Is There a Way to Change # of Trait Points for All Players in a Server?

Wveth

Currently not possible to do by any easy method.. I would make this into suggestion post and maybe the devs will create this option.

However, this breaks the current way the game was made to be played. But an easy mode option for traits would be kind of cool.

I can already change the way the game was meant to be played very easily for single player.  I don't see why this should be any different.

Thank you for the answer though :)  I do hope the devs add in the option!

Guest Styxx42

Topic title.  I'm trying to ease my friend into Zomboid and I'd like to start us both off with extra trait points just to smooth things out a bit.  I can't figure out how to do this.  Help?

Not easy but here is how I do it on my home server  with my three other players.

As I play the way I want to play and not by how someone else wants me to play.

We all play as a part of a special forces team left behind.  NOT YOUR AVERAGE JOE.

We are THE A TEAM.

On all computers including the server.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\lua\client\OptionScreens\CharacterCreationProfession.lua

Line 44 ish I think.

function CharacterCreationProfession:create()

self.maletex = getTexture("media/ui/maleicon.png");
self.femaletex = getTexture("media/ui/femaleicon.png");

self.freeTraits = {};

self.pointToSpend = 0; <------ Change this to what ever you want all your players to start with.

local w = self.width * 0.5;
if (w < 768) then
w = 768;

ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR FILE BEFORE EDITING IT.

Guest Styxx42

Let it be known that this is a LUA edit and if others do not have the same edit they will be booted if checksum for LUA is enabled.

You got that from the name of the file or the directory?  ;)

Yes it is and it should boot the person if they don't have all the same files.

Hence the reason I said all computers need the same edit.

One other thing.

every time your system updates this file will be over written with original.

Also playing on line on servers will also be out.

Now you know.

I actually did know all this.  That's how I gave myself a few extra traits in SP.  I thought I had tried it for multiplayer on my own server but I guess I didn't?  I dunno.  Anyway, thanks for telling me what it turns out I already knew. :P  Evidently I needed a reminder! :D

This would be a nice thing to have in the server options.

Like give everyone an extra couple of points.

Would also be nice if we could modify what jobs are available and such in mp or add in custom ones without a mod to mp.

IE: MP Server:

Trait Options: +4 free trait points for unemployed +2 for all others. (Could be based on each job type.)

Disallowed Traits: all sleep effecting traits.

Free Trait: (All players get this free trait.)

Job Disabling Traits: (These traits will disable certain jobs. IE: Clumsy/Noisy type traits would disable the thief job.)

Custom Jobs: Could be put into an ini file and just uploaded on server join. These jobs are only visible on said server as the information would not need to be kept for other servers.

Custom Traits: Could also be the same but instead would be stored on client side to keep the information.

This would be a nice thing to have in the server options.

Like give everyone an extra couple of points.

Would also be nice if we could modify what jobs are available and such in mp or add in custom ones without a mod to mp.

IE: MP Server:

Trait Options: +4 free trait points for unemployed +2 for all others. (Could be based on each job type.)

Disallowed Traits: all sleep effecting traits.

Free Trait: (All players get this free trait.)

Job Disabling Traits: (These traits will disable certain jobs. IE: Clumsy/Noisy type traits would disable the thief job.)

Custom Jobs: Could be put into an ini file and just uploaded on server join. These jobs are only visible on said server as the information would not need to be kept for other servers.

Custom Traits: Could also be the same but instead would be stored on client side to keep the information.

I like this idea a lot. Would make characters more realistic and specialized and prevent people from trying to hard to 'game' the system to squeeze out more points while making characters easier to create. I know I spend forever trying to squeeze out as many points as I can in games like this XD