Views on recreational drug use

Jonientz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Keepbro 1) As luck would have it, we have examples of countries that have (partly) decriminalized drugs. This doesn't seem to result in an increase of drug related problems, in fact it seems to reduce it.

2) Comparing the use of drugs, (like, say, drinking a cup of coffee or a couple of beers,) to honor killings is ridiculous. 

^^

I like the sentiment but the problem is that you'll have people wondering why we can't also allow legalize other forbidden things such as dueling or revenge killing just for awhile to see if it also works.

...maybe just a few days...huehuehuehuehuehue

• 2 weeks later...

If I could make laws ide make booze illegal, Mary Jane all the way! Not one person has ever OD on that and me like others I'm sure may have tried to put that to the test. All other drugs can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. Mushrooms and cocaine I guess can all right as it's still nature mostly with out all those deadly chemicals. But that's the thing with pot let's say for example. You do have a lot of people against it as you do for it. But even if it was let legal not everyone is going to do it. Much like tobacco and booze. There legal and not everyone smokes or drinks. All that talk about pot being a gateway drug is old old properganda. Honestly if you want to say weed is a gateway drug is retarded. If anything tobacco should be the gateway drug. Most heavy drug users I'm sure smoke cigs, but this crap is not proven, it all comes down to the person. I for one was fine with just weed, that's all I will and ever will need.

@Keepbro 1) As luck would have it, we have examples of countries that have (partly) decriminalized drugs. This doesn't seem to result in an increase of drug related problems, in fact it seems to reduce it.

2) Comparing the use of drugs, (like, say, drinking a cup of coffee or a couple of beers,) to honor killings is ridiculous. 

It's really as simple as Marinus is saying, the facts are out there people, instead of relying on paranoia and feelings with no evidence to support what you're saying; look at the facts. Criminalizing drugs does not make a society more safe, in fact, it does the opposite. Anecdotal evidence is not good for making a convincing argument . . .

So your saying pot is going to break society down slowly into chaos, cuz many people will classify that as a drug. Booze is a drug too u know and there's many problems people have with that. But gather your evidence from more then one source, and if anything, think for yourself instead of merly repeating what you have been told or read. I haven't checked or read any reports yet. But I don't think Colorado and Washington are up shit creek cuz of the pot being legal now. If anything it puts the drug dealers out of business. And I would prefer getting it legal then from, criminals. Just pot though, all other drugs can stay illegal as far as I'm concerned.

All that talk about pot being a gateway drug is old old properganda./quote]

It's not. Drug dealers sell drugs. It is soooooo a gateway drug. My own experience went -

1.started smoking (and still do)

2. started smoking hashish and skunk

3. Started seriously clubbing and using E like it was going out of fashion (which it has done and god I feel old)

4. Started seriously working hard and partying hard so coke became the thing.

5. Realised just how silly I was when on drugs and grew the hell up. And saved a remarkable shit ton of cash.

All of these (except ciggies) were provided for by the same guy who I will not name but he was awesome. Now there is absolutely no way that you can tell me that weed is not a gateway drug because one guy provided all of the above and access to them.

The gateway drug hypothesis is nothing but a unsubstantiated belief system. There's no evidence whatsoever that it works that way, and it's not likely there ever will ever be any, because it's going to be very hard to prove or disprove it. Your personal anecdote also proves exactly nothing. Anecdotes never do.

Listen I can not speak for every person in this world, only for myself and close others the are in my life. I personally smoke pot, smoke cigs, and drink. I've been doing so for the past 10 years roughly maybe longer. Still I haven't had nor the urge for anything stronger. Again this is me and I'm sure plenty of people stick with pot or go for somthing better, but I can't see how it can start with weed. Everyone is different in the end and wants somthing different. I don't know who you are and what you do, maybe you did the things you did cuz you like to party anywhere, anytime maybe. I have a aunt like this. She's done pot as well as crack and meth. She just goes wherever the high is at I guess. As she has said she just likes to party. I like to party sure I'll bring a few joints with me and a 12pk of beer when I go over friends house, hell one of them does pills and smokes weed, plus drinking on top of that, dam! Again I'm good and allways will be for my pot. Sooooooo... I will say it again, it's what the person wants in the end. Like when I picked up smoking cigs. It's not like I said to myself one day I want to smoke! I was around people who did, same for weed or some hard drug. Most likely you were around people who did this your chances were a lot higher to give in, so far I've been good, just alittle self disapline is all you need.

The gateway drug hypothesis is nothing but a unsubstantiated belief system. There's no evidence whatsoever that it works that way, and it's not likely there ever will ever be any, because it's going to be very hard to prove or disprove it. Your personal anecdote also proves exactly nothing. Anecdotes never do.

What? Because drug dealers like to talk to people asking questions about drug habits? And why does my personal anecdote prove exactly nothhing? I think it proves that I wouldn't have done Shrooms, Ecstasy, Acid, Mandy and Coke without having known the guy. And I only knew the guy because I was introduced to him with the SOLE purpose of buying skunk from him!

Weed lowers peoples natural inhibitions against experimention. Skunk is usually the first drug tried because it won't get you a trip to casualty from an OD (although first time highs can be pretty rough on people). Once its been done for a few months then people are more inclined to try something a little more fun.

How is it NOT a gateway drug? It SO is. 

What? Because drug dealers like to talk to people asking questions about drug habits? And why does my personal anecdote prove exactly nothhing? I think it proves that I wouldn't have done Shrooms, Ecstasy, Acid, Mandy and Coke without having known the guy. And I only knew the guy because I was introduced to him with the SOLE purpose of buying skunk from him!

Weed lowers peoples natural inhibitions against experimention. Skunk is usually the first drug tried because it won't get you a trip to casualty from an OD (although first time highs can be pretty rough on people). Once its been done for a few months then people are more inclined to try something a little more fun.

How is it NOT a gateway drug? It SO is. 

As the bold print speaks for itself, you would have never done it if you did not know the guy, exactly. But that's only the half of it, You make that final choice whether you want it or not. That's a given plain and simple. You chose to take those other drugs, why cant anyone ever look at them selves to blame before blaming everything else in this world for their actions. But i can't comment honestly on anything you have done in your past, i was not there and have no idea how you were raised, choices you have made and thoughts in your head. But just because you feel the weed is to blame does not make any sense. How come for all the years ive smoked pot, ive never wants got involved with harder drugs of any sort even know "the guy" i got the pot from indeed sold more then just weed. Yes he offered me countless times if i wanted coke or some sort of pain pill and i always denied, but said thanks anyways & did that a few times while i was smoking with the guy. So maybe their is something more in the midst then we can fully understand as to why we do the things we do. Like i said i for one, am strong willed and have always had a code i lived by and it just so happens one of the codes was, only weed nothing more. The best part is i never had to try these hard drugs and rip my life apart for me to learn my lesson, i just watched others do it and said "well im not doing that" Wisdom my friend wisdom.

I'm not blaming anyone at all. I completely accept responsibility for my actions. All through this frickin thread I have at no time tried to dodge bullets. What I won't do is accept facts that are not true. I am happy to share the examples of my life with people and of course I understand that its unverifiable but the fact remains Weed is a gateway drug.

Once people experiment with weed they are much more likely to try something else. They metaphorically dip their toe into the pool of drug usage, find it fine and try something else. Of course it doesn't apply to everyone because nothing these days does and if drug usage has taught me anything its that people on drugs are crazy (sometimes crazy fun, sometimes crazy bad, sometimes crazy sexy YAY, sometimes crazy sad and sometimes crazy just lie on the couch watching shit movies and it doesnt matter what drug you are talking about they all take you out of yourself in some dimension of character).

Maybe Ontogenesis can back me up here - I am betting that a lot of drug addicts started smoking first then moved onto weed then on to whatever they got addicted.

Actually maybe its cigarettes that are the gateway drug??

When I was a kid my parents left me home alone sometimes (obviously). One time in particular, I was so desperate to 'steal a cookie from the cookie jar' that I ate a boulian cube thinking it was 'forbidden' candy.

I am a cigarette smoker and a marijuana smoker (without pride). I would say I have a personality that makes me long for the wrong, even if it ends in concentrated chicken flavor cubes. My point being 'gateway' is a silly term, in my estimation, for drugs or tobacco. One who seeks one tends to seek the other is all, without a linear progression (have done several drugs at various times of my life).

As far as the idea, Is it ok to do drugs recreationally, I would say only this; Is the best version of yourself a drug addict? Being honest with yourself, the answer is likely 'no'. No logical upside to most drugs/addictions, or measurable benefit to your life. This as a drug addict.

THis, 'nuff said. No evidence to prove all of y'all unsubstantiated opinions. It's just not true, and being a drug addict does not suddenly make you a medical or sociological expert.  The statistics and facts are already in. Marijuana is not a gateway drug, and you can even check the sources I cited earlier. All notions of it being a gateway drug is complete and utter horse sniff.