Map wont load.

luizgp

Question

Guys, I've trying to play the game with my friend using Steam to connect in a Public Server.

I've tried 64 bit mode, compatibility mode, put down all firewalls, take off steam overlay, everything I saw on forums, I really don't know what to do now. Do you guys know how to help me? :(

23 answers to this question

LOL didn't see that. The map wont load. It's like stucks me into a something x something square and it wont load anything else. Zombies keep coming, I keep low ping but not loading map.

I'll post a screenshot.

No, it happens with all servers, but in the prompt that opens with the game, theres no losing connection, and when I do ping IP on prompt it doesnt show any loss. It cant be my internet connection, right?

Still need help. I've already put down firewalls, anti-virus, windows firewall, router firewall, reinstalled. everything.

If it doesn't start loading again after 30 seconds, the map-specific side of the connection has timed out and you'll have to reconnect..

This might be one case where ping isn't being accurate for you.

How far away is the server you're trying to connect to? Some people have reported that low RAM on the server or a slow hard drive can cause this, as well.

A friend of mine is currently having this black map loading problem when he connects to my local hosted server.

My rig running the server is:

i7 2.8ghz

12gig RAM

NVIDIA GTX 460 (1gig)

6.0g/s Samsung EVO 850 SSD 540m/s write speed (83 gig available)

Windows 7 Pro

Network Speed Test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4220974512

Pings are reported on average to be about 40ms for players on the server. Everyone connects in the same geographical region.

All that I know about his rig is that he is running Windows XP and has 4 gigs of RAM and plays from the same network as another player who has zero loading problems. I can inquire to find out more info.

Do you have the server running on the default amount of RAM? Over time, it's generally not enough to keep up with the map.

I suppose I don't know. How do I check/adjust this?

I just assumed it would use the system's 12gigs

Open the bat file in NotePad (just right click it). You'll see an -Xmx2048m value. Set it to -Xmx6G

The server seems to keep all map data in memory until it's restarted, but that should take care of you for a few players. :P

Ok this is what I see:

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;trove-3.0.3.jar;uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer
PAUSE

I should change it to?:

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Xms2048m -Xmx6G -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;trove-3.0.3.jar;uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer
PAUSE

What does the 6G refer to?

Do you have the server running on the default amount of RAM? Over time, it's generally not enough to keep up with the map.

I suppose I don't know. How do I check/adjust this?

I just assumed it would use the system's 12gigs

Open the bat file in NotePad (just right click it). You'll see an -Xmx2048m value. Set it to -Xmx6G

The server seems to keep all map data in memory until it's restarted, but that should take care of you for a few players. :P

I don't suppose there is a way to auto-dump/refresh the map data without restarting the server?

6 Gigabytes.

Looks fine. :)

I have 12Gigs on my system, can I put it to 12G instead of 6G?

No. If you use the maximum available RAM on your system (which is going to be 12 GB - everythingCurrentlyRunning), Java will crash with an Out of Memory exception.

You can make it higher if you want, of course, just keep that in mind.

6 Gigabytes.

No. If you use the maximum available RAM on your system (which is going to be 12 GB - everythingCurrentlyRunning), Java will crash with an Out of Memory exception.

Ok great! Thanks for your help EnigmaGrey! I will test this out and let you know of the results. Unfortunately, we won't be playing again for a few days, but I am eager to see if this helped. I'll keep ya in the loop with the results!

About the server I don't know very much, but it's a local server, near from my town, and my friends around my country can play it good. I have very low ping, and suddenly it just stops loading. and I walk and places that was loaded desapear, so i get stuck in this chunk. but i still can see players, zombies, all kind of things.

People have had this problem when their antivirus or firewall blocks the map download.

Actually, the download port is tested when you first connect to the server, so the firewall probably isn't an issue.

Does this also count for People who get delayed loading of the Map parts? 1 Player seem to have an issue with this on my local Server. The others that played had no Problem.

6 Gigabytes.

We did some testing tonight.

I upped the server to 8 gig of RAM from your instructions. I also kept an eye on my systems % use of my CPU and RAM. I never went above 30% CPU and 40% RAM on my rig running the game and server.

Unfortunately, there did not seem to be any improvement for my friend. He and myself were the only players connected. He still encountered the black boxes that would not load. The first occurrence happened about 10 minutes after logging in when he encountered a horde of about 30-40 zeds (his screen resolution was set to 640x480 and 3D zombies were set to off).

The specs of his rig are:

Windows XP Pro SP3

2.6ghz AMD Athalon 64 x2 DualCore

3.25 Gig RAM

256mb Geforce 8500GT

Connected from the same network as his roommate who has zero problems with the game.

Obviously his system isn't top notch.

Is there any other suggestions that might work (other than buying him a new rig :P )?

Archived