Feedback on the new Trait System

Moose65

Outdoorsmen - Seriously underbudgeted. 2 Points to become immune to colds (especially with how difficult they are to treat).

All thumbs - 100% free points similar to light drinker. Not sure if we still wanted things like this.

Slow Reader - Another 100% free point perk.

Cowardly - For those abusing Adrenaline Junkie, this becomes free points when combo with Agoraphobic + Claustrophobic. I understand that it has its place, but perhaps it should somehow be exclusive when the previous two are in use since your already constantly panicked.

Dexterous - Overpriced for a QoL perk that isn't needed. 4 points can buy a lot of other traits that are much better. Should be 2.

Fast Reader - Another overpriced QoL perk that isn't needed. 4 points is too much. Should be 2.

Desensitized - Currently broken, you can still get panicked.

Veteran VS Police Officer - Basically the same point costs since Veteran can take cowardly, making them both -4 costs. Not sure if cowardly is meant as free points for the Veteran, but your essentially getting panic immunity + level 2 aiming reloading VS level 2 aiming, level 3 reloading, and 1 in nimble. I don't see much reason to ever choose the police officer over this if your concerned about using guns.

Tooltips - These need some work, as some things simply need better explanation. For example, baseball player simply says +1 blunt. However, RJ said in the patch notes that it allows for faster bat swings. Another example is handyman. NOBODY would pay 6 points for simply "faster barricading". However (and I'm going on an assumption here), Handyman also added a significant amount of HP to player crafted structures/furniture previously. This is NOT listed anywhere in the tooltip, and I'm assuming it still does.

Edit: Wow, Handyman is really incomplete on the tooltip. It gives blunt and axe maintenance at level 1, as well as carpentry at level 1. No idea if it still has the previous structure bonus, but yeah.......needs more info.

I'll add some more after some more testing with the new system.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think adrenaline junkie should just make you less depressed when you're panicked or something.  Everyone should run faster/run longer when panicked, but only some enjoy the adrenaline rush.  The adrenaline junkie / fear trait combo wouldn't be as big of a deal if it only affected depression or non-physical attributes.

I think adrenaline junkie should just make you less depressed when you're panicked or something.  Everyone should run faster/run longer when panicked, but only some enjoy the adrenaline rush.  The adrenaline junkie / fear trait combo wouldn't be as big of a deal if it only affected depression or non-physical attributes.

Probably needs a higher cost to it. Right now it costs 6, and you can take up to 10 free points of panic related negatives. Should probably be raised to a cost of 10.

Probably needs a higher cost to it. Right now it costs 6, and you can take up to 10 free points of panic related negatives. Should probably be raised to a cost of 10.

I'm not arguing one way or another for point cost, I'm talking more about what I see as a flaw in the design of the trait altogether - that is that panicked people should all get some kind of speed boost.  An adrenaline junkie is someone who enjoys the adrenaline rush, not someone who can make better use of it somehow.  At least that's how I see it, I don't know.

I'm not arguing one way or another for point cost, I'm talking more about what I see as a flaw in the design of the trait altogether - that is that panicked people should all get some kind of speed boost.  An adrenaline junkie is someone who enjoys the adrenaline rush, not someone who can make better use of it somehow.  At least that's how I see it, I don't know.

Well this is semantics about the meaning of the words, but the effect of the trait is intentional for the sake of gameplay, balance aside, so what you're saying is the name doesn't match the effect, not that the effect is wrong since we designed the effect specifically.

Well this is semantics about the meaning of the words, but the effect of the trait is intentional for the sake of gameplay, balance aside, so what you're saying is the name doesn't match the effect, not that the effect is wrong since we designed the effect specifically.

Yeah, that.  

There are likely a bunch of balance issues and cheesable combos with the veteran, still so this is very welcome feedback, thanks! :)

Veteran defiantly needs the point cost raised.

Currently Desensitized is bugged (Agoraphobic and Claustrophobic both cause panic, whereas cowardly does not). Personally, to make Veteran and police officer real choices, make it to where Veterans are unable to choose Cowardly, Agoraphobic, and Claustrophobic. To prevent new player traps associated with it, also lockout Brave and Adrenaline Junkie.

I would also raise the cost from -6 to -8. Panic immunity is a powerful tool.

In terms of balancing out the trait gameplay wise - how about adrenaline junkie gives a speed boost when you are near/see X number of zombies?  That way trait-related panic has no effect, only real, immediate threats.

In terms of balancing out the trait gameplay wise - how about adrenaline junkie gives a speed boost when you are near/see X number of zombies?

I really think a point cost raise would solve most of the issues (since your accuracy is gonna be complete junk if your comboing it). Making it cost somewhere between 10~12 points would make you think more about it (Since right now you effectively trade Accuracy for movement speed, but at the moment your also getting up to 4 bonus points).

In terms of balancing out the trait gameplay wise - how about adrenaline junkie gives a speed boost when you are near/see X number of zombies?

I really think a point cost raise would solve most of the issues (since your accuracy is gonna be complete junk if your comboing it). Making it cost somewhere between 10~12 points would make you think more about it (Since right now you effectively trade Accuracy for movement speed, but at the moment your also getting up to 4 bonus points).

A point cost increase would certainly act as a disincentive to combo it; I just think it's a pretty silly combo to begin with.  If the devs designed the trait with that combo trade-off in mind, then yeah that works.

A point cost increase would certainly act as a disincentive to combo it; I just think it's a pretty silly combo to begin with.  If the devs designed the trait with that combo trade-off in mind, then yeah that works.

Keep in mind though, 10~12 might be a harsh nerf, but panic does bring SEVERAL penalties that will make you consider things such as.......

Horrible accuracy

Reduced cone of vision

Reduced perception radius

High levels of panic have caused at least 1 death for me (then again I was using hard of hearing which further reduced perception radius). Its quite easy to get bit by a zombie that you don't even notice that is behind you because of a severely decreased perception radius..

After thinking about it more, somewhere between 8~10 point cost would be more appropriate, especially if cowardly gets locked out as a choice if you take both phobias.

Also while your in here Lemmy, can you answer what Fast Learner is suppose to do exactly? When I tried it out with foraging, I could not notice any XP boosts with it at all.

It boosts your XP gain for sure. If not its a bug but how do you know it wasn't boosted out of curiosity?

We'll remove certain traits that are cheesable with other traits, should be easy enough.

Also while your in here Lemmy, can you answer what Fast Learner is suppose to do exactly? When I tried it out with foraging, I could not notice any XP boosts with it at all.

It boosts your XP gain for sure. If not its a bug but how do you know it wasn't boosted out of curiosity?

Self testing.

Used a park ranger as the basis, foraging a stone gives 3 XP.

Tried again with a park ranger with fast learner, and when I foraged and found another stone, the XP change was still only 3.

If it does boost things, its by such a small amount to not even be noticeable.

Was mainly trying to get info on it to update the Foraging Guide.

Self testing.

Used a park ranger as the basis, foraging a stone gives 3 XP.

Tried again with a park ranger with fast learner, and when I foraged and found another stone, the XP change was still only 3.

If it does boost things, its by such a small amount to not even be noticeable.

something to look into - it should be significant enough to notice. But tbh RJ took the trait stuff up after I started it with Twiggy so I couldn't say for sure what its absolute effect is at this point. Best wait for him :)

Just remove single player traits from multiplayer, the sleeping traits atm are just too many free points, and drinking a lot should just be a 2 point bonus.

Forgot about those. May even consider removing them from single player till Tiredness is 100% working (You still can't pass out from exhaustion).

How does the Fireman work with Brawler trait? If I take both I get +4 to axe and 1 to blunt but where axe skill is it only shows +75%. Not even +125% which Fireman gives alone. Do those traits stack or exclude each other?

How does the Fireman work with Brawler trait? If I take both I get +4 to axe and 1 to blunt but where axe skill is it only shows +75%. Not even +125% which Fireman gives alone. Do those traits stack or exclude each other?

Ingame it  shows 125% but its still same as lvl 3.

This sounds like a bug - they should for sure stack.

Actually, further to my above post, in-game this is working as intended, the xp speed boost caps at 3 points in that skill.

Actually, further to my above post, in-game this is working as intended, the xp speed boost caps at 3 points in that ski

So taking more than 3 points in any skill wont improve my XP gain ?

Oh and those general skill points (when you lvl up) are much faster to get than normal skill lvls. So i can have like 3-4 points to spend but no skills unlocked to put them into.

FIREFIGHTER : too much combat oriented. It should have a physical skill/bonus and a medical skill bonus ( 75/100% ).

: Axe should be secondary. You could just let it keep the door breaking skill bonus with an axe. Give him a moral resistance/immunity when facing fire too.