Inventory UI experiment - code dump

blindcoder

Hey, I'd use it...

Me, too, that's why I started it.

If you manage to make it square/grid based (Think - Neo Scavenger) and translate the "weight" into how much grids/squares a single item takes, I'm totally sold <3

I don't think so. PZ inventory system just doesn't lend itself to that.

Neat :D is it like a 'hotbar' kinda thing for oft used thingies? :)

I have no idea where I'm going with this at the moment. Right now it's showing the players inventory and I was thinking to make it an actual replacement for the current inventory and loot windows (I find them quite cumbersome, tbh).

Is it wrong of me to say I think I'd find this even more confusing?  :-D

Looks great though!

To each their own :-)

I have no idea if it's a good idea, either, but I'm willing to give it a try. It's inspired by both The Long Dark and ZombiU, but you probably couldn't tell from looking at it.

don't get me wrong, it looks neater and more organised.. I just wouldn't know what the bloody hell to do with it..  ;-)

don't get me wrong, it looks neater and more organised.. I just wouldn't know what the bloody hell to do with it..  ;-)

Imagine a second window like it to the right and it being your new inventory/loot screen.

I have no idea if it's a good UI, or even a good idea, tbh, but I want to play around with PZs UI widgets and this seemed like as good a place as any.

I think it's little bit to big but if u make it smaller that can be really good. Anyways look nice, i'd like try it^^

Thanks! :-)

Smaller in what regard? The basic idea was to fill almost the entire screen because, seriously, how much of the world around you do you see when looking through your backpack/the fridge/crates?

I'm open to any and all suggestions here, seriously.

I'm currently looking through the code handling the inventory and the context menu and somewhat despairing. There's very little to no abstraction in there. Simply checking if an item is a weapon and can be equipped is hardcoded into ISInventoryPaneContextMenu.lua. All this makes it really difficult at the moment.

I like the idea of having a huge window because the character has its focus on its inventory and can't see the world around, that's very good.

The first thing that hits me tho is the "unstacked" items, like those 4 berries & 4 apples : a pack of 20 cigarets would quickly become Hell in your inventory, not to mention opening a pack of seeds ;o. I think "stacking items" is a necessary feature for people's sanity.

I love the fact icons are bigger and "text description" of the items become secondary. That's more graphical and the inventory becomes easier to "read".

I'd like the grid system Leo mentionned, but yeah I guess that's not compatible with the encumbrance system and packing skills (even tho having more packing skills could mean having a larger grid ^^). But what I'd like to see is some kind of "more classic" RPG inventory mechanics, placing your weapons and clothes on some kind of character representation***, because having your presently equipped clothes and weapons still showing up in your inventory list makes things pretty messy, and it's an OCD nightmare not to be able to put items in the order you want.

*** you could use the already drawn character from the health-pannel for the inventory, and add boxes around it for equipped items : feet/legs/torso/hands/head/face for clothes, a back-pack slot, and both hand slots.

Also, I'm not sure that's the right thread to talk about this, but it's UI & Inventory related so I'll bring it up :
Our characters shouldn't be "container omniscient". As soon as we open an unknown container (or a bag), we're able to know exactly what's in it. But looting and finding interesting stuff should take some time : I'd like a gradual timed action for looking through containers [Just like foraging], which means players in danger/in a hurry would probably miss some good stuff that a meticulous player wouldn't. Adding a lot of useless crap to the containers would be cool as well, so it becomes harder to find the valuable loot. It would also allow late comers to find some interesting stuff on multiplayer servers. (and respawning loot, for servers with that option, could be put at the very end of the timed action, like it was an item hidden in the bottom of a cupboard/drawer)

And secondly, player's bags : it's easier to unpack something on the top of your bag than something at its bottom, hidding behind all your crap. So, it would be nice that items in your bag be sorted chronologically, items on top of the list would be easy and quick to unpack, but item at the bottom of the list (so at the bottom of the bag) should be a pain in the ass to unpack. That would force the players to organize their bag(s) with some logic if they want a quick access to X or Y item.

I like the idea of having a huge window because the character has its focus on its inventory and can't see the world around, that's very good.

The first thing that hits me tho is the "unstacked" items, like those 4 berries & 4 apples : a pack of 20 cigarets would quickly become Hell in your inventory, not to mention opening a pack of seeds ;o. I think "stacking items" is a necessary feature for people's sanity.

I love the fact icons are bigger and "text description" of the items become secondary. That's more graphical and the inventory becomes easier to "read".

I'd like the grid system Leo mentionned, but yeah I guess that's not compatible with the encumbrance system and packing skills (even tho having more packing skills could mean having a larger grid ^^). But what I'd like to see is some kind of "more classic" RPG inventory mechanics, placing your weapons and clothes on some kind of character representation***, because having your presently equipped clothes and weapons still showing up in your inventory list makes things pretty messy, and it's an OCD nightmare not to be able to put items in the order you want.

*** you could use the already drawn character from the health-pannel for the inventory, and add boxes around it for equipped items : feet/legs/torso/hands/head/face for clothes, a back-pack slot, and both hand slots.

Oh, right, I totally didn't think about cigarettes and seeds. You are right about those, of course. That would certainly need collapsing/extending as it does now. I guess a little plus/minus sign would suffice here.

I also like your idea of the RPG-style equipment screen.

All that being said, I have no idea how far I'll take this. The equipment handling right now is a maze, the context menu handling is even worse and I'm sure I'm gonna have nightmares about both of them. I really enjoyed creating the dirtywater and tiny_avc mods, but this mod is not bringing me the joy I hoped it would.

Anyway, if push comes to shove I'll definately upload any code I've created until then under the FreeForAll mod license so anyone can then continue with it.

Also, I'm not sure that's the right thread to talk about this, but it's UI & Inventory related so I'll bring it up :

Our characters shouldn't be "container omniscient". As soon as we open an unknown container (or a bag), we're able to know exactly what's in it. But looting and finding interesting stuff should take some time : I'd like a gradual timed action for looking through containers [Just like foraging], which means players in danger/in a hurry would probably miss some good stuff that a meticulous player wouldn't. Adding a lot of useless crap to the containers would be cool as well, so it becomes harder to find the valuable loot. It would also allow late comers to find some interesting stuff on multiplayer servers. (and respawning loot, for servers with that option, could be put at the very end of the timed action, like it was an item hidden in the bottom of a cupboard/drawer)

And secondly, player's bags : it's easier to unpack something on the top of your bag than something at its bottom, hidding behind all your crap. So, it would be nice that items in your bag be sorted chronologically, items on top of the list would be easy and quick to unpack, but item at the bottom of the list (so at the bottom of the bag) should be a pain in the ass to unpack. That would force the players to organize their bag(s) with some logic if they want a quick access to X or Y item.

Totally like the idea (it's done that way the long dark and iirc also in zombiu), but this isn't the place to talk about it.

It still takes time for the player to look through the list, though.

Alright, I have added the loot window, but don't think I'll develop this any further. Just lacking the motivation to go throguh the ISInventory*.lua files to fully go ahead with this.

If anyone wants to pick up where I left with this, I have put the code in the first post along with the latest screenshot.

Please consider this code under the free-for-all license and if anyone picks it up, please drop me a line when you have something to show :-)

Interesting idea.

But the stacking items could be a problem.

Besides, I think PZ more needs a independent inventory tab,to put frequently used items (weapons,bandages and waters etc). This tab is not a backpack, so it has no capacity increase to the characters' capacity limit. It simply gives players convenience on using a item or changing condition of a item ( for example, the fire mode of a fire arm). It could be lay on the bottom of the screen, like MC.

I would love to see the option for a grid inventory system.

Too much diablo style game playing makes me love them.

Otherwise I would love to be able to make custom tabs for my inventory that count towards your base limit. (IE: Only show these items that I want to look at specifically)

IE:

Weapons, Tools, Edible, Misc (Where misc could be separated into further options if I wanted as in misc-medical misc-supplies etc.)

It would be nice if I could organize Backpacks and bags into the same categories.

Would also be nice to get a hotbar where we could drag items that are always in our inventory to it for quick equip and for seeing how much we have left.