Demnex

Oh yes and an item called "Weapon" would suffice too! :D

Very funny, but I get your point.

I just don't think that dwelling deeply into recreational drugs is necessary, I mean; do we need 5 kinds of booze? Personally I don't feel we do, but I realize some people may feel otherwise. 

Perhaps a middle ground with "light drugs" and "heavy drugs" would be fine with most of us?

Oh yes and an item called "Weapon" would suffice too! :D

Obviously there has to be a middle ground between realism and gameplay. Everything can't be exactly realistic, and some things shouldn't be even if they could be. The same reason that having specific names guns (like AK-47) and a dozen different calibers of ammo is a no, is the same reason you wouldn't need every kind of drug imaginable in the game.

And like I said before- for someone who always shoots for realism as hardcore as you do- you shouldn't want anything other than Marijuana in the game anyways. Because hard drugs just plain aren't found in tiny backwoods towns down south. In the mid-sized cities? Ya, a tiny bit. But only one in a million little towns has any kind of a drug problem. So, if it's realism you want, we should skip the hard drugs anyways.

I could see drugs begin labelled by scientific names like Hallucinogen. That in itself could cover quite a few specifically named drugs.

That's a clever idea that I could really get behind.

Now we just got to find out what the rest of them would be call xD.

Alright so I found:

• Narcotics (Think Heroin. Sleep-inducing properties)
  • Hallucinogens (Think LSD. Psychedelic perception, emotions, thoughts)
  • Cannabinoids (Think, if you weren't already, Cannabis. Repressive)
  • Empathogens (Think Ecstasy. Distinctive emotional and social effects, Empathetic oddly enough)

4 drug groups which cover over 20+ different individual drugs.

Narcotics- help sleep and reduce anxiety.

Hallucinogens- reduce anxiety and panic, lower sanity

Cannabinoids- reduce anxiety and panic, cause drowsiness and lowers perception

Empathogens- More influenced by anything regarding emotions. More happiness, panic, and anxiety both gained and lost.

Edit: Could tie into my sanity suggestions in this post: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1144-the-future-of-pz/

• Narcotics (Think Heroin. Sleep-inducing properties)
  • Hallucinogens (Think LSD. Psychedelic perception, emotions, thoughts)
  • Cannabinoids (Think, if you weren't already, Cannabis. Repressive)
  • Empathogens (Think Ecstasy. Distinctive emotional and social effects, Empathetic oddly enough)

4 drug groups which cover over 20+ different individual drugs.

Yeah, I like your idea! 

Well drugs could be very useful for trading (same as whiskey, chocolate, and luxury items). But I don't see any reason to go that deep into different types. 

I think a simple item called "Drugs" would suffice.

Oh yes and an item called "Weapon" would suffice too!  :D 

We don't have "shotgun" named "Remington 1100" or "pistol" with a name "beretta 92fs" with an ammo type named "115qr FMJ 9mm" :P

There is a line of realism which you shouldn't cross, unless you are targeting a "simulator" game. This is Zombie Survival RPG, so, you know. Having dozens of types of just "drugs" with many different names wouldn't work.

The game already has medicine with different effects, not just a single item called "medicine". It'd make sense to handle drugs the same way, as outlined by other people in a few previous posts. I would imagine additional alcoholic products, namely beer, will get handled like that too, once they're implemented. No brands, just items that represent the entire subcategory.

For me I like to keep things as minimal as possible, especially in this game. Having 4 drug groups (as mentioned above) or even less (narcotics and Hallucinogens to be precise) would be sufficient.

The game already include 3 types of "drugs" or "medicinal drugs" if you prefer; Painkillers, Anti-Depressants, and Sleeping Pills. So, for that, I don't see any need by having for example two different types of painkillers: Aspirin and Morphine. You get me?

Empathogens- More influenced by anything regarding emotions. More happiness, panic, and anxiety both gained and lost.

Edit: Could tie into my sanity suggestions in this post: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1144-the-future-of-pz/

Oh and lets not forget that people can get the munchies :P.

Why being specific? In my opinion, drugs would be a good "rare" resource for the game and gameplay, but why getting into detail that are the main source of the problem?

Just using terms that common uses as names and that would fix any kind of problem that the game could bring.

- Anti-Stress pills : Help against stress & anxiety, but add to tiredness of the player. 

- Adrenaline injection : Give a temporary boost in max weight, damages and speed.

- Syrup : Have a chance to remove any sickness except for zombification.

- Energy Drink : Give a temporary boost to speed and to the perception.

- Smokes : Help against stress but may make the player coughs which would be a source of noises.

- Coffee : Help temporary against tiredness and perception, but remove the ability to sleep as long as the effect last.

No need to jump over the fence and add specific narcotics and especially not in the vanilla version. It's all good in a mod as this is not part of the "official" version. Adding unneeded narcotics may bring a little 1% of reality, but also bring 50% more problem. It's as much of a problem as adding sex between survivors.

Why being specific? In my opinion, drugs would be a good "rare" resource for the game and gameplay, but why getting into detail that are the main source of the problem?

Just using terms that common uses as names and that would fix any kind of problem that the game could bring.

- Anti-Stress pills : Help against stress & anxiety, but add to tiredness of the player. 

- Adrenaline injection : Give a temporary boost in max weight, damages and speed.

- Syrup : Have a chance to remove any sickness except for zombification.

- Energy Drink : Give a temporary boost to speed and to the perception.

- Smokes : Help against stress but may make the player coughs which would be a source of noises.

- Coffee : Help temporary against tiredness and perception, but remove the ability to sleep as long as the effect last.

No need to jump over the fence and add specific narcotics and especially not in the vanilla version. It's all good in a mod as this is not part of the "official" version. Adding unneeded narcotics may bring a little 1% of reality, but also bring 50% more problem. It's as much of a problem as adding sex between survivors.

People weren't happy with 20+ drugs (too specific, like having specifically named weapons and ammo) and people weren't happy just having one universal 'drugs' item (not specific enough, like calling all weapons 'weapon'). So I just made a list inbetween of 4-5 drug groups and their neurological effects.

The specific wanted is actually illegal drugs, so coffee, smokes, energy drinks wont cut it in this instance. Their more or less a separate item entirely.