Project Ideas... My hometown sucks....

KinkyCode

Hello, Zomboiders and Survivors. My name is Kinky Code, and I come to you in hopes of discussing what my next big project will be...

You see, my developement PC is out of commision for a while, so I can't do any real pressing work and i the meantime I would like to keep my minds eye as vivid and excersised as possible, I am hoping I can turn to a game I have loved since it's early Desura days for a outlet.

So, here is my big questions....

I wan't to do a map, in hopes of creating a new large area, modeled after a real life location... But, I am cursious as to what would be practical and what would be unwise.

I am asking, because I will be using google-images to re-create a location, which I would like to have you all vote on. This will also be my first time working with the PZ Editors and tools, so expect intial updates to be slow, but I am a steady worker and once I put mind to work, I don't stop until it's perfect.

Before I go further I have some questions....

Large cities, such as Seattle, Chicago, New-York... Could these be done? Is there a limit to the number of stories a building can have? Design wise, what has been known to be more in the way than practical? Lastly, how many of you actually ENJOY extremely large maps, how often do they matter if you stay dug in at one location....

Thanks for all you read my wall of text, and thanks for all who answer.

• 3 weeks later...

In answer to your questions...

Large Cities : These in THEORY could be done, but looking at the amount of work that appears to have gone into even a small community like the New Denver map I imagine it would be a mountain for one person to tackle. There is a height limit of 8 levels also at the moment so true to life skyscrapers are out of the question. (Whch blows my first suggestion to you, I SOOOO want an Atlanta map...)

As large maps go, I personally LOVE them. However it is possible to do a very large map with no huge cities. 

Now for the suggestion : Savannah, Georgia. It is a large area but not over urbanized, with not a single skyscraper. Nice layout, the terrain is flat so you dont have to fool around with the headache of changing a hilly terrain to a flat one on your map, theres a river, plenty of parks and wilderness, and a army/air force base right in the middle of it. Would be happy to serve as an info source for you, I lived there for 14 years. Hell, since I am starting classes in programming soon I'd be happy to help do some of the grunt work in making it happen too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention being a historical city there are plenty of images available online, as well as plenty of opportunities for unique models, if thats your thing.