Descriptions For Items

Fortport

I'll try to explain this as quickly, and in a non-pushy way. Best as I can. :geek:

I'll use Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead as a prime example. In that game, whenever I found some misc. item.. I was interested: I could get a description of the thing by examining it; this was useful, there might be something hinting what it could be used for! I could look at pills, and get a detailed idea of what it does to my body.

Maybe you could be looting a house in Project Zomboid, and you're a new player. You find a trashbag, and when you right click it, you get a description popup next to all the options, or something similar. "A common household item for storing garbage. Nowadays it's probably more useful for carrying stuff."

Since you're new, you had no idea initially if this was even useful. Of course it's a given that it's a bag, but what if you find a misc. object, like a paperclip? "Often used in an office to hold several sheets of paper together. Could be useful for organizing notes. Easy to bend, and it's metal.. you could probably do some more things with it."

This gives much-needed fluff, and an idea of how the game wants the item to be used. (fedora) Sorry if this's been suggested before; no doubt it might be that way.

I am one who likes more information rather than less. When I started, I didn't know silverware was useable as a weapon...I was used to Skyrim's system of useless, collectible items, and assumed these were only there for looks. I didn't know until this playthrough that paperclips were implemented for fishing. I thought they were an ambiance item. Any sort of mundane description with at least a vague clue about their intent might be good for players - especially novices. 

"Spoons - great for Nutella*, and mediocre for zombie temples!"

*product placement not likely.