Choosing between two laptops, which is better?

DoctahWong

Hello fellow forumers, long time no see. Had some personal issues that needed to be dealt with! Been missing this place for a while!
But without further of due, let's get on with this problem of me not being able to pick! Because I am clueless with techstuff. c:

So, I was actually planning to ask my dad to buy me a PS4 for my birthday but two days ago I had a change of mind and decided that I'd let him get me a new laptop(This one's I'm using is an aging Samsung).

Now I'm more of an ASUS kind of person and was thinking of getting the ASUS N550JK but then I found this laptop made by Lenovo called the Y50-70 which is overall more up-to-date than the ASUS but I'll state what I like AND dislike about these two. Take note that I'm gonna be using it for multimedia and gaming purposes plus schoolwork!
First off, the ASUS:
I love the aluminum finish and overall design except one thing; the aluminum keys, I wish they just kept the black keys. I also heard this thing has loads of heating issues when it comes to games that are high in system requirements. But that's pretty much all I have against it.

Next up, we got the Lenovo Y50:

I'm digging the black and red color scheme and it's design too, other than it gathering up smudges, it doesn't really bother me. Two things however; it tends to flex when pressing keys in the middle and the worst thing I have against it is the fact it doesn't come with a internal optical disc drive but an EXTERNAL one, which could be trouble if the one I buy online is defective. As I plan to buy a physical copy of GTA V as the UAE has these rules where games like that tend to be banned. .-.

But now the important part; the specs:

Here are the links to the two laptops:

Lenovo Y50-70

ASUS N550JK

A bonus question I have is if I can run Grand Theft Auto V on High Settings with the Lenovo and ASUS? I'm sure I can with the Steam games I have in mind!

And that's all I had to say, I hope this was worth the read, please do post your opinions on both and conclude on what is best!

Thank you for reading and hope the game progresses more in the near future! It's great being back. :)

Firstly, Adieu or "of due"???

Secondly, I'd personally recommend the Asus from personal experience rather than anything specification-wise. My last 2 laptops have been Asus's (wouldn't trust any other brand, as far as longevity) and have both lasted at least 6 years each with almost daily usage. Sure, the batteyr was down to lasting 15-20min after all that time, but the performance still out-stripped many new 'cheap' laptops, and compared to other's laptops the parts had a very low fail rate.

Although your bump post is an abhorrent disgusting act of disgrace, I'll pass you this piece of wisdom in hopes that you'll steer clear of the Lenovo...

Firstly, Adieu or "of due"???

Secondly, I'd personally recommend the Asus from personal experience rather than anything specification-wise. My last 2 laptops have been Asus's (wouldn't trust any other brand, as far as longevity) and have both lasted at least 6 years each with almost daily usage. Sure, the batteyr was down to lasting 15-20min after all that time, but the performance still out-stripped many new 'cheap' laptops, and compared to other's laptops the parts had a very low fail rate.

Although your bump post is an abhorrent disgusting act of disgrace, I'll pass you this piece of wisdom in hopes that you'll steer clear of the Lenovo...

I actually mean of due. :P

As for your recommendation, I thank you for the suggestion and I'll get the ASUS then even though the Lenovo is powerful in terms of specs and such. Doesn't really matter though, however I will try keeping up to date with the site to see if I can get the N551 or I can switch to the G551JM which is on the site which is a much different price(5499AED which is 1497USD but we can probably afford it). But thanks again!

As for my act of disgrace... it is not, I am the one true god and nothing shall stop me, you mere mortal! I AM A GO- *is banished*

personally, i would be extremely wary of Lenovo after the whole Superfish Malware fiasco

of course, they are saying all the right things NOW, after getting busted doing shady bullshit

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/19/technology/security/lenovo-superfish/

Computer maker Lenovo has been shipping laptops prepackaged with malware that makes you more vulnerable to hackers -- all for the sake of serving you advertisements.

personally, i would be extremely wary of Lenovo after the whole Superfish Malware fiasco

of course, they are saying all the right things NOW, after getting busted doing shady bullshit

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/19/technology/security/lenovo-superfish/

Computer maker Lenovo has been shipping laptops prepackaged with malware that makes you more vulnerable to hackers -- all for the sake of serving you advertisements.

Well, this is probably going to be my first swear word I ever said in this forum but, holy f*cking shit.

Tbh I actually had a lot of trust in Lenovo, being in 2nd place in my opinion below ASUS which is my first, but now that you shed some light. I'm definitely going with the ASUS, not this laptop though, there's a chance I may get that G551JM laptop.

Thanks again syfy and Realmkeeper, this basically concludes my choice and I'm going for either the G551JM or N550JK(If my dad can't reach the price point of the G551JM, then we're going for the N550). :)

Archived