Standalone multiplayer map

RedAegis

Is there anyway to make a standalone maps and have them work in multiplayer?

I am able to make a 10 x 10 cell map. Give it it's own folder, */media/maps/mymap and fill it with it's own lot files, description files, objects, spawns, etc and play perfectly fine in singleplayer, everything works perfectly.

When I setup the server and pick 'myname' as the "lots=" option in server.ini, the map loads, I'm able to spawn, but others get n "unknown" error. I transfer the map from its standalone state (which uses cell coords 1,1) to an offset of 26x26 on the Muldraugh map and everyone can spawn and play no problem.

My issue with this is the fact that I have to either place a HUGE 10x10cell zone to stop some of the zones that are already placed (got a lot of random forage zones on my map now because of the 26x26 offset)

Another issue is I either have to stop players from leaving my custom map by building over the water surrounding it and eventually making it back to the normal map of Muldraugh and West Point. Only way to stop this is to overwrite virtually all tiles on default PZ map to water. This map has barely any weapons, but if they could just build across the water and get to West Point for guns, come back and kill all the islanders, the server will die instantly.

Also, would it not be ideal to let the server use standalone maps? This would be less overhead perhaps, it would also keep zombies from spawning in parts of muldraugh and west point that the player wont even be able to see, ever.

Basically making this thread to ensure some things before I continue this map.

One of the errors from a client trying to join the standalone version:

java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
at zombie.iso.IsoMetaGrid.Create(IsoMetaGrid.java:830)
at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:1122)
at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.runInner(GameLoadingState.java:257)
at zombie.gameStates.GameLoadingState$1.run(GameLoadingState.java:195)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

I'm not entirely sure on all the steps on how to get a map working in MP, but you have to make it in a mod configuration and all the players need to have the mod installed.

I can clearly get a map working (if I replace parts of the default map with my own) and can host any number of players on said map without any downloading from the client (except at runtime)

My issue is I want the same exact thing to happen but without overwritting the default map with the custom map I have made. 

Why?:

-Don't want the server or clients to have to load 3 times more than my map is large

-Don't want clients moving off custom map into the default world

-Don't want to have to replace/eject every unused zone on the default map where my new map is situated.

-Don't want to replace said areas with water (this will take ages)

-Don't want to have to adjust the already made zombie map when I already have a zombie map made for this particular map.

-Don't want zombies in places people will never go (zombie... overspawn)

I do want:

A way for the server to pull ANY lot files from a custom folder that has its own files (objects, spawn, etc) and be able to project that to the clients. That way us map builders don't have to do extra credit work trying to overwrite stuff and messing with already completed LUAs (like muldraugh's objects.lau - hasn't been too fun)

I have completely made the map work in multiplayer. The issue is getting it to load by itself, from its own folder using it's own lot files. Instead of using Muldraugh folder, which is particularly useless when doing something like an island map. 

It might just be the fact that my top cell is (0,0) weren't there issues with the (0,0) (0,1) (1,0) (..,..) cells?

Will doing that method require others to have the mod as well?

Overwriting (/media/maps/Muldraugh, Ky/*.lot)
and
Having the map luas in its own folder allow the server to stream the map to the players without them downloading it as a mod.

(So my map works 100% this way, zones, spawns, and everyone can connect and see/interact with it)

But,

Won't setting the "MOD=" option in the server.ini require all connecting players to have said mods/maps to join? (This is an issue I wish to avoid) 

You're not going to avoid the need of people to have the mod or map installed on their system.

As I had stated - overwriting the *.lot files in the [/media/maps/Muldraugh, Ky] and starting your server, will allow all players to connect with a vanilla client and stream the changed map pieces. (I can turn on any of my custom map servers and show you just by giving the IP and port, no download, no mods required.)

Thinking more into it, this is what I believe is going on:

In server.ini we have the Lot= option which is defaulted to the Muldraugh folder. I have to change this to load it from a different folder (standalone)

When the player tries to connect to server, the server tells the client to load the .lot folder that it loaded for the map, thus creating the unknown error and kicking the user (actually it crashes the game)

Now when MY server's .lot files are changed but are still in the Muldraugh, KY folder, the server uses that folder which has the modified .lot files. The client connecting can connect just fine because they load the Muldraugh folder on their end, but when they enter the map it streams them my custom map.

Is there any reason I can run a server by overwriting the Muldraugh. Ky .lot files but not by loading it from it's own folder? 

Either way my maps work fine, I just really wanted to have them stand alone to stop my aforementioned reasons (Zombies spawning off the custom map, cells being loaded that the custom map doesn't include, zones I don't want, etc)

As said, distribute it as a mod. That's what that functionality is there for. Not sure if this is intentional: letting map mods be streamed from the server.

I hope it becomes intentional, It would be amazing not having to make all our members re-download all those .lot files everytime I make changes to the veg map or otherwise.

The functionality behind streaming the data is great. Saves bandwidth and allows the user to feel more inclined about playing the map as it's coming straight from the server and not in a zip with loads of instructions/ updates/ and errors.

Please consider it  :ph34r: