Rare Loot Finding Trait

Mondegreen

My suggestion is for a means of detecting rare loot from within a pile of containers, such as a pile of zombie corpses. The container that holds a rare item -- e.g. an axe, baseball bat, ammo -- would be highlighted within the list in order for the item to be located more easily. As a trait it might be titled 'observant' or something similar (to distinguish from 'eagle eyed' as well).

From the perspective of realism it makes sense that someone would be able to observe rare loots amongst a pile of items in certain cases; from a gameplay perspective it would reduce the sometimes tedious pilfering through piles and piles of corpses and/or other containers that can happen.

Please voice any thoughts or suggestions you may have about this idea. (fedora)

i believe that trait is currently known as "Lucky"

i disagree with any one item being highlighted no matter how rare it may be.

taking time to be sure you thoroughly looted the containers in front of you is far more realistic than any other idea.

if this was real life, we would be doing the exact same "tedious" things to ensure we got everything good off Container X that we do in the game. THAT is realism.

Yeah, I could see a trait allowing the finding of rarer loot easier. A lot of games have this (Neo Scavenger''s eagle-eye, and Skyrim's Imperials come to mind) But I am adamantly against highlighting containers of interest...part of the charm is going to the trouble of securing the perimeter of the target structure, looking in the windows, finding a point of entry, and examining all the containers to find the elusive items.

Besides, how else would I get my 48 piece tableware set? ;)

i believe that trait is currently known as "Lucky"

i disagree with any one item being highlighted no matter how rare it may be.

taking time to be sure you thoroughly looted the containers in front of you is far more realistic than any other idea.

if this was real life, we would be doing the exact same "tedious" things to ensure we got everything good off Container X that we do in the game. THAT is realism.

This would be entirely different from Lucky in that it would be a means of finding loot more easily, not increasing the frequency or amount of drops.

I raised the realism point to suggest it's not far-fetched that rare items might be spotted by keen-eyed survivors. Especially an axe lying in the middle of a pile of corpses ... that really wouldn't require being overly observant! There are however limits to realism in the efforts of making games more exciting (e.g. why don't survivors have to use the bathroom?) and this is in the vein of those suggestions.

Yeah, I could see a trait allowing the finding of rarer loot easier. A lot of games have this (Neo Scavenger''s eagle-eye, and Skyrim's Imperials come to mind) But I am adamantly against highlighting containers of interest...part of the charm is going to the trouble of securing the perimeter of the target structure, looking in the windows, finding a point of entry, and examining all the containers to find the elusive items.

Ah no, I meant within the confines of the inventory the container would be highlighted; I agree, highlighting them in the actual world would remove the charm of searching. This is just about making it slightly more efficient to search for high-value items within containers you're already searching for.

Appreciate the comments guys, thank you.

Ah no, I meant within the confines of the inventory the container would be highlighted; I agree, highlighting them in the actual world would remove the charm of searching. This is just about making it slightly more efficient to search for high-value items within containers you're already searching for.

Appreciate the comments guys, thank you.

I see. That sounds a lot better...kind of a "See, aren't you glad you picked 'observant?' You would have missed this otherwise." Yeah, I could live with that for sure.