RAM-Disk for PZ?

Dr_Cox1911

Hey all!

I´m currently reading about some improvements for my PZ server and one thing that came to my mind was a RAM-Disk to store the map in.

Anyone has tried this already and does it somehow boost the performance in conjunction with PZ? I never used a RAM-Disk before, so I´m kinda curious how I would best set it up to run with PZ.

This guy did:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/13226-build-301648hours-an-enigmatic-server/?p=166638

Quoting to increase chance of him seeing this post.

Nothing much to this: Renting a dedicated server through OVH, currently located in France (but quite playable from the East coast of North America). Map data is held on a RAM disk to try and alleviate performance issues.

The server was started on the 7th and will be reset on the 9th, baring catastrophe.
PVP is enabled. Loot/zombie respawn in 24 hours. Not whitelisted.

94.23.3.109 Port 16261

A few server owners have done this (It works wonders on pausing zombies)

Zeek's Haven has been doing this for a week or 2 now and the results are great! A lot less RAM needed as well. (On SSD we were seeing upwards of 10gb of RAM being used (34 players). With RAM disk, it halved it.)

No more slowdowns after 2 hours of uptime either.

[RAM Disk] is recommended!

Not to mention that using it will extend the life of your hard dive.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a look at this. This is tests on my computer.

rdisk.png

I've been using a RAM disk for a while now. However if you have slow Memory you'll probably cause a slow down of the entire computer.

Also if you overclock or do not have perfectly stable ram. You CAN corrupt your map files overtime. Black Squares. I recommend using ECC memory and/or any memory recovery settings in BIOS. So your memory doesn't develop errors after days of running. I cannot stress this enough because you do not want to corrupt your map.

A RAMDISK of 3GB should be more than enough. And use these start-up perimeters: -Xms1G -Xmx4G.

Using to much RAM for PZ can cause a slowdown of the entire system if you're using a RAMdisk also.

I recommend Soft Perfect RAM Disk. It's free and you can set it up to make automatic backups on your HDD. So you do not lose files if you restart your computer.

-Lastly: This is what works for me. it might not work for all. People my find different methods are better for them so don't just assume my method is perfect for you. I recommend this to Zeek a while back and he had lag. However i think he fixed it and continues to use it. I'm not sure.