep it as a sanitized reservoir.

In Muldraugh I already know of three or four places where these water coolers are. Would you need a dispenser base for them to be used? That would make the implementation of this idea much more difficult as it would involve moving a piece of furniture, or jury rigging a base from wood?.. I think at the least you'd need a valve.. Or some tubing. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Anyways props, good idea.

truthfully, when it comes to water bottles we have dozens of options that could be implemented. not all would be of the size we recognize from office coolers, but look at the options available....including that one for the bathtub, 4th row down, left side

https://www.google.com/search?q=collapsible+water+containers&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RPoRVZP4K4jooATb7YKYCA&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1120&bih=573&dpr=1.5