All things wood

Suomiboi

This thread is for suggestions/conversation regarding the carpentry skill and what suggestions/ideas you guys would have in regards of building with wooden materials. Now this is primarily for stuff that could/would/should possibly be added to vanilla so keep it simple, keep it non-stupid ;).

I'll start with the suggestion I made in the mod ideas section:

Door latches:

This idea popped in my mind as I was barricading one of my safe house exits and didn't really want to do it because I would be essentially going to deny my way out from that direction.

So the idea is wooden door latches that could be built on the inside of doors and would allow you to open them from the inside only.

something that would look like this:

1482273-xs.jpg

You'd need 2-3 wooden planks and 2-4 nails to build it. It would reinforce the door as much as a normal barricade and the one plank would be removable (when opening). This could also be the only way you could lock a self made door. Now atm doors open south and east? directions so all doors wouldn't work "realistically". so that's why there could be three vertical "bars" one on each side of the door and one on the door, then you'd just place the last plank as a barricade between the bars. This way if the door opens outwards NPCs aren't able to pull it open and it's also harder for the zombies to push it in.

Now I think this goes above my mod making skills for now so that's why I put it as a suggestion if someone more experienced in coding could make this happen. I wouldn't mind it in vanilla but I decided to approach it this way...

I've got some clydes stashed in my crib that I could share with ya fellas... Here's a taste: (clyde)

Wooden dowels used as replacement for nails suggested and modded by Onkeen:

For suggestions regarding dowels:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1043-les-chevilles-de-bois-carpentry-suggestion/?p=15616

Onkeen already made a mod for it and it can be downloaded here:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1091-handmade-wooden-dowels-realistic-nails-alternative/?p=16375

Pz-Mods link:

http://pz-mods.net/weapons-items/WoodenDowels/

Wooden flower pots for small size (indoor) farming suggested by willow512:

Taking farming inside

maybe have the same items required to build as the water barrel or the crate plus the soil:

2-4 planks

2-4 nails

(1 bag of fertilizer ?)

1 bag of soil as from v.2.9.9.19 onwards

keep hammer

carpentry level 2

Wooden craftable items (recipe type things):

Please comment if you disagree with the amounts or items required in crafting

Wooden bucket suggested by kinyoshi:

2-3 planks

3-4 nails

keep hammer

keep saw

Carpentry level 2-3

Wooden spear suggested by Rathlord:

1 Sturdy stick/Plank

keep KittenKnife/Axe

Wooden Club

1 Log

keep KittenKnife/Axe

Similar to baseball bat, but with a shorter reach, lower damage and slightly higher durability.

one-handed

Wooden Baton Suggested by Walther

1 Log

keep KittenKnife/Axe

Carpentry level 2

one handed weapon

Baseball Bat

1 Log

keep KittenKnife/Axe

keep Sandpaper/File (new items for balance ?)

Carpentry level 4

Axe handle

1 Log

keep KittenKnife/Axe

keep Sandpaper/File

Carpentry level 2

Sheetrope ladder suggested by Leolvanov + regular wooden ladder:

Sheetrope ladder:

Original suggestion can be found here

For one piece you would need:

2-3 nails

1 sheetrope

4 sturdy sticks

keep hammer

Idea instantly struck my head - Adding vertical stairs. To craft 1 piece of it you could use a hammer, 2-3 nails, sheetrope and 4 sturdy sticks. Then add up piece by piece depending on what floor you are at. (Meaning you'd have to use up 4-6 nails, 2 sheetropes and 8 sturdy sticks to climb up on second floor, etc)

Basically, there can be also added pros and cons to the new vertical stairs idea.

Pros :

Character doesn't have to be -strong- to climb up ladder, unlike when climbing a rope.

Cons :

Uses more resources to build up, compared to sheetrope.

Ladder:

A simple but sturdy buildable ladder to the next floor.

4-6 planks

keep hammer

Shutters suggested by D_Malachi:

Buildable object that would work similar to the sheet curtains but with extra defence

4 planks

2-4 hinges

keep hammer

Compost bin

A compost to throw away your rotting food to use as fertilizer for plants.

4 planks

2-4 nails

keep hammer

1 bag for holding the rotting food

at least 3 food items before the composting process will start

Result would be a bag of fertilizer or compost, however you'd like to call it. The wooden container could slowly disintegrate through years of use. Could work with wheelie bins also.

If any ideas poop in your head feel free to share. Ideas deemed good enough by me or the overwhelming support of the community will be added to OP. Discussion/constructive criticism is encouraged but be nice! :)

What would you build if a zombocalypse came-a-knocking on your wooden little door?

wooden bowels, buckets, cooking bucket.

You mean wooden bowls? Buckets why not but what's a cooking bucket? :D

Edit:added craftable (recipe) items to OP

Ha, I didn't even notice what I wrote until now. :-D

Cooking bucket would be a wooden pot or pan.

Ok, well I don't think wood would really be a good material in regards of cooking as it isn't a good heat conductor. And has the annoying thing that it tends to burn... Bowls would be nice but I don't know with what equipment you could really do it with IRL... If you'd do it from a log it'd take hell of a long time to sculpt it and well a plank is quite flat.

One word: Trapdoors!

Could you possibly elaborate on that? What kind of trapdoors did you have in mind? Would you just fall through or have some kind of a ladder or maybe a sheet rope to get up/down... Rathlord suggested attics in his über all containing thread that would have a drop-down ladder. Something similar maybe? I like the idea but I think it should be refined...

Edit: added recipe suggestion for farming pots.

Wooden bowls are a bit impractical as they either take very specific hand tools or are carved on a spinning machine (not sure what its called, but it's basically a big lathe).

What about a basic, carved wooden spear made from a plank? You'd need a knife to carve it, and it would just be a low durability weapon that gives a bit of extra range at the cost of attack width.

I like this suggestion. The crafting system is one of the things that really drew me into this game and its been a bit neglected (with good reason) lately.

You absolutely can make cups and bowls without a carving axe or a crook knife, the result just isn't very pretty. Both can also be made from bark.

Edit: obv you will still need to have some sort of woodcarving tool, such as a knife or a small axe. Or use the ember method.

I'd rather sharpen the spear from the sturdy stick we already have in game, but yea definitely spears are good. It would require a bit more doing than just getting it straight from the plank. Or what do you think?

Edit: added spear to OP under craftable items

• 2 months later...

Bit of a necro, but...

Wooden shutters, as a replacement for curtains when you finally decide to head deep into the woods and there's not a sheet to be found. Acts as a curtain to block vision both ways, likely more durable than a glass window (though easier to open from the outside, unless barricaded or locked with an above-mentioned "door latch"). Would also insulate against heat and cold, assuming that becomes a part of the season/weather system later.

Functional, would save time and effort to the player in that they don't need to fully barricade a window to completely block sight with one of these, nor would they need to remove all of those barricade boards to make a quick escape if/when a horde marches on their shack.

Yeah, I thought I remembered her saying something about them. I just wasn't sure what it was exactly. It would be great if they'd work in W P too.

Added wooden club to OP

I don't see how a wooden club would have more durability than a baseball bat? and lower damage? technically one could make a baseball bat out of a nice piece of wood. same form, same length, etc.

If it is a club, like an oldschool baton, then sure, lower range but you can always make more... slap a little leather or ducttape on it as a grip and you have yourself a neat improvised weapon

The reason a baseball bat isn't durable is because of it's length (42"max) and thickness (2.61"max). I meant the club as a rough thick plump like you see with cavemen :P

I was thinking something in the lines of this:

wood_club.png

The shorter and thicker the club the sturdier it will be and also faster to carve.

The reason a baseball bat isn't durable is because of it's length (42"max) and thickness (2.61"max). I meant the club as a rough thick plump like you see with cavemen :P

I was thinking something in the lines of this:

wood_club.png

The shorter and thicker the club the sturdier it will be and also faster to carve.

I'd love me something like this:

riot-wooden-batonb.jpg

please ignore the link pic, i just googlefu'd wood baton

A little mor work for the carpenter, maybe the next craftable level or something... would you say your rudimentary club is a one-handed weapon?

All right, yes I agree a baton would be a nice thing for more crafty guys. I'll add that to the list. Yes, the club would be a one handed weapon. Do you think that the baton should be made of a log, a plank or a sturdy stick?

I'd like to add that it would be great having these kinds of weapons added to the game in general, mainly because they would be renewable. You'd be able to survive in the woods carving up some sticks and logs to make yourself the essentials for an ok defence.

All right, yes I agree a baton would be a nice thing for more crafty guys. I'll add that to the list. Yes, the club would be a one handed weapon. Do you think that the baton should be made of a log, a plank or a sturdy stick?

I'd like to add that it would be great having these kinds of weapons added to the game in general, mainly because they would be renewable. You'd be able to survive in the woods carving up some sticks and logs to make yourself the essentials for an ok defence.

sounds good to me. I'd say a baton needs to be made from a log or a plank. depends on the plank. but if in question, I'd say a log. just to stress that a baton is a higher level of renewable weapon.

EDIT: maybe the char should need more tools to make a weapon like this... obviously you need a saw but with what basic tool could you make a baton like this? you would need a good file to make the squared timber into baton.

maybe we could make 4 squared timbers from one log. or how many planks do we get from one? so that it is fair and balanced. then you'd have to spend a good amount if time rasping it down with a file into a baton

Draw Bridge

* Door Frame

* Door (1.5x components for stability) + 2 sheet ropes + 1 sandbag + 1 wood rod

You put the hinges on the bottom and pull the sheets from the top of the door.  The sandbag is a counter weight.

Crossbar - similar to a wood latch but a bit more meaty.

4 nails, 2 planks

Door-with-Barricade-Bolt-3790000.jpg

You can then get the benefit of any wooden "plank" acting as a barricade.  Players can put up to four crossbars on a door.  Players could still barricade the door from the outside too!

Security Bar

4 nails, 2 planks, one wooden pole

Murder Hole

Floor construction materials as is.  Have the ability to right click on the hole and have the game prompt you with "Drop X".  You could then pick one from a list of items in you inventory to drop down the hole: Bowl of soup, a nail... nail log, sandbag!  The higher up and larger the mass (or pointy value) the more damage they take.