Zeek's Haven [24/7 US East|NY Server][PVP][CSpawns][24GB RAM][Weekly Soft Wipes][Monthly Hard Wipes]

RichCoconut

build 32.20 has proven to be a bit of a challenge to get on (what with the new Steam MP) so mac users are currently SOL (soon outta luck)  though I understand there is a working method to log on for windows provided by our loyal friend Grumpy >: (

http://zeekshaven.freeforums.net/thread/398/bypass-steam-get-zeeks-fast
Thanks Grumpy >: (, we love you! you're such a peach xD

• 3 weeks later...

Unban the name Suede, Zeek. Tired of using the name pumpkin. Wanna be Suede.

Out of all the fucking cheaters you banned, do I deserve to be banned for calling a twat a twat? Give me my name back.

I'm talking to Zeek here, no one else. 

hi xD

we're just pleased as punch to remind folks that we are currently on the public branch and we're taking in discussions on incorporating some mods.  nothing crazy but maybe a few things that'll make the server either: a) more challenging or b) more realistic/true to a real-world apocalypse.  get your opinion heard and join the discussion.
zeekshaven.net

Our entire forum is for discussion. there are general discussion boards, suggestion boards and all kinds of different threads to get involved in and don't be afraid to post a thread of your own if you can't find a certain discussion topic already started. It's pretty organized over there and we do supply a type of mod that no other server does... currency.

From what I understand; Hydrocraft includes a wealth of guns, and radios will (hopefully) be implemented in build 33. I am not sure if they will run the same way as the mods may have them worked out, or if the devs will copy/paste the best mod version's coding into the game. But I'm with you on that one. Some radios will be a HUUUGE game changer. We have a few threads on our forums that discuss suggested mods for the server as wellas some ideas for expanding on current limitations.

I can't say I'm sure where everyone's hate is coming from for hydrocraft. I guess folks are just inclined to side with the underdogs, but seriously check it out. I tried it on SP and was AMAZED with the extra things that add so many levels of realism.

zeekshaven.net

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand; Hydrocraft includes a wealth of guns, and radios will (hopefully) be implemented in build 33.

Where did you hear this? Hydrocraft has no radios and only a few ranged weapons, most of which are not "guns".
They're running that 3D gun mod along with several others. Just confused I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

KOS (Kill On Sight) is allowed 

Hello griefer heaven!

It's really not as bad as you think. Honestly. If it even is really. Maybe if the map was like.. 50x50 tiles lol.

Actually it is 

i have played on this server the last few days and every single person i have met has KOS'd me without ever saying a word.Sure the players in the chat are nice, until you happen to randomly run into one of them then they shoot you in the back for lulz.T he server is great but the KOS kills any enjoyment to be had in the long term.

when you are not a sociopathic murder and only want to play with other people and work on your characters skills,getting shot in the back repeatedly kinda kills the fun factor, at least for me.

this server could be great without so many trigger happy griefers

it's unfortunate really :(

Actually it is 

i have played on this server the last few days and every single person i have met has KOS'd me without ever saying a word.Sure the players in the chat are nice, until you happen to randomly run into one of them then they shoot you in the back for lulz.T he server is great but the KOS kills any enjoyment to be had in the long term.

when you are not a sociopathic murder and only want to play with other people and work on your characters skills,getting shot in the back repeatedly kinda kills the fun factor, at least for me.

this server could be great without so many trigger happy griefers

it's unfortunate really :(

I'm sorry you've had such an unfortunate experience, Striker! But I assure you not everyone's is the same.

Many non-"sociopathic murders" play together just fine on our server, and actually have always seemed to be the majority by a large margin - there are almost always a few groups of 2-6 players, and sometimes even larger. Most of them don't tend to run bravely through the city without backup, though - they stay cautious, and tend to build their bases and safe-houses in nondescript locations.

I myself played a character I kept alive for somewhere between 30 and 50 hours of game-time. Gradually meeting strangers, he lived in a community that grew to a fairly robust size of 10 or 11 players, before it collapsed in on itself for becoming unmanageable. We formed relationships with other factions, some fairly tightly knit, others uncertain enough that we would not disclose the location of our bases to eachother - and trading was a daily activity. In all that time, I only encountered 5 true KOS bandits (not counting whatever those players are who chase everyone with a rolling pin - I don't know what to call them, but they hardly seem dangerous), but had scuffles with but 2 - I managed to kill both, but trusted the second a little too much and bled out. Sure, I had a profound sense of loss, for an hour or so - but it's all a part of the game, in my eyes. The game would have been much less interesting had I not become so attached to that character, and handled him so carefully as I did. I think it would be a bummer to place a blanket-ban on KOS behavior because I think it brings a needed element of danger to the server. It is most certainly a manageable threat - just take it slow!

I implore you to give us another run, sometime. Westpoint is kind of renown for hosting a larger concentration of apocalyptic scum, and is the home of a number of resident bandits. So stick around Muldraugh to start with. bandits wander over sometimes, but they're far less common. Keep a low profile - stick to the shadows, set up camp outside of the city. Watch global chat and take note of who's killing who to get an idea of anyone you need be weary of should they appear on your screen. If you want to group up with people, you can ask in global - but keep in mind that you're essentially communicating over an open radio channel - bandits may try to lure you to your demise, and friendlies are often hesitant to disclose their location; just as one might imagine would occur in a real apocalypse.

If you want to get started with a group, give a shout out over at our forums - there are usually a couple openly recruiting, and you can get a feel for their members and mitigate the risk of falling in with players intending you harm. If not, drop a message saying you'd like to find some people to play with either as a post or in the shoutbox - most people seem to get hits and invitations within a day or two.

You might be kind of surprised to hear that the well-known bandits don't tend to be treated any differently than anyone else in our community. Interacting with them in the forums, it's quite clear that they're not "sociopathic murderers" at all - they're normal players all the same, and it's largely accepted that they just prefer to play bandit-like characters. On multiple occasions I've seen a bandit react to a heavily disgruntled victim by choosing to lay off them and offering them loot in their next life - in a couple instances I've seen them offer to take the peeved player into their own base and give them a safe haven to build their skills, and offer game-tips and advice all the while. Maybe KOSers enjoy annoying players, maybe they do it for a competitive kill-count - but I think it's pretty rare that they're out with the explicit intent to ruin someone's day!

Thanks for the reply i appreciate it 

my experience with that server has been vastly different though. i have met 10 people accidentally while sticking to the shadows minding my own business and working on goals.every encounter has ended with me getting murdered by someone i never even saw coming usually while i was unarmed or only had melee.while they plug me with automatic weapons fire i have even asked some of the to please not murder me i get called a noob and told to gtfo the server because it's in the rules to KOS people 

meanwhile the chat is filled with people arguing over who killed who and who destroyed/took over who's base 

i found another server to play on so it's not that big a deal i really enjoyed the server you guys have until i tried meeting other players if everyone there just shoots on sight then it's pointless for me to be there 

i don't enjoy pvp (just my preference) and i don't think i would be a murdering bandit IRL if an apocalypse happened and i think this server is a lost cause if you want to actually play with other players 

eventually with free range KOS it always ends up kill or be killed 

luckily the server i have has rules about PvP and it has to be warranted within the story (it's an RP server)

so good luck with your killfest server i have moved on to better things.

i just thought whoever runs that server needed some honest feedback from a random person who found their server to inhospitable to new players or players who don't enjoy pvp 

the people in chat were awesome though so that was cool i did learn a lot 

unfortunately the bad outweighed the good in my case 

my experience with that server has been vastly different though. i have met 10 people accidentally while sticking to the shadows minding my own business and working on goals.every encounter has ended with me getting murdered by someone i never even saw coming usually while i was unarmed or only had melee.while they plug me with automatic weapons fire i have even asked some of the to please not murder me i get called a noob and told to gtfo the server because it's in the rules to KOS people 

meanwhile the chat is filled with people arguing over who killed who and who destroyed/took over who's base 

i found another server to play on so it's not that big a deal i really enjoyed the server you guys have until i tried meeting other players if everyone there just shoots on sight then it's pointless for me to be there 

i don't enjoy pvp (just my preference) and i don't think i would be a murdering bandit IRL if an apocalypse happened and i think this server is a lost cause if you want to actually play with other players 

luckily the server i have has rules about PvP and it has to be warranted within the story (it's an RP server)

No need to be rude, man, or subject our community to blanket assertions :(

KOS is permitted (so arguing against KOSers tends to be a fruitless debate), but it is most certainly not "the rules to KOS people". Nor is it a rule that KOSers must lay down their arms when someone complains. The vast majority of players don't KOS, regardless of your experience. I and many of our players don't enjoy PvP either - rather I tend to find it quite stressful and do what I can to avoid it - but I do believe it adds a lot to the game.

I never claimed that you would be a murdering bandit in a real apocalypse, nor anyone else - I only meant to imply that it's probable they would exist, as virtually all related lore and media tends to support. I find our server interesting because it strikes what I perceive as a good balance between play-styles - we are neither a constant deathmatch nor farmville-esque (though motivated players seem to be able to secure either of those extreme experiences nonetheless). It is, in my eyes, what the PZ experience should be.

I'm not at all claiming that you or anyone else must agree with my notion of the ideal experience - on the contrary, I'm glad you found a server that offers the experience that you were after - that is why we're all here, in the end!

Cheers and game on, Striker.

ADDENDUM: You've added some more, since my reply:

i just thought whoever runs that server needed some honest feedback from a random person who found their server to inhospitable to new players or players who don't enjoy pvp 

We most certainly do appreciate honest feedback! I was only frustrated by the formatting of your opinions as undisputed truth.

The parts that perturbed me were "it's in the rules to KOS" (whether said by you or another player), "everyone there just shoots on sight" and "eventually with free range KOS it always ends up kill or be killed" - those are "all-or-nothing" blanket assertions that simply are not true, as evidenced by the facts that's it's not in the rules to KOS, everyone on our server most certainly does not shoot on sight, and all servers who permit KOS definitely do not eventually devolve into strictly "kill or be killed" death-matches. I've been with Zeek's for 6 months and never found inspiration to consider it such a thing, and would wager that our regulars who have been with us just as long would not think to, either. Clearly your experience in those few days was different - I don't dispute that - but I do dispute your choice of phrasing.

While I felt the blanket assertions were generally unfair, the explicitly rude bit in my eyes was "so good luck with your killfest server i have moved on to better things." - that was neither feedback nor constructive in any way. Rather more an insult, in my eyes - you called our community names and imply it is bad instead of simply saying "it was not what I was looking for," as you returned later to imply with your edit.

"i think this server is a lost cause if you want to actually play with other players" - I provided you with the means to see that our server was not quite as you describe it in my last post - and how I saw you respond was "I don't care, your server and everyone on it sucks." It was kind of hard not to take offense.

Ultimately it's all water under-the-bridge  :) . But I implore you to keep these things in mind next time you leave some feedback on a server/community - the admins and members would undoubtedly appreciate it.

When you stop sucking at the game.  Come on back.   Enjoy playing house on the New Dawn server.   You can do all the things you requested on Zeeks.  You just have to be good and pick and choose who you trust to team up with.  Then realize the risks you take every time you make a supply run or trade.  Then act accordingly and you'll survive....longer.

Warned for not being lovely.

When you stop sucking at the game.  Come on back.   Enjoy playing house on the New Dawn server.   You can do all the things you requested on Zeeks.  You just have to be good and pick and choose who you trust to team up with.  Then realize the risks you take every time you make a supply run or trade.  Then act accordingly and you'll survive....longer. 

Don't ever advertise on our page again. Thank you.

This botheres me so much that it'd be nice if a moderator deleted his post of advertising his server on our servers, as that is rude, lying because you can't do everything on Zeeks as you can on other servers, being lightly ignorant, and a conflict of interest. Thank you.

i wasn't trying to be rude just honest with what i experienced 

i think the rude comment "when you stop sucking at the game" pretty much validates everything i said.

you guys have people on your server who are to put it bluntly, immature children who grief people for fun.

You keep talking about how everyone doesn't kill on sight but that contradicts what i actually experienced

every single person i met KOS'd 

every one of them 

all 10 of them 

i'm not saying your server is bad like i said i loved your server until i ran into other players

the players in chat were awesome (except for the KOS kids arguing and E-peening) 

i appreciate all the rational responses sincerely and again i apologize for coming off as rude.

i think the rude kid was one of your players trying to imply that me signing up for the server he mentioned was "playing house"these are the type of players i encountered on your server except for the one's in chat trying to help me everyone i actually met in game was rude to me just like Lord Gonfalon he wasn't advertising a server he was insulting me for signing up to a player friendly server with no KOS 

the immature kids who KOS everyone without exception contrary to what you guys are saying

ruined the fun for me and i am sure other random players have probably been discouraged from playing on your server because of it as well.

once again sorry for any perceived negativity as you guys do seem like a great group

it's too bad a few rotten apples spoiled the bunch for me 

i just stick to servers where pvp is optional 

mainly so when i do feel the need to fight someone i get a fair chance

instead of being blindsided by some fully loaded out nub who attacks unarmed players from behind/surprised 

i just trying to get to know the server and explore a bit minding my own business i didn't choose to team up with anyone so saying "be smarter with who you choose to team up with" is irrelevant because i never had the chance to every single person i met killed me for literally no reason with no warning and no words exchanged most of them didn't even search my stuff they just killed me and walked away saying stuff like saying "play smarter" doesn't apply either because as i said i was playing smart trying to avoid people and just look around and get familiar with the server that i thought was so awesome,usually after i was murdered i would get comments in local chat like 

"lololol you suck"

or "lololol gtfo noob"

mainly because i asked them not to kill me when i noticed i was being attacked 

most of the time i never saw the players until i was dead because they were either lagging and invisible 

or so far off screen with military grade guns that death was unavoidable 

i wasn't trying to be rude to anyone here i was trying to help you guys with what i saw was a problem 

hope this information helps in some way to prevent this griefing in the future 

As a hopeful ender to this conversation which is clearly best left in the "Can't please everyone" category, I'd just like to say that Reputation is a factor on our server.  it seems you met 10 people with a bad rep.  our server houses up to 64 players and there are currently over 300 memberships to our site. a drop in the bucket is what you experienced, as before I became an admin I had racked up all my hours (plenty of deaths included, it's ALL part of the game) either by myself or cautiously making alliances, all the while, sacrificing loads of loot and even entire base locations trying to avoid bandits and raiders as best as I could.  Without the challenge of trying to figure out other players, may as well play single player, is my opinion on the matter, but it's no surprise it's not the only way that people like to play.

We can't please everyone, but we do appreciate your feedback.  Thanks for your input and we hope you do what you can to enjoy your Project Zomboid experience to the fullest.  Thanks for the heads up, and all that we ask is that you try to remain unbiased about us.  If it ever comes up then try to remember that there is no one single way to play the game and a LOT of folks (more than 10...) are very capable and prefer the challenge of living peacefully in a bandit world.  

As an added tip, should you decide to come back to us in the future, might I suggest signing up on Zeekshaven.net to forge alliances, there's a lot less pressure from the chatbox, but the responsibility is still yours to decide whether or not someone is trustworthy.   Who knows, maybe you find someone who knows where raider traps are and don't end up walking down a road that some sniper worked hard on securing for his/her own cherry-picking fun.   I personally am not much of a pvper either.  Competition brings out the worst in people :(.   I don't see the fun value, but others do and they are entitled to have fun just as much as you or me or anyone else (supposing they play within the rules of the game)

Anyways... to cut this novel into a short speech, thanks for trying us out. We hope you give us another chance someday, but until then we are just happy to have you playing PZ at all. 

Having been on the server for a couple days I think the biggest problem is the numpad exploit that spawns every one of the new guns along with every size cannister of ammo. I think it's built into whichever mod adds the tons o' guns, because anyone can do it. The same thing has been happening on the official Spiffo mod server. So there are several players running around with unlimited guns n ammo, and the KOS fappery is even worse than usual in WP. There are piles of every type of gun and cannister of ammo laying around for anyone to pick up, along with the usual reload duping and piles of random crap from respawning containers. Don't get me wrong, I like anarchy servers. But this is seriously game breaking. Just check the global chat logs from last night or walk around downtown WP.