Feedback on the new Trait System

Moose65

Insomnia (fatigue recharge when asleep very very low. Will likely wake up tired)

IG it doesn't have this name, It's something else, but I forgot what.

I think police officer should have +1 sprinting as they used to ''chase'' on foot  criminals in some situations.

I had some suggestions for traits.

Completely Deaf: +X points ( Unable to hear anything even events, except the game music.)

Blind:: +X points Unable to see, of course the price would give a lot of points as it removes a major sense for survival. (Cane and sticks would come handy to the blind character to detect obstacles in front of him/her)

Ageusia: +X points Lost of taste, unable to xp cooking through eating.

Colorblind:+X points You can't see colors of the map/background as playing this character. ( I don't actually know what the colorblinds people really see but.. probably grey, white, black ?)

Mute: +X points: You can't speak in local chat (Mostly for RP, but still could be a bit troublesome for general players. Should add a ''action'' command like /me actionhere if added. so the action is appears locally for potential RP. And hooray for the writable notepads and paper))

Moody: +X points prone to be suddenly slow/stop at what she/he was doing and goes in his mind and creates scenarios in his/her head.

Hyperactive: -+ points Would get quickly bored while doing nothing but in the other hand, is faster in general.

Lazy: +X points Slower at everything in general

Active: -X points Faster at everything in general

I may add more in the future.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Insomnia (fatigue recharge when asleep very very low. Will likely wake up tired)

IG it doesn't have this name, It's something else, but I forgot what.

It's something like restless sleeper or something, I can't remember. Will did a pass and renamed a few of them :) stuff RJ put into the IWBUMS patch notes was what I told the internal test team long before the overhaul was finished so some of it is out of date.

OK here is my feedback after some play:

Occupations:

Park Ranger: dunno why it cost so much, skills are good but then -4 points seems like too much. perhapse 0 or -2 ?

Security Guard: IMO -2 is also too much. All major crafting occupations have +2 cost and when we compare them to this it dosne seems right. make it +2 or +4.

Burglar cost -6 is as high as Veteran, higher then Police Officer and IMO offers less than those jobs.

(do i whine too much about occupations cost ?? :D)

Repairman vs Construction worker both have 1 point in carpentry then we have 3 blunt weapon aiming + 2 skill points vs 2 for maintenance in blunt and axe. Dont know anyone that would pick Repairman over Construction Worker.

Traits:

Fast and slow reader are meh right now as we speed up time or afk when reading anyway. How about add/reduce xp bonus from books  like x4 XP or x2 instead of x3.

Gymanst: IMO cost too much for what it offers.

Light Eater and Low thirst: again i dont know why they have different values.

Same thing with the Hearty appetite and High Thirst +2 and +6 seems weird. Make them both +4 ?

General Trait and Occupations things:

I miss simple traits for cooking, aiming and reloading, some more +1 for guard and maintenance skills.

Keys:

Is there a way to duplicate keys ? Like i have nice safehouse and i want to give extra copy to teammates.

Water:

Love it ! Does bleach purify water ? or it was removed and only boiling water makes it clean ?

Made some balancing for the 31.1, should be out today, still fixing/balancing bit more stuff :)

Hey RJ, while your here, could you check fast learner? I tried it out and I was getting no XP boosts from it with foraging (or if I was it was so little to be negligible). How much of a boost is it suppose to be btw?

Yup, but it's not the right thread to ask this :D

Made some balancing for the 31.1, should be out today, still fixing/balancing bit more stuff :)

Hey RJ, while your here, could you check fast learner? I tried it out and I was getting no XP boosts from it with foraging (or if I was it was so little to be negligible). How much of a boost is it suppose to be btw?

Looks good to me, it's *1.3 tho, so you may not notice it everytime you gain a xp point :)

Looks good to me, it's *1.3 tho, so you may not notice it everytime you gain a xp point :)

That explains why I was getting 3 xp per stone foraged......so I would only see an extra 1 xp every 3rd or 4th stone foraged.........pretty steep for 6 points, but I guess it could add up.

That explains why I was getting 3 xp per stone foraged......so I would only see an extra 1 xp every 3rd or 4th stone foraged.........pretty steep for 6 points, but I guess it could add up.

Haha, for foraging maybe, but think about it's +30% on EVERY skill EVERY time :D

• 4 weeks later...

Restless sleeper could use a adjustment...I'm a restless sleeper in real life and can work 8 to 10 hour days without being dead tired. Also sleeping pills should help with restless sleeping....at least it does with me, I take them when I know I'm going to have to work a 12-14 hour day.

Made the mistake of picking disorganised today. Basically if you don't know all fixed containers will have a value of 35 instead of 50 and all bags loose 30% of there carrying capacity.

I would rather see a complete wiki than a new patch at the moment.

I even uodated the wiki myself to tell other players

Made the mistake of picking disorganised today. Basically if you don't know all fixed containers will have a value of 35 instead of 50 and all bags loose 30% of there carrying capacity.

TIS don't maintain the Wiki, only provide free hosting and software support. It's community run. It's always in need of love, feel free to jump on and edit :)

Edited by kirrus
s/support/love. Flows better. ;)

Héhé, this is the main point of any "wiki" ^^ Wikis are community encyclopedias created and updated by everyone.

Edit : ninja'd

Part of the problem is the fact that most people have no idea what or how exactly some things are suppose to work. The fact that this is still an alpha makes trying to update the wiki a headache, especially when we lack specific information to update it.

I don't like new system with negative exp rate ( x0.25 )if you don't invest any points in it.

It's good with most skills but some skills don't require special knowledge to learn them at normal speed.

This negative exp rate should be removed in melee weapons skills  at least.

I don't like new system with negative exp rate ( x0.25 )if you don't invest any points in it.

It's good with most skills but some skills don't require special knowledge to learn them at normal speed.

This negative exp rate should be removed in melee weapons skills  at least.

No. You can design your character and if you choose not to invest in melee skills, you get to suffer for that choice, like everyone else.

The whole point is that it's hard (if not impossible, in a practical sense), to grind your skills up. It's a subtle message that you shouldn't even bother trying to actively grind it . . .

Don't like it? Sandbox.

I just think that no knowledge in carpentry and no knowledge in melee combat skills for example is different thing.

So negative exp rate should be different, maybe x0,25 for complicated skills like carpentry, farming, first aid and x0,50 - 0,75 for simple skills that you learn by yourself (they don't need any special training / knowledge etc for someone to effectively training).

Asking me to go sandbox because i have different opinion than you is not so  "lovely".

Anyway it's topic about feedback so there is my feedback, no need to your negative attitude.

Does aqnybody else have the problem to run out of skill points?

As you can see in the picture below I have a lot of skills that could be upgraded but I have no skill points left to do so.

post-14535-0-16198700-1427709294_thumb.p

My occupation is park ranger, lucky, fast learner, hemophobic, prone to illness and weak stomach. Playing on 8 months after apocalypse.

I never had this lack of skill points in previous builds. Since there are a lot of more skills and levels to spend points in build 31 and the skills just need less points (like 50 for the 1st level) the general xp might need to be tweaked.

I think that was planned to be that way.

In previous builds character had tons of skill points and you spent them on everything that you could because of that.

Now you must think what upragade and what not, what's best for your character, for your survival.

I liked that sytem, is much more harder and you must choose where invest your points.

The limitation on skill points is indeed deliberate. You shouldn't be able to become a master of all skills, but only a few. The point is that you'll need to rely on your wits to get past your build's deficiencies, or rely upon the NPCs (when they drop), or other human players (on a server).

Ah that explains a lot. I thought the limit on the skills was only based on the slower learning speed. But it make totally sense that you have to plan carefully how your character should develope. The "fast learner" trait is less op, cause you might be a fast learner in all of the skills but still have to focus on some of them.

Unfortunately, it seems that I have made some bad decisions in character development. :/

I think outdoorsman should stay as +2 until something like a rain jacket is added... Currently it's a must have trait because colds are such a pain in the butt in the first place and there's no way to avoid them except ducking in and out of buildings. In any strategy where you're not based right in town and house hopping, wetness is unavoidable.