A Few 3D Models for Project Zomboid

WolfeClaw

I'm going to have a big re-organization of the OP download links soon, so I'm going to shut them off for a while until I do so. I'll still be showing off upcoming content though.

Like this brand new Smith & Wesson Model 19! Hoorah! Yay! Splendid!

A05aiP.png

Another lazy viewport shot. I'll do renders when I can.

EDIT:

Now with variants!

j7g9JG.png

OpngjY.png

This is awesome guys. IF you do a mod which add thoses new guns in-game, i'll definitely take it.

I've gotten to the point where I can replace the handgun within the game already with my pistol models, but it's not perfect yet and I'd really love a coder to help me with it. 

I'm sure soon enough there will be custom model support where we don't need to replace a pre-existing weapon, and when that day comes I will be a very happy man.

EDIT:

Ok, yeah. If any coder wants to step in and help me with getting these guns in a mod-ready format, I'm greatly appreciate it. Right now I'm focusing on both the Glock 23, S&W Model 19 variants, the shotgun and the sawn off shotgun.

Both handguns have icons ready:

sF31yQ.png838nm8.pngoqx2vH.png1eYcJ3.png

With shotgun icons soon to follow.

Of course, to get the models in-game they must replace the pre-existing handgun model, so only one handgun mod can be activated at a time. If this is all sorted out, as stated before I'll happily make a tutorial on how to install it properly, but right now I severely lack the coding knowledge when it comes to lua files and such. Any help is appreciated!  :D

sneeps

Actually, you can add three at a time. Because who uses poolcues anyways?

and or rolling pins.

replace those models / textures with that of your guns,

then just make a few new weapons that draws those sprites.

sneeps

Actually, you can add three at a time. Because who uses poolcues anyways?

and or rolling pins.

replace those models / textures with that of your guns,

then just make a few new weapons that draws those sprites.

I actually tried for 5 hours to get things working, but clearly I was meant for just 3D, not coding of any kind...  :blink:

The problems I had were getting the Model 19 revolver in-game whilst also having it make sense. ORMtnMan assigns his revolvers in his Real Guns mod as shotguns so that you can load rounds individually as you can in real life, but I have no idea how to do any of that, even after using his script as a reference point and your script as a base.

I got the Glock to replace the vanilla pistol, but is there not a way to have the mod automatically install the 'weapons_handgun' model file without doing it manually? I have it right now so that you install the mod, but then you also manually navigate and replace both the model and the model texture file.

Wait

Video tutorial coming soon for installing:

• Glock 27
  • Smith & Wesson Model 19 (3 variants)
  • Custom Shotgun
  • Sawn Shotgun

Waiih.. You're actually able to load additional models into the game more than its default?

Sorry to get your hopes up, I meant individually.  :D

One day.

I am not a tech savvy and you've probably already gone through the same process, but I'd still share some of my brainstorm.

I've looked through items.txd and found the parameter "WeaponSprite = Handgun,"

Then I searched for "handgun" and found "Objects_handgun" + "weapons_handgun.txd". inside "weapons_handgun.txd" I've also found a parameter

"# Model Name:

weapons_handgun"

What if, in theory, you copy-paste all of these files and make a new model name out of existing files. For example - weapons_handgun1, and change the "weapons_handgun" to "weapons_handgun1"? Would it, in theory, allow you to spawn a new weapon in items.txd that uses a different weapon sprite by specifying "WeaponSprite = Handgun1,"? Or should I just stick to suggesting baseless and impossible ideas, supporting it up with wall of text to make it seem reasonable?

I am not a tech savvy and you've probably already gone through the same process, but I'd still share some of my brainstorm.

Then I searched for "handgun" and found "Objects_handgun" + "weapons_handgun.txd". inside "weapons_handgun.txd" I've also found a parameter

"# Model Name:

weapons_handgun"

What if, in theory, you copy-paste all of these files and make a new model name out of existing files. For example - weapons_handgun1, and change the "weapons_handgun" to "weapons_handgun1"? Would it, in theory, allow you to spawn a new weapon in items.txd that uses a different weapon sprite by specifying "WeaponSprite = Handgun1,"? Or should I just stick to suggesting baseless and impossible ideas, supporting it up with wall of text to make it seem reasonable?

Unfortunately it's all hard-coded, so only files with specific names actually load (that's my understanding, at least). 

"# Model Name:

weapons_handgun"

I did that, to try, and WolfeClaw is right, I guess we need something to load the customs models, But I can't figure out how ( I'm in no way a coder T-T)

Yep. The only way right now to get the custom models in-game is to replace a pre-existing model, and also to take advantage of Jab's Import & Export script for Blender.

Sorry but i haven't been active in the zomboid moding for a very long time and i want to resume my "work". I know the sprites are hard-coded so you can only remplace the pre-exitent models same as textures. what i wanna know is what Jab's Import & Export script for Blender do. Is simply a easier way to do it. or it actually load the model without remplacing the in-game ones.

Thanks a lot!!

Yep. The only way right now to get the custom models in-game is to replace a pre-existing model, and also to take advantage of Jab's Import & Export script for Blender.

Sorry but i haven't been active in the zomboid moding for a very long time and i want to resume my "work". I know the sprites are hard-coded so you can only remplace the pre-exitent models same as textures. what i wanna know is what Jab's Import & Export script for Blender do. Is simply a easier way to do it. or it actually load the model without remplacing the in-game ones.

Thanks a lot!!

Jab would be better at explaining it, but here's my understanding of it:

It's currently the easiest way of getting a 3D model into Project Zomboid. You can use the import.txt in Jab's thread to import a model from the game (Project Zomboid > media > models > .txt files) into Blender. You can then use these to model something else to replace it, as well as get the scale and rotation matched up. You can then delete the imported PZ model and, with your custom model selected, you can use the export script to export your model into PZ's native .txt file.

The way it currently works means you can't have custom items with custom 3D models. You need to replace something that is already in the game (Poolcue, Baseball Bat, Shotgun, etc) otherwise it won't work. That's the basic rundown of it, but I suggest reading through Jab's thread here to get a better understanding of it.

Thanks a lot!!

It's currently the easiest way of getting a 3D model into Project Zomboid. You can use the import.txt in Jab's thread to import a model from the game (Project Zomboid > media > models > .txt files) into Blender. You can then use these to model something else to replace it, as well as get the scale and rotation matched up. You can then delete the imported PZ model and, with your custom model selected, you can use the export script to export your model into PZ's native .txt file.

The way it currently works means you can't have custom items with custom 3D models. You need to replace something that is already in the game (Poolcue, Baseball Bat, Shotgun, etc) otherwise it won't work. That's the basic rundown of it, but I suggest reading through Jab's thread here to get a better understanding of it.

OK! thank for the answer, i had figured out reading more related post. But thanks for confitming it. ;) i got two question for moders used to work with blender and jab's script:

-1º If i move the initial object or rotate in any direction y changing coordinates and it wont work, right?

-2º i have to unify all objects in one?

I have been testinga little bit (i dont have a lot of time right now) and it didnt work.

Thanks a lot!!

OK! thank for the answer, i had figured out reading more related post. But thanks for confitming it. ;) i got two question for moders used to work with blender and jab's script:

-1º If i move the initial object or rotate in any direction y changing coordinates and it wont work, right?

I have been testinga little bit (i dont have a lot of time right now) and it didnt work.

All meshes that make up your object must be merged into one, yes.

Also, when you've done that and your custom object has been rotated to match one in the game, you need to select your object in object mode then select Object > Apply > Rotation & Scale.

I'll try and make a quick video on it soon.

Thanks a lot!!

All meshes that make up your object must be merged into one, yes.

Also, when you've done that and your custom object has been rotated to match one in the game, you need to select your object in object mode then select Object > Apply > Rotation & Scale.

I'll try and make a quick video on it soon.

Thanks!! :) Im thinking in making a weapon mod.

I told you my idea to have another opinion:

- Spiker bat and plank has their own models and textures. I dont mind in changing this to the not spiked versions having 2 free models to use. And the same goes for the pool cue that can use the baseball bat. that leave 3 models to change without changing it for something ridiculous.

- So i will make an assault rifle working over the vanilla rifle (in the resolution that use the game putting a magazine and altering the grip i could be enougth)

- Another model easy to make could be a katana and i can take the measures easily from the pool cue.

- What i really dont know if it will be possible to upload a jacket model with a backpack with the name of a weapon model. Becouse a think that this, could make the game crash or perhaps dont work. I dont like to chage the clothing texture and see all fucking zombies wearing the same clothes as me. I would apreciate any info about this.

-My doubts are about the model i dont have any problen on spawning iteam along the world, changing the item sprite in inventory and changing stats. And there are a lot of mods to work over (with the corresponding gratitude to the creator) XP

EDIT: i got another question, i havent found a download for your models, are they released? it will be awsome to remplace the vanilla rifle, pistol, and shotguns for your! thanks!

Thanks!! :) Im thinking in making a weapon mod.

I told you my idea to have another opinion:

- Spiker bat and plank has their own models and textures. I dont mind in changing this to the not spiked versions having 2 free models to use. And the same goes for the pool cue that can use the baseball bat. that leave 3 models to change without changing it for something ridiculous.

- So i will make an assault rifle working over the vanilla rifle (in the resolution that use the game putting a magazine and altering the grip i could be enougth)

- Another model easy to make could be a katana and i can take the measures easily from the pool cue.

- What i really dont know if it will be possible to upload a jacket model with a backpack with the name of a weapon model. Becouse a think that this, could make the game crash or perhaps dont work. I dont like to chage the clothing texture and see all fucking zombies wearing the same clothes as me. I would apreciate any info about this.

-My doubts are about the model i dont have any problen on spawning iteam along the world, changing the item sprite in inventory and changing stats. And there are a lot of mods to work over (with the corresponding gratitude to the creator) XP

EDIT: i got another question, i havent found a download for your models, are they released? it will be awsome to remplace the vanilla rifle, pistol, and shotguns for your! thanks!

I plan to make a few tutorials and such on how to install them, as well as a tutorial on how to make models and use Jab's import/export script. I'll hopefully have time to do that today. Until then, I've gotten rid of the downloads. :)

To answer your clothing question, I think you have to load the male.txt mesh in first in order to get the rig from it, and then you load in the clothing, but I think I'm wrong. I'm also pretty sure that the zombies will also use any clothing that you mod in, since you're directly replacing the mesh.

In terms of adding bags and such, it sadly isn't possible. They'd require their own animations to look good, but I guess a workaround would be to model the bag directly onto the clothing, but that would probably cause a few clipping issues in-game.

In-game:

QtrO1O.jpg

Ugl5ME.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to have the guitar smaller than real-scale due to the small render dimensions of the game. The alternative to this would be to have the guitar full size, but when swung it would clip out part of the model, quite obviously so, as well.

Please increase the rendering area for weapon models, devs.  :P