Dissmantle/Collect items in the world to reuse in your safe house.

Riicochet

So, I couldn't find a thread about this though there probably is 1, but i'm thinking toward a few specific items.

• Water cooler: store lots of water in your safe house.
  • Oven/Fridge: collect metal or parts of them for repairing or building stuff (not saying build an oven or fridge, though possible).
  • Window/Door: Take them apart without breaking them (not needed, might be nice).
  • Toilet/Sink: cause water to flood out, maybe collect items of them like a tap in order to make sink-like items from water-holders.
  • Table/Chair: Just like doors, would give planks/sticks or such.
  • Shop Shelves: Same as Table/Chair.
  • Stairs: Same as Table/Chair.
  • Cupboard/Wardrobe: Just another way to get planks, but maybe handles too (like doors).
  • Sofa/Bed: Would drop cushions to use like pillows or something, maybe wood.
  • Lamp post: Would drop metal parts, or wires or something for repairs.
  • Other possible items.

So ye, just a general idea of collecting items from existing items, maybe its not needed but I thought it'd be nice.

It has always bugged me that I can bust down a door for a plank or two, but I can't bust down that huge wooden table for anything useful. All they do in game is take up space and create a navigation obstacle.

It would be great if you could reclaim some scrap from every item you destroy.

+1 to the idea!

So, I couldn't find a thread about this though there probably is 1, but i'm thinking toward a few specific items.

• Water cooler: store lots of water in your safe house.

You just gave me an idea. Wherever you see those water coolers, there are always spare 3-to-5-gallon bottles in a back room or closet someplace.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/13296-water-cooler-bottles-in-offices/

I'm fairly certain we will see a Scavenge or Salvage skill in an upcoming build, or the ability rolled into other specific skills. For example, if you have Carpentry you could take apart existing wood objects like tables for resources. Mechanical maybe lets you take apart appliances.

The Foraging skill was originally named "Scavenging". Read into the re-naming what you will.